JapanForum.com  


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
termogard's Avatar
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 600
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ウラジオストク、沿海地方、露西亜
Question Excuse me.... - 04-04-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
For the past 18 months I've been learning French. I regret it. It's such a useless language.
...it sounds merely strange for any educated person.....
Reply With Quote
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Wani (Offline)
New to JF
 
Posts: 1
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Fukuoka
04-04-2010, 10:02 PM

Why exactly did you decide to learn French if you weren't interested in it?
I mean the usefulness of a language is extremely relative.
When I was in high school, everyone learned Spanish because "it's more useful", while I studied German because I liked it. As a result, none of my friends can ask for directions in Madrid, while I can still read the Süddeutsche Zeitung.

Sadly, I have no use whatsoever of German in my professional life in Japan (Japanese and French), but I'm glad I can speak English or German.
Reply With Quote
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned
 
Posts: 124
Join Date: Feb 2008
04-04-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
You still didn't answer why Japanese would be more useful? By your logic, all three of your languages are more spoken in Europe than Japanese, so why Japanese?

My logic is that France is just like any other European country, hence the no need to learn it. Japan can offer me something different.
Quote:
As for all your knowledge of France, have you actually lived in France before? Do you have any idea why year after year, it's either first or second when it comes to Quality of Life?
It depends on which lists you read. According to the UN and the Economist, it mostly is a Scandinavian country that tops the list, usually Norway.



Quote:
And, Germany's economy is bigger, but it definitely isn't "far bigger". But that's besides the point; a bigger economy, doesn't necessarily mean more job opportunities!
Austria and Germany combined have an economy that's 46% bigger than France's, and if you also take Switzerland which is mostly a German speaking country, you get a German speaking economy in Europe that's 60% bigger than France's.

Quote:
For your last sentence, I have no idea where you get your facts from, but these are the ones I've seen with a quick search on google.

In 1999, French was the 11th most common first language in the world, with 77 million first language speakers and another 51 million second language speakers,

Today; spoken as a first language by about 136 million people worldwide. Around 190 million people speak French as a second language, and an additional 200 million speak it as an acquired foreign language.

I see an INCREASE, not a decrease!
What about the world population has it GROWN at the same time? Of course there will be more French speakers in absolute numbers when the African populations are growing! But when you consider the decline of French as a secondary/third language all over the world, several African countries dropping French from the curriculum, and French only being used in 11% of all EU documents now, as opposed to 40% in the 60s EVEN YOU should get a hang of it.



Quote:
Perhaps, you're not getting along with the language so you're trying to find an excuse to drop it!
I didn't even have to look for an excuse. France and French has nothing to offer me.

Quote:
I speak dialects of Berber, Arabic, English and French. Berber and Arabic are TOTALLY useless for me,
Sure Arabic is useless for someone living in one of the 22 ARAB countries in the world. And I'm pretty sure Berber is pretty useless for someone coming from Maghreb....
Reply With Quote
(#14 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss's Avatar
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 143
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Francisco
04-05-2010, 12:00 AM

So you "wasted" time learning French, now you're wasting more time bawwwing about it on an internet forum? Does not make sense.
If you are done with the language get over it and move on.
Reply With Quote
(#15 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227's Avatar
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼
 
Posts: 987
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In a Starry Night with Fire flies
04-05-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Whats cool about France? It's just like any other big European country. Just like any other place you'll find that Lady Gaga, Beyonce and any other American artist top the charts over there, that they also love to watch Lost, Heroes, House, etc. There's nothing special about France anymore.
OK children say it with me,

JAPAN CREATED KINGDOM HEARTS BECAUSE THEY LOVE DISNEY WHICH CAME FROM AMERICA!


P.S.: And you were apparently LOOKING for weeaboos?


My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
Reply With Quote
(#16 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station
 
Posts: 997
Join Date: Feb 2009
04-05-2010, 02:02 AM

Oh, come on. I've learn useless "dead" languages like Latin and Sanskrit. Yet I don't complain about that.


JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
Reply With Quote
(#17 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi's Avatar
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt
 
Posts: 507
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ポルトガル
04-05-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
Oh, come on. I've learn useless "dead" languages like Latin and Sanskrit. Yet I don't complain about that.
It's still used in satanic rituals.

And they are growing. They are growing.




to the OP:

And you just realized 18 months after?


Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
Reply With Quote
(#18 (permalink))
Old
noodle's Avatar
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo
 
Posts: 1,419
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Paris/London/Algiers
04-05-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
It depends on which lists you read. According to the UN and the Economist, it mostly is a Scandinavian country that tops the list, usually Norway.

Austria and Germany combined have an economy that's 46% bigger than France's, and if you also take Switzerland which is mostly a German speaking country, you get a German speaking economy in Europe that's 60% bigger than France's.

What about the world population has it GROWN at the same time? Of course there will be more French speakers in absolute numbers when the African populations are growing! But when you consider the decline of French as a secondary/third language all over the world, several African countries dropping French from the curriculum, and French only being used in 11% of all EU documents now, as opposed to 40% in the 60s EVEN YOU should get a hang of it.

I didn't even have to look for an excuse. France and French has nothing to offer me.

Sure Arabic is useless for someone living in one of the 22 ARAB countries in the world. And I'm pretty sure Berber is pretty useless for someone coming from Maghreb....
You're still not answering a single question I've asked!

Why Japanse over French for general usefulness?

You said Germany's Economy. Not countries where German is spoken! In which case, it is NOT far bigger than France's! But my point is still the same on that. Big Economy doesn't = better job opportunities!

Dude, French is the second most taught language in the world after English. With regards to your last remark, 1st, I said spoke about Arabic with respect to me. I have no foreseeable future in any Arab country, 2nd I sense a bit of sarcasm, but WOW 22 Arab countries? French is spoken in 33 or 35 countries. French and English are the ONLY two languages spoken on ALL continents, so I don't know where you get your facts from, but French is GROWING and not because of an increase of population in Africa!

Surveys for international jobs showed that 47 required or preferred French, 29 Spanish, 10 Russian and 3 German.

So, like I said, if it's not for you, then just say that. Stop trying to justify to yourself or to us that French is a useless language because 1, you're wrong, and 2, it just makes you look stupid for taking 18 months to realise it!

Last edited by noodle : 04-05-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned
 
Posts: 124
Join Date: Feb 2008
04-05-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
You're still not answering a single question I've asked!

Why Japanse over French for general usefulness?

You said Germany's Economy. Not countries where German is spoken! In which case, it is NOT far bigger than France's! But my point is still the same on that. Big Economy doesn't = better job opportunities!

Dude, French is the second most taught language in the world after English. With regards to your last remark, 1st, I said spoke about Arabic with respect to me. I have no foreseeable future in any Arab country, 2nd I sense a bit of sarcasm, but WOW 22 Arab countries? French is spoken in 33 or 35 countries. French and English are the ONLY two languages spoken on ALL continents, so I don't know where you get your facts from, but French is GROWING and not because of an increase of population in Africa!

Surveys for international jobs showed that 47 required or preferred French, 29 Spanish, 10 Russian and 3 German.

So, like I said, if it's not for you, then just say that. Stop trying to justify to yourself or to us that French is a useless language because 1, you're wrong, and 2, it just makes you look stupid for taking 18 months to realise it!

I've said it a million times already, Japanese is more fun to learn, because it, unlike France, has a distinct culture. Japan can offer me something different from the European lifestyle, France can't. There's no French culture anymore, and it's pretty much useless as a business language.

Arabic is the MAIN language in 22 countries, French is the main language in 3-4 countries AT MOST. Even in the countries where it is an official language, like Switzerland, it's dying. It's not even the main language in Belgium. Its star is falling in Africa, because English is the business language of the world. It's dying in Spain. It's dying in England. Even in the African countries where it's supposedly big, only a minority of the people speak it. In Senegal 15-20% speak French, and that rate is falling.

French is declining as a language. Even the French are worried about the decline. And you'd seen it if you hadn't been such a Harki. here's a few links for you to read:

The Worldwide Decline of French

Speaking of Languages: The Decline of French | The Brussels Journal

The Hindu : Opinion / News Analysis : Another inevitable decline for French language

BBC NEWS | Europe | French unions wage war on words

French decline bad news for Quebec, group says
Reply With Quote
(#20 (permalink))
Old
noodle's Avatar
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo
 
Posts: 1,419
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Paris/London/Algiers
04-05-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
I've said it a million times already, Japanese is more fun to learn, because it, unlike France, has a distinct culture. Japan can offer me something different from the European lifestyle, France can't. There's no French culture anymore, and it's pretty much useless as a business language.

Arabic is the MAIN language in 22 countries, French is the main language in 3-4 countries AT MOST. Even in the countries where it is an official language, like Switzerland, it's dying. It's not even the main language in Belgium. Its star is falling in Africa, because English is the business language of the world. It's dying in Spain. It's dying in England. Even in the African countries where it's supposedly big, only a minority of the people speak it. In Senegal 15-20% speak French, and that rate is falling.

French is declining as a language. Even the French are worried about the decline. And you'd seen it if you hadn't been such a Harki. here's a few links for you to read:

The Worldwide Decline of French

Speaking of Languages: The Decline of French | The Brussels Journal

The Hindu : Opinion / News Analysis : Another inevitable decline for French language

BBC NEWS | Europe | French unions wage war on words

French decline bad news for Quebec, group says
Ok, first of all, calling me a Harki is EXTREMELY offensive, so fuck you! My grandad died in the war and if you had a clue, the Algerian war of independense is still very fresh for many of us!

Seconldly, you haven't said a million times that Japanese is more fun etc!

Thirdly, I said FOR ME, Arabic is not a language I need! So, I don't care if it's spoken in 80 countries, if it's not a main language in a country I wish to settle down in, I don't need it!

Finally, have you read any of those articles? Most of them outline the decline of French compared to English... Here's a wake up call! Practically ALL languages are declining in demand compared to English! It's the WORLD language now! So, even your precious German and Japanese is declining compared to English!

Last edited by noodle : 04-05-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Copyright 2003-2006 Virtual Japan.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6