JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned

American TV-show producers should look to Japan - 04-13-2010, 07:19 PM

What annoys me about American TV shows is that they have to last forever (or until they get canceled). Often a really good America TV show starts of well, and turns to shit in the later seasons.

Why can't they decide on a certain number of episodes for each show, like they do with the evening dramas in Japan? That way we'd get rid off half-assed attempts at new twists and turns just to drag the show on for a couple more seasons.

Last edited by Sitron : 04-13-2010 at 07:23 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
04-13-2010, 08:07 PM

For money. And I'm sure that every country, even Japan, have some half-assed shows that just run for money.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

04-13-2010, 09:09 PM

Also culture is different. When will people like you understand and accept this. Move to Japan if you idolize it's TV so much . . .

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned

04-13-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
Also culture is different. When will people like you understand and accept this. Move to Japan if you idolize it's TV so much . . .
It has nothing to do with culture asshole, and I don't need to move to Japan just because I actually think they're doing something right about their tv shows.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-13-2010, 09:35 PM

Do not insult each other or this thread will be closed or worse.

I understand what Sitron is saying, and I think we are starting to move in that direction. Lost producers announced it's completion years before it was over. We are seeing mini-series like Band of Brothers and The Pacific which are about as long as a Japanese drama (10 to 15 episodes).
(#6 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

04-13-2010, 11:25 PM

I don't think it is the length of the series that makes them drag on, but rather the fact that they are often kept in the dark about how many seasons or episodes they will get. They may start production with 10 episodes and the network will tell them half way through that they want 7 more, so the producers end up scrambling to add filler. I also prefer the method of just having a set number of episodes, even if the show gains or loses ratings.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-13-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
What annoys me about American TV shows is that they have to last forever (or until they get canceled). Often a really good America TV show starts of well, and turns to shit in the later seasons.

Why can't they decide on a certain number of episodes for each show, like they do with the evening dramas in Japan? That way we'd get rid off half-assed attempts at new twists and turns just to drag the show on for a couple more seasons.
Actually American Dramas such as 24, Prison Break, as well as LOST and others are quite popular in Japan. Many are rent-able in video rental shops or when they are old enough got to Cable/Broadcast Satellite. I have Japanese friends begging me for copies of 24 even if they aren't subbed.

Korean and Chinese Dramas are doing quite well and can last for HUNDREDS of episodes. I had to stop for health reasons.

Short and concise American dramas to exist as well but I get your point.

Also to the point when someone is so into a drama, sometimes they really don't want to know when it ends. Why stop with a good thing?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-13-2010, 11:42 PM

I think it is a combination of two factors - the amount of money it takes to produce a new show in the US, and being sure to get that money back.

Japanese programs tend not to cost all that much to produce. Actors don`t really get paid all that much (Not even any more than a regular job for all but the most very famous). The production costs for set and effects are generally low as the settings tend to be fairly "normal", and not require CG or much travel. Because of the low cost of producing a new drama, instead of making one longer it is not all that much more expensive to make one after another.

When it comes to US programming, they aim high and spend a huge amount on production. Sets are often distant and exotic places, or they make it seem like they are by using a lot of complex effects. The pay for an actor on an average tv show is usually 10 times what it is in Japan. A LOT of money goes into making a new show, so there is a lot of risk when it comes to getting this money back. If a show flops, that is a LOT lost. So when a successful show comes along, instead of cutting it off in it`s prime (of money making) by setting the number of episodes ahead of time and upsetting all those shareholders who put out the money to start the show in the first place... They stretch it out to get as much out of it as possible.

It seems that with the US, when there is a successful formula, they stretch it out as long as they can. With Japan when there is a successful formula they remember it and recycle it in a different show later.
It`s all about how much it costs to start something new and how much of a return that will give.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

04-14-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
It has nothing to do with culture asshole, and I don't need to move to Japan just because I actually think they're doing something right about their tv shows.
-Sigh- Culture in a sense of how things are done around there. I usually think of culture as a little broader than most. So that makes me an a-hole? Whatever.

Some countries can't do what others can for various reasons. You never know, Americans might want to do some of the things the Japanese do, but things out of prducer control prevent them to.

EDIT: Also, How is Japan's different approach to entertainment any more correct than others?

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-15-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I think it is a combination of two factors - the amount of money it takes to produce a new show in the US, and being sure to get that money back.
I agree with your POV on this. It's all about making money. That's why perfectly good shows can be gutted or yanked off the air if the money they take to produce doesn't turn a profit.

In 2006 Keifer Sutherland was earning $23 million for his role on 24 and for the last three seasons (6-8) he was paid $40 million. What I've read about the cast of Lost's earnings is unclear but cast members were said to be earning $20,000 - $40,000 per episode as of 2007, with a purported increase in pay of up to $80,000 per ep. A network has to make sure the show is going to be big enough, popular enough and long lasting enough to make that paying their salary worth while.

The tv show Carnivale started off with a complete story set to take place for six seasons and despite critical praise, great writing and a great cast it was canceled after the second season so they tried to cram a lot into season two and it was a complete mess. So having a completed story script is no guarantee for success.

To the OP, which shows specifically are you referring to? No viewer has the same opinion of a shows length and how good it's ending is. YMMV. I know quite a few people that hated the ending of Battlestar Gallactica yet I was perfectly content with it. We'll see if I feel the same way about Lost.