JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

04-16-2010, 10:37 AM

Cars statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

This is of course very old (1999), but I guess it gives a rough idea! I wonder if there is more recent similar data.

The latest data I saw for America, was an average 2.8xx cars per household! So, I guess it confirms half of Nyronins post. I can't remember seeing any data for Japan.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
allhailhata (Offline)
JF Regular

04-16-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
I can't remember seeing any data for Japan.
overall prefectural and national date (March 2008 )
Nunber of cars per 100 households

national average 1.095 per household
lowest Tokyo  0.510 per household
highest Fukui  1.751 per household
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Helgen (Offline)
New to JF

04-16-2010, 01:25 PM

Anime seems to scrable many peoples perception of Japan, hence me not watching it. But cars are very important if you don't live in the city side. Usually, the city sides are the business areas, such as how Manhattan is not the best place to park or drive to since there is a lot of busses and trains and not much parking spaces, same applies in Japan. Only, I think it is more usual to have a car in Japan than in the USA simply because everything is very scattered in Japan. Everybody thinks at first it is like a giant metropolis, it is... Only in just that one specific place like Osaka, or Tokyo city, but that's about it. Other cities are very smaller, nothing like New York size. Some places have NO trains, just busses, and they take forever to come because not many people may use the path you need to get to to go to your home if you live in the outskirts.

My blog about living in Japan, photography of random stuff in it and all types of other shit.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Neffiline (Offline)
JF Regular

04-16-2010, 02:14 PM

When I visited Japan, there were cars every where all the time.

The issue is the space itself, depending where you live. In Tokyo, before you buy a car, you have to go to the police station and bring proof that you have SPACE (like parking) for a car. If you don't have the paper from the police, you can't buy a car. I thought that was quite interesting.

(#15 (permalink))
Old
Helgen (Offline)
New to JF

04-16-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neffiline View Post

The issue is the space itself, depending where you live. In Tokyo, before you buy a car, you have to go to the police station and bring proof that you have SPACE (like parking) for a car. If you don't have the paper from the police, you can't buy a car. I thought that was quite interesting.
Damn, I am glad I don't live in Tokyo. But I do know parking in Tokyo is ridiculous lol.

My blog about living in Japan, photography of random stuff in it and all types of other shit.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Neffiline (Offline)
JF Regular

04-16-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgen View Post
Damn, I am glad I don't live in Tokyo. But I do know parking in Tokyo is ridiculous lol.
Yes, indeed. Lol I had a hard time figuring out where all the cars I saw in the streets were coming from, and where they lived and parked. But personally in a city like Tokyo, I wouldn't even bother getting a driver's licence, their metro system is amazing!

(#17 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-16-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neffiline View Post

Actually, you have to do this everywhere in Japan. It`s part of the normal paperwork for owning a car. Nothing to do with Tokyo.
You need to demonstrate that you have a space in which to park the car and that you have permission to park it there.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Neffiline (Offline)
JF Regular

04-16-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Actually, you have to do this everywhere in Japan. It`s part of the normal paperwork for owning a car. Nothing to do with Tokyo.
You need to demonstrate that you have a space in which to park the car and that you have permission to park it there.
Oooh! I see! Thanks for the correction~

The tour guide that told us all this only mentioned Tokyo, so I figured it was only in the city what with some 12 million people living there... Lol

(#19 (permalink))
Old
Helgen (Offline)
New to JF

04-16-2010, 04:43 PM

Forgot to mention getting a license is about $2,000-$3,000. My wife drives me, I have no shame, because we're probably going to move around between Japan and USA a lot anyway. We want to save all the money we can... Or I heard there's a way I could get a license back home in New York, then get an international drivers license, but I am not too sure about it. I do know how to drive though, but I am not about to break any laws here.

(#20 (permalink))
Old
Neffiline (Offline)
JF Regular

04-16-2010, 05:05 PM

One of my japanese friends here has one from Japan, she's been travelling around the world, she was in Australia and USA, now she's in Canada, working with a Visa. She has a car from work and drives around the city a lot. When I asked her she told me she has an international driver's lisence.

And if I remember correctly, here in Canada it's CAA (car/rental/insurance company) from whom you can request an international driver's lisence.

Only issue is Japan and Canada don't drive on the same side of the street, I didn't drive while visiting Tokyo, but I was really confused the first day out and about.