JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Why do you talk like this? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/31187-why-do-you-talk-like.html)

Sitron 03-31-2010 09:51 PM

Why do you talk like this?

Whenever I read reviews about anime/manga/jdrama or read something related to it, I come across people that have to put japanese words in their sentences.

Like this:

Quote:

"Yamapi got skills and looks. Besides, he's SUPERKAWAII"
Quote:

"Didn't expect Takuya can be quite comical in this one. Kawaii ne!"
Quote:

Takako-chan's totemo kawaii desu !
This are all real examples from Jdorama.com - and what the hell is this!? Why do so many people who're interested in Japanese entertainment act like utter retards?

Can't you just type proper English without the ^_^ kawaii kekkoiii sugu Yamapiii?

Columbine 03-31-2010 10:42 PM

Sorry, who's this aimed at? The majority of commenters on JF don't talk like this and those who do sooner or later get called on it.

Besides if it's an issue at JDorama.com, why not pitch your moans over there rather than here?

manganimefan227 03-31-2010 10:52 PM

They do it possibly from being weeaboos. That or Otakus is what they are called.

Meh, sub watchers, I bet they didn't know that the only reason there are cuss words in their subs was because the fansubbers added them to appeal to the audience. -.-'

Seriously! Either make an effort to actually learn Japanese or quit saying

Hunny sempai is so kawaii desu ne!!

:rolleyes:

Koir 03-31-2010 11:05 PM

Maybe it's a karmic balance against other anime/manga fans that seem to dislike everything that comes out nowadays for no apparent reason.

*seconds Columbine's comment about complaining to the originating forum and not here*

PockyMePink 04-01-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 806508)
Sorry, who's this aimed at? The majority of commenters on JF don't talk like this and those who do sooner or later get called on it.

Besides if it's an issue at JDorama.com, why not pitch your moans over there rather than here?

The OP isn't expressing anything against or for JDorama.com, or if/why people in JF talk like this. He's simply wondering why people talk/act this way with Japanese entertainment.

They're called weeaboos. They feel that using a little Japanese in their sentence makes them look cool or something. It's hard to explain the mind of a weeaboo.

iPhantom 04-01-2010 12:09 AM

I agree with Koir-Sama and Dezi-chan.

Sitron 04-01-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhantom (Post 806521)
I agree with Koir-Sama and Dezi-chan.

I don't agree with you. BECAUSE I JUST PICKED A RANDOM SITE. IT COULD'VE BEEN ANY JAPAN-RELATED SITE AND ID FIND THE SAME SHIT.

Koir 04-01-2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sitron (Post 806522)
I don't agree with you. BECAUSE I JUST PICKED A RANDOM SITE. IT COULD'VE BEEN ANY JAPAN-RELATED SITE AND ID FIND THE SAME SHIT.

What do you want us to do about it? o_O

Undertherose25 04-01-2010 01:34 AM

Quote:

我 偌 生氣。

:p

FYI: That's not Japanese, and yes I know my grammar is bad. :vsign:

darksyndrem 04-01-2010 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertherose25 (Post 806526)
我 偌 生氣。

:p

FYI: That's not Japanese, and yes I know my grammar is bad. :vsign:

I RUO ANGRY RRRRAAAWWWWRRRRRR (translated by google)

JackIsLost 04-01-2010 02:21 AM

i wish i was cool... iine!

darksyndrem 04-01-2010 02:36 AM

Doushite?!?!??!?!?!

Dooooouuuuuusshhiiiittteee???!?!!!!?!?!

PockyMePink 04-01-2010 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darksyndrem (Post 806534)
Doushite?!?!??!?!?!

Dooooouuuuuusshhiiiittteee???!?!!!!?!?!

- kimi wo suki natte shimattan darou?????????

*shot*

darksyndrem 04-01-2010 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PockyMePink (Post 806535)
- kimi wo suki natte shimattan darou?????????

*shot*

I should not have lol'd as hard as I did xD

oheygetonskypefoo

Nyororin 04-01-2010 02:50 AM

Quote:

Find an example of it on this site.

Ask the person who does it directly.

Do NOT yell at people who are trying to answer your question - accurately, in my opinion - just because it`s not the answer you want to hear.

Not everyone who has some interest in Japan talks like that. Ask the people who do.

RickOShay 04-01-2010 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sitron (Post 806505)
Whenever I read reviews about anime/manga/jdrama or read something related to it, I come across people that have to put japanese words in their sentences.

Like this:

This are all real examples from Jdorama.com - and what the hell is this!? Why do so many people who're interested in Japanese entertainment act like utter retards?

Can't you just type proper English without the ^_^ kawaii kekkoiii sugu Yamapiii?

Honestly I cannot tell you about people on those sites. I have no idea who they are nor their level of Japanese.
But I will say this, I live in Japan and have for quite some time. And I find myself using Japanese words when talking with other foreigners who can speak Japanese sometimes, despite the fact that we are talking in English. I think my most common words are "keitai", "konbini" and "nomihoudai". Honestly though this is not such an uncommon process I think among people who are learning a language. As for the people on those sites.. who knows,.. they might be just a bunch of kids trying to act cool or whatever. But for me it has just become a habit due to my surroundings and extensive studying of the language.

jbradfor 04-01-2010 04:49 AM

Quote:

I think they do it just to annoy you. And I think it's working.

Columbine 04-01-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbradfor (Post 806559)
I think they do it just to annoy you. And I think it's working.

Considering OP's behaviour in the thread, I think it's probably deserved.

@Rickoshay: hah! I did that too for a while, when I got home from Japan. Or at least, I kept inadvertently pronouncing words as if they were in katakana. Aisukuri-mu supuun, anyone? That's slightly different though right? That's like a "my brain is so saturated with Japanese I'm actually forgetting certain words in English" scenario. At least, I'm assuming you don't do it because you think that saying it half in japanese makes your opinion somehow more valid.

Aniki 04-01-2010 11:49 AM

Baka トロール.

TalnSG 04-01-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

On the other hand, why do you read it? If you want proper English or Japanese, why not limit yourself to professional (or at least adult) reviews. It would see to me that this comes with the territory. Any avid fan/groupie is going to adopt jargon reflecting their interests, regardless of accuracy, when posting in internet forums.

manganimefan227 04-01-2010 10:50 PM

They actually get dumber:

"TAMUHKI SEMPIE IS SO HOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT!!"

Yeah . . .

JasonTakeshi 04-02-2010 07:01 AM

robhol 04-05-2010 05:01 PM

A successful troll is no longer successful if he actually raises a valid point. Desu. ;)

I'll freely admit there is a tad more hating active in this thread than is, strictly speaking, necessary, but I can't pretend I don't find constant abuse of nihongo in the middle of any sentence a little bit annoying. Desu.

That being said, it's not really something I lose any sleep over, and I'd really suggest that TS find something better to be annoyed over. Desu.

(Note: all desus included for point clarification. Desu.) :rolleyes:

Daydreamer 04-05-2010 07:48 PM

before judging other people you should see what about u annoys others because i doubt that you're perfect, no one is perfect.

manganimefan227 04-05-2010 10:13 PM

That's true, but it doesn't exactly justify this. And like these guys did to me, we can open weeaboo eyes to the pride in our country they should have, or respect the Japanese culture and learn the language . . .

JayT 04-05-2010 10:54 PM

I agree with this. Nothing is more annoying than those youtube kids who whore out '^^', 'Sugoi ne!!' 'Kawaii!!'. Seriously, that get's so annoying.

SenseofTouch 04-06-2010 03:00 AM

It is nothing special. Singaporeans mix English with Mandarin expressions. I mix English expressions into my Cantonese. big deal it is common. When foreigners of Japanese use Japanese expressions, it does not mean anything. Sometimes I use Cantonese expression in an English speaking environment. Sometimes I use English expression. Sometimes I use the French expression and Japanese expression

JayT 04-06-2010 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenseofTouch (Post 807254)
It is nothing special. Singaporeans mix English with Mandarin expressions. I mix English expressions into my Cantonese. big deal it is common. When foreigners of Japanese use Japanese expressions, it does not mean anything. Sometimes I use Cantonese expression in an English speaking environment. Sometimes I use English expression. Sometimes I use the French expression and Japanese expression

Uh no it's not the same. Using one or two words over and over to try and imitate a Japanese person is lame.

JasonTakeshi 04-06-2010 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robhol (Post 807202)
A successful troll is no longer successful if he actually raises a valid point. Desu. ;)

I'll freely admit there is a tad more hating active in this thread than is, strictly speaking, necessary, but I can't pretend I don't find constant abuse of nihongo in the middle of any sentence a little bit annoying. Desu.

That being said, it's not really something I lose any sleep over, and I'd really suggest that TS find something better to be annoyed over. Desu.

(Note: all desus included for point clarification. Desu.) :rolleyes:

There are no valid points on the internets.

You lack rule 50. Desu.

Liongale 04-06-2010 04:23 PM

Is there the same hostile negativity if someone from another country fills their sentences with English/American words because it sounds cool to them? (Which they do.)

JackIsLost 04-06-2010 06:29 PM

there's many japanese songs that throw in american words even when it makes no sense. people still love the music nevertheless...

MMM 04-06-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackIsLost (Post 807319)
there's many japanese songs that throw in american words even when it makes no sense. people still love the music nevertheless...

I would say they throw in English words, not American words. But this is a little different than the original post.

SenseofTouch 04-06-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 807324)
I would say they throw in English words, not American words. But this is a little different than the original post.

It is exactly the same, but for some reason people make it a big deal when it's Japanese, but it's not. It doesn't mean a person is a geek or a wannabe; it just means they think it sounds cool/funny or simply they've adopted it to their speech. When I speak Japanese to friends, I mix in English expressions. When I speak Cantonese to friends, I mix in English or Mandarin expressions and so on. It is extremely common among multilingual societies or households. It is also extremely common for a person to constantly use the expressions of the language they're learning while speaking their native tongue.

MMM 04-06-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenseofTouch (Post 807325)
It is exactly the same, but for some reason people make it a big deal when it's Japanese, but it's not. It doesn't mean a person is a geek or a wannabe; it just means they think it sounds cool/funny or simply they've adopted it to their speech. When I speak Japanese to friends, I mix in English expressions. When I speak Cantonese to friends, I mix in English or Mandarin expressions and so on. It is extremely common among multilingual societies or households. It is also extremely common for a person to constantly use the expressions of the language they're learning while speaking their native tongue.

Pop music has nothing to do with how people really talk. Do those same singers toss in English when they are speaking Japanese conversationally?

No, they don't. Pop music lyrics are NOT conversational language communication.

It is common to mix languages in multi-lingual societies. However, I don't think the OP is talking about people that are living in a Japan/English mixed society.

It is also extremely common for a person to constantly use the expressions of the language they're learning while speaking their native tongue.

I don't know that it is "extremely common" but if I were friends with someone who was learning a new language and he or she couldn't help but "constantly" throw in expressions from the language he or she was learning, I would find it extremely obnoxious.

metalmark666 04-06-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

You may find the answers you are looking for at this website... http://www.angermanagementonline.com/

SenseofTouch 04-06-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 807326)
Pop music has nothing to do with how people really talk. Do those same singers toss in English when they are speaking Japanese conversationally?

It is common to mix languages in multi-lingual societies. However, I don't think the OP is talking about people that are living in a Japan/English mixed society.

It is also extremely common for a person to constantly use the expressions of the language they're learning while speaking their native tongue.

I don't know that it is "extremely common" but if I were friends with someone who was learning a new language and he or she couldn't help but "constantly" throw in expressions from the language he or she was learning, I would find it extremely obnoxious.

I didn't say a single word about pop music. Every single one of my Japanese friends throw English expressions into their Japanese. All of my Chinese friends throw in English into their Cantonese. Most of my Latin/Hispanic friends throw in Spanish into their English. Many people in Hong Kong throw in English words, phrases, and expressions into their daily speech while hardly knowing the language. Big deal. It is common and it is not a bad thing. It doesn't imply anything. Apparently, some dumbass decided to label foreigners using Japanese expressions as geeks and wannabes, and even dumber dumbasses followed. N*gga please.

MMM 04-06-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenseofTouch (Post 807329)
I didn't say a single word about pop music.

But you were responding to my comment to JackisLost's comment:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackIsLost (Post 807319)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 807324)

So we were talking about pop music when you made your comment.

Quote:

Every single one of my Japanese friends throw English expressions into their Japanese.

Like I said, in a multi-lingual society, this is normal. Keep in mind this is NOT normal in most of Japan, which is a not a multi-lingual society.
Quote:

Big deal. It is common and it is not a bad thing. It doesn't imply anything. Apparently, some dumbass decided to label foreigners using Japanese expressions as geeks and wannabes, and even dumber dumbasses followed. N*gga please.

How do you thing saying "N***** please" makes you look?

JasonTakeshi 04-07-2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 807326)

Why would you find it extremely obnoxious?

RickOShay 04-07-2010 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 807332)
Like I said, in a multi-lingual society, this is normal. Keep in mind this is NOT normal in most of Japan, which is a not a multi-lingual society.

I am going to assume you mean, throwing in English words, with English pronunciation, not Katakana borrowed words from English which probably comprise a good 10-20% of the modern Japanese language.

thcuteness 04-07-2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koir (Post 806523)
What do you want us to do about it? o_O

Maybe he wants us to use are awesome jforum powers and slay the losers? :/