JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Cars in Japan: Does Anime Have The Right Idea? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/31546-cars-japan-does-anime-have-right-idea.html)

manganimefan227 04-16-2010 12:40 AM

Cars in Japan: Does Anime Have The Right Idea?

How common is it to have cars in Japan? Is it like a limo in America oe is it common?

Slight side note: I've seen how trains are in Tokyo, man, must suck being so cramped in there . . .XD

MMM 04-16-2010 12:44 AM

Cars are very common in Japan. Why would you think otherwise. Urban dwellers oftentimes can live without a car and simply use public transportation, but once one starts a family it gets harder to live without one.

Are people still associating a couple train lines in Tokyo during rush hour with the entire Japanese train system.

Oftentimes it looks just like this.

jrisjerry 04-16-2010 02:13 AM

Car is a essencial tool for most Japan family. It is useful travel tool to take people to work, go to school or other ourside entertainment.

allhailhata 04-16-2010 02:56 AM

The horizontal axis   GDP per capita
The vertical  axis    Number of cars per 1,000 population
日本  Japan
ドイツ Germany
米国  USA

JayT 04-16-2010 03:03 AM

Trains in Tokyo are fine. People are almost always very quiet and they are respectful of your space, despite what they say on television. I've never had any bad experiences.

Sangetsu 04-16-2010 03:04 AM

It depends on where you live. My house is in the countryside, and there is not much in the way of train or bus transportation, so owning a car is a necessity. My GF lives in Metro Tokyo, within walking distance of 2 train stations and 1 subway station, not to mention the bus stop in front of her building where buses stop every 5 minutes. Obviously, she doesn't really need a car.

RickOShay 04-16-2010 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allhailhata (Post 808623)

The horizontal axis   GDP per capita
The vertical  axis    Number of cars per 1,000 population
日本  Japan
ドイツ Germany
米国  USA

I would like to add though that America's infrastructure and size kind of forces people to own cars, since the wealth in America is very unevenly distributed. Not to mention in Japan, (from what I see) the vast majority of cars are relatively new, whereas in America you will see tons of old beat up POS cars all over the place.

jurianbai 04-16-2010 08:29 AM

I always want to ask this. Is this for real??

YouTube - Japan MRT vs Singapore MRT

Nyororin 04-16-2010 08:40 AM

In my view, Japan is a one car per family society. The US a one car per person society. This is a generalization, of course, but it seems to fit quite well.

The costs of owning a car (taxes, parking, gasoline) in Japan outweigh it`s value for an individual in most cases. This is particularly true in the inner city, where the costs can outweigh it`s usefulness even if it IS a family.

I live right on the outskirts of a huge city. In our building there is only one family out of around 40 who own 2 cars. And at the same time I think there are maybe two families who don`t own a car at all. People who use cars for their job use a company vehicle, not their own. Even out in the deep countryside - where it`s an hour walk to a bus stop for a bus that comes every 4 hours... You still only see around 1.5 cars per family. Every other family seems to have 2 cars, but nothing more than that unless you own a company and have another for work.

Back when I lived in the US, everyone in the house of legal driving age who had a license had their own car. It was the same for pretty much everyone around. 4 cars in the driveway and maybe more in the garage seemed a pretty normal sight.

Tsuwabuki 04-16-2010 10:24 AM

I have a car. A little Mitsubishi Minica.