JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

History ~ Japan's War In Color : WW2 From the Japanese Side - 02-18-2007, 06:03 PM

World War Two is usually seen as a black & white war. But even in the 1930s color film was available and researchers have uncovered color footage of World War Two in japanese archive. Combined with historical data and personal letters, the result is Japan's War In Color, a documentary on Japan's implication in World War Two, with never seen before footage.

The war seen from the Japanese point of view, in colors. Two part video found on Youtube. I hope you enjoy this rare item.

Part 1. Japan's expansion in China, rising conflict with Western Powers

Part 2. The Axis, the Pacific War

"Men, I do not order you to fight; I order you to die". ~ Mustapha Kemal at the Battle of Gallipoli
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Hisuwashi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-18-2007, 06:50 PM

Great videos, thanks for posting them. IMO they should have waited for another decade before they attacked the US, before the European powers had time to recover but after Japan had time to build up its military in their pacific territories.

~ Wind Song ~
~ Windlied ~
~ Chant du vent ~
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

02-18-2007, 08:29 PM

The US oil embargo would have stifled the Japanese war machine long before that.

"Men, I do not order you to fight; I order you to die". ~ Mustapha Kemal at the Battle of Gallipoli
(#4 (permalink))
Old
maitrekong (Offline)
New to JF

02-19-2007, 11:38 AM

i don't know lots of things about WW2 in japan..can you give me more information please?

maitre kong
http://kingkongdesiles.skyblog.com
correct me
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

02-19-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitrekong View Post
i don't know lots of things about WW2 in japan..can you give me more information please?
Start here : http://www.japanforum.com/forum/gene...tora-tora.html

Then step here : http://www.japanforum.com/forum/gene...lls-japan.html

I'll make more threads devoted to the Pacific War. It was a very important time of Japan's history which is vital to know if one is to get an understanding of the influences that shaped modern Japan. So if you're interested, keep your eyes open for my World War 2 history threads threads.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
maitrekong (Offline)
New to JF

02-19-2007, 05:33 PM

thank you it's very interesting!! and it's very interesting to see differents movies we can see how each country show events

maitre kong
http://kingkongdesiles.skyblog.com
correct me
(#7 (permalink))
Old
dannavy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

08-28-2007, 01:18 PM

The sad part is how the populace meekly sat by and allowed themselves to be dragged into this catastrophe, especially most of the senior officers of the Imperial Fleet who displayed serious reservations about a war with the United States. The Navy had to keep Admiral Yamamoto at sea to protect him from being killed by Army hotheads who saw him as a pro-Western toad.

Emperor Hirohito was guilty due to his silence during the course of the war even when it became obvious that defeat was eventual, had he stood up and opened his mouth, even risked his life to demand an end to the conflict he would have been seen as a saint, a martyr against madness but he chose to keep silent.

The color footage is amazing and poetic in its timeless sorrow, I cried when they talked about having to kill the animals at Ueno Zoo in Tokyo, the child who wrote her letter begging the Zoo Keepers not to kill her favorite elephant, Miss Harra.

It's one thing to speak of the war from outside Japan, it's another thing to actually stand at the places of history like Yamamoto's command cave at Yokosuka or the spot where Douglas MacArthur touched down at Atsugi Naval Air Station or the many ruined battlements overlooking the expected landings of the never attempted Operation Olympic or Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

USN Japan 1985 - 1997, best years of my life.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Saruri (Offline)
愛された恋人

Send a message via MSN to Saruri
08-28-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avary_Ninja View Post
Start here : http://www.japanforum.com/forum/gene...tora-tora.html

Then step here : http://www.japanforum.com/forum/gene...lls-japan.html

I'll make more threads devoted to the Pacific War. It was a very important time of Japan's history which is vital to know if one is to get an understanding of the influences that shaped modern Japan. So if you're interested, keep your eyes open for my World War 2 history threads threads.
Damn,I can't open those sites and can't see the movies...

Sans toi,les émotions d'aujourd'hui ne sont que la peau morte d'autre fois..

http://www.myspace.com/sallypaparazzi
(#9 (permalink))
Old
SakeinmyOchoko (Offline)
New to JF

08-28-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannavy85 View Post
The sad part is how the populace meekly sat by and allowed themselves to be dragged into this catastrophe, especially most of the senior officers of the Imperial Fleet who displayed serious reservations about a war with the United States. The Navy had to keep Admiral Yamamoto at sea to protect him from being killed by Army hotheads who saw him as a pro-Western toad.

WOW! My History class was seriously inadequate! Thankyou!

Heres one of my favorite quotes from Admiral Yamamoto:
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

Now wheres that portal to Seiren?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
dannavy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

08-28-2007, 06:46 PM

You're welcome. You know the Admiral lived a decade in the United States as a Naval Attache to the Japanese counsel General? He attended Harvard and went cross country with friends from the U.S. Naval Accadamy.

He was regarded as a fine poker player and performed stunts like standing on his head over a chair while totally drunk. He loved to gamble constantly, wagering street races, track meets and bar brawls.

Of course the Admiral was missing a few fingers, he lost them at the Battle of Tsushima Strait during the Ruso/japanese war.

He once responded to a fellow officer who claimed Japan could easily over run America because her ethnic diversity would cause more infighting. He said he passed by a car that had broken down on the side of a road. There was a black family in the car and the man had no spare nor money to get one. A white man stopped to fix the man's tire and a chinese man living near by offered the family water and food. "Be carefull how you insult your adversary my friend, Americans may look chaotic because they lack the advantage of our one-race people but if the situation demands? They will be demons in battle.

The Yamamoto family still lived in the same house in Kamakura and in 1986 while I was based on the USS Midway I had the crazy idea of simply knocking on their door and asking if I could take pictures. Insted one of his Grandson's allowed me inside and let me hold one of his service swords, which was a great treat. Yamamoto was never an enemy of America but he was a dedicated officer of the Imperial Navy and though there were rumors he wanted to resign over the planning for Pearl Harbor, honor and duty to the people held him to his service till death.

You couldn't ask for a more divoted servant in uniform than that man.

USN Japan 1985 - 1997, best years of my life.