JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Ronald McDonald (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/31193-ronald-mcdonald.html)

clintjm 04-01-2010 02:46 AM

Ronald McDonald

Should Ronald Retire or be banned?
If so, should International Branches and Japan McDonalds follow suite?

Why?

Ronald McDonald: Group Says He Promotes Childhood Obesity and Wants Him to Retire - ABC News

Retire Ronald

Retire that clown! - Google News

darksyndrem 04-01-2010 02:55 AM

I think there's a lot bigger things than Ronald promoting obesity in Children....mainly their obese parents. But I've been waiting for them to get rid of that thing for quite some time. God knows he doesn't eat at Mcdonalds, if he did, he would've had a heart attack by now.

berrypie 04-01-2010 05:45 AM

I rarely see him in Canada, probably he has been retreated. It seems that nowadays kids have no feeling about him... as there're tons of cartoon characters being produced every year (or even every month? every day?).

Personally I love the Colonel from KFC more than this funny clown :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by darksyndrem (Post 806542)
God knows he doesn't eat at Mcdonalds, if he did, he would've had a heart attack by now.

If he eats Mcdonalds, he won't be as slim as he is now.

RickOShay 04-01-2010 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clintjm (Post 806538)

Why?

Ronald McDonald: Group Says He Promotes Childhood Obesity and Wants Him to Retire - ABC News

Retire Ronald

No, he should not be retired. Promotes childhood obesity.. whatever... Why does everything have to be somebody else's fault. "Ronald makes kids fat".. no, lazy parents, and bad school systems that do not teach, or provide proper nutrition, or promote exercise make kids fat.

Columbine 04-01-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickOShay (Post 806572)
No, he should not be retired. Promotes childhood obesity.. whatever... Why does everything have to be somebody else's fault. "Ronald makes kids fat".. no, lazy parents, and bad school systems that do not teach, or provide proper nutrition, or promote exercise make kids fat.

I agree, but I can't help remember the section in Supersize Me where Kids were shown pictures of typical media characters. All of them could recognise Ronald Macdonald, not all of them could recognise say... Jesus or something.

That's a pretty heavily-ingrained media tool Macdonald's has there. I don't think they should be allowed to weild that kind of thing against kids so freely.

Aniki 04-01-2010 11:38 AM

If it will help reduce obesity in children, then sure, why not, but then again, Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Paris Hilton and plenty of others should be banned from television and radio too.

TalnSG 04-01-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clintjm (Post 806538)

Why?

Retire Ronald

These groups are demanding "corporate accountability", but whatever happened to PARENTAL accountability? :cool: There are healthier options at McDonalds, so it the fault of the person paying, not McD's if the kid is obese. It is also the parent's fault that the kid sits all day and doesn't burn off those calories.

They also seem to forget that Ronald McDonald also stands for charitiable care ..... Ronalds McDonald house.
:mad:
These people need to find something else to waste their time and money on..... like maybe fund raising for ill children?!?!?!

Michelle1968 04-01-2010 03:45 PM

I couldn't even tell you the last time I saw Ronald McDonald in a McDonald's commercial.

manganimefan227 04-01-2010 10:45 PM

It's funny how, besides happy meals, the healthy choices are more expensive though . . .

berrypie 04-01-2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manganimefan227 (Post 806632)
It's funny how, besides happy meals, the healthy choices are more expensive though . . .

I totally agree. Why should I pay more for hamster food! (My friend and I call veggies as "hamster food" 'cause I share my salad with my hamster. Of course, no dressing) Frankly speaking, you won't go to Mcdonald for just a salad or apple slices. The only reason I go to Mcdonald and eat is when I want some fries. :D

Then again, it doesn't really matter if he needs to be retired or not, I think time will fade Ronald out :p Or someday he will have a new renovation......