(#41 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
04-07-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
They do it possibly from being weeaboos. That or Otakus is what they are called.

Meh, sub watchers, I bet they didn't know that the only reason there are cuss words in their subs was because the fansubbers added them to appeal to the audience. -.-'

Seriously! Either make an effort to actually learn Japanese or quit saying

Hunny sempai is so kawaii desu ne!!

nuh uh you did not just lump otaku and weaboo together o.O""""

We otaku are a prideful clan!!!
We take an honest stand in our persistence to obtain more of our otaku needs... NEEEDS! FOOOL not WANTS. NEEDS!!!!!!

It is US that will splurge obscene amounts of money for garage kits, imported video games, perfect grade gundam models, and custom made otaku cosplay >.>"''
It is US that speak of nothing but the latest anime we saw... the manga we just read... or reminisce upon the anime and manga of times long past.
It is US who ignores the cries of that 4 page essay due first period tomorrow and instead opts for 25 episodes of Code Geass: lelouch of the Rebellion AND THEN SOME!
It is US that roam the schools with our cat tails, cat ears, bells, collars, and other otaku fare.
It is US that do EVERYthing in our power to take that one weekend off a month for that anime convention.
and it is US that CRY our hearts out when we can't make it because of PHYSICAL restrictions. and US that damn our personal obligations and forfeit all other unnecessary priorities for the sake of a 3-4 day heaven of otaku indulgences.

and weaboo?? WEABOO?!?!?!?!?
THEY! THEY are just wannabe otaku because
THEY can't possible possess the nerdom.. the geekdom...
the PURE unnatural obsession of all things japan that we, THE OTAKU, solely possess o.O""

and it is I who condemn the fool who takes this post as though a serious one >.>''''''

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

04-07-2010, 02:02 AM

*imagines above rant as spoken by a cat-ear, sunglasses-wearing everyguy standing in front of a vidscreen displaying pantyshots, brightfog-obscured bathhouse nudity, and high-volume nosebleeds while a anthemic fanfare plays*

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#43 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
04-07-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
*imagines above rant as spoken by a cat-ear, sunglasses-wearing everyguy standing in front of a vidscreen displaying pantyshots, brightfog-obscured bathhouse nudity, and high-volume nosebleeds while a anthemic fanfare plays*
see?!
this guys got the right idea!!! =D
propz! x]

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-07-2010, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
Why would you find it extremely obnoxious?
If someone I knew that were learning a foreign language "constantly threw in" terms from that language into conversation with people that do not speak that language, whether it be Japanese, French or Swahili, it would be extremely obnoxious.

Don't you think so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
I am going to assume you mean, throwing in English words, with English pronunciation, not Katakana borrowed words from English which probably comprise a good 10-20% of the modern Japanese language.
I am curious where in Japan 20% of Japanese language is katakana English...I think it is more like 2% at best, but it depends on what industry you are in. But yes, I am not talking foreign words adopted into Japanese but words that are not adopted. English speakers understand "samurai" and "sayonara" and "bento" but words like kawaii and kakkoii and sugoi are not in the regular vernacular.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Slykaz1 (Offline)
Tengoku!

Send a message via MSN to Slykaz1 Send a message via Yahoo to Slykaz1
04-07-2010, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
Whenever I read reviews about anime/manga/jdrama or read something related to it, I come across people that have to put japanese words in their sentences.

This are all real examples from Jdorama.com - and what the hell is this!? Why do so many people who're interested in Japanese entertainment act like utter retards?

Can't you just type proper English without the ^_^ kawaii kekkoiii sugu Yamapiii?
Simple....like Spanglish....they do Engalese. lol.

You shouldn't really have a cow about it... It's like telling us to speak British English instead of American English when most prolly do the Ameritish/Britican....lol.

P.S. If I do it...it's prolly cause I'm ignorant to the language and am learning as much as I can.

Property of Eiri & Pexster
Virtual Boyfriend...Hyakushi in *Indian suit*

Eiri - 41 : Rojjin -43 : Sly - 121 : Yuna7780 - 57 : reihino - 14 : Crani - 22 : Ramones1976 - 0 : AnimeBaby112 - 3 : Arikado - 1 : KikiBunny23 - 3 : Pexter -0

Last edited by Slykaz1 : 04-07-2010 at 04:02 AM.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-07-2010, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am curious where in Japan 20% of Japanese language is katakana English...I think it is more like 2% at best, but it depends on what industry you are in. But yes, I am not talking foreign words adopted into Japanese but words that are not adopted. English speakers understand "samurai" and "sayonara" and "bento" but words like kawaii and kakkoii and sugoi are not in the regular vernacular.
I am mostly speaking in terms of modern language and the frequency in which loanwords (a lot of which come from English) are used.

Even so, the simple fact that a katakana dictionary can have more than 48,000 entries, tells me that the frequency of katakana being used even in everyday language must be way above 2%.
Just pay close attention next time you read something, or even talk to somebody. I mean I know it all still depends, but it's a lot.

Amazon.co.jp: コンサイスカタカナ&#x 8A9E;辞典: 三省堂編修所: 本
(#47 (permalink))
Old
MonkeYMaideN (Offline)
New to JF

04-07-2010, 04:34 AM

I have to agree with MMM and Sitron here.

Although I'm too reclusive/shy to flat out call someone who talks like that out on their behavior, I do find it irritating.

It's one thing to mix languages if you live in a bilingual community where it's common, accepted, and people understand what you're saying. I live in Georgia, and I hear kids on my bus mix Spanish and English all the time without any issues.

It's one thing if you're practicing the language and simply forget a word, and use your native language to replace that word. We did it all the time in Chinese class, and I did it while practicing Chinese at home.

It's one thing if you're messing around with friends who understand that you're just joking when you randomly use foreign words while you talk. I'm a member of our school's anime club, and we have our moments.

BUT if you're doing it on a regular basis for the sole purpose of looking "cool" or acting like the people that language is linked to, it's dumb. Especially when you're around people who have no idea what you're saying, or people who know what the words mean but know you have no idea what you're talking about. ( I really don't think pop music should count, becuase it's a 2-3 minute song, not regular conversation, and the music itself is what truly matters when it comes to its popularity )

I emphasize the words regular basis and sole purpose, because it's okay to do it every once in awhile for whatever reason. But doing it constanly because you think it makes you look "awesome", whether it be on the internet or face to face, can get on people's nerves.

Now I haven't had any physical encounters ( only internet ) with people who talk the way Sitron described. But being an African American, I have seen several people who try to talk/act ghetto just to look cool, but end up making fools of themselves, so I can relate because I see it as no different than someone who puts "desu" at the end of every sentence or describes everything as "sugoi" or "kawaii" in an attempt to impress people with their "Japanese". It is irritating to me either way.

But in the end, there's really nothing you yourself can do. Either enough people will complain to make them change their behavior, or you should avoid them as much as you can. Don't let it eat away at you for too long.

That's just my two cents.

They're up in your face, they don't think you belong
Man, you got it, you got it goin' on
What breaks the weak just makes you strong
You got game, baby bring it on, bring it on

~ Donna Summer
(#48 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-07-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
I am mostly speaking in terms of modern language and the frequency in which loanwords (a lot of which come from English) are used.

Even so, the simple fact that a katakana dictionary can have more than 48,000 entries, tells me that the frequency of katakana being used even in everyday language must be way above 2%.
Just pay close attention next time you read something, or even talk to somebody. I mean I know it all still depends, but it's a lot.

Amazon.co.jp: コンサイスカタカナ&#x 8A9E;辞典: 三省堂編修所: 本
Depends on what industry you are in...but I cannot think of any industry where one out of five words in any sentence would be in katakana. Please feel free to correct me on that.

Yes, there are many katakana words in Japanese, but not 20% or 10% in any average conversation.

Regardless, this is not what the OP is talking about.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

04-07-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
If someone I knew that were learning a foreign language "constantly threw in" terms from that language into conversation with people that do not speak that language, whether it be Japanese, French or Swahili, it would be extremely obnoxious.

Don't you think so?

I would talk k-paxian then.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-07-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Depends on what industry you are in...but I cannot think of any industry where one out of five words in any sentence would be in katakana. Please feel free to correct me on that.

Yes, there are many katakana words in Japanese, but not 20% or 10% in any average conversation.

Regardless, this is not what the OP is talking about.
I think putting it in terms of "one out of every 5 words in every sentence" is a little too simplistic. I am talking about the modern language usage in all its facets as a whole. Perhaps 20% is an overestimate, but saying borrowed words only comprise 2% of everyday modern Japanese as a whole is certainly an underestimate. In any case, the fact is one cannot live a single day of their life in Japan without being bombarded with a significant number of borrowed words. My point here I guess is that gairaigo/wasei-eigo is a big part of the Japanese language, and that it can somewhat be related to people adopting words from the language they are learning into their own speech.

Anyhow, I will agree that this is somewhat off topic.