JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
chubbyhubby (Offline)
New to JF

Sidewalk Markers??? - 04-20-2010, 03:32 PM

Greetings All, my wife and I returned from our first Japanese trip and I have a nagging question. Everywhere we went, I noticed small metallic markers embedded in the sidewalks, and at other random locations. I assume they are to denote locations like property lines, etc. But I also saw a lot of them in seemingly random or inconsequential areas. Any ideas what these are for? Thanks, CH
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-20-2010, 10:23 PM

I would probably guess a form of 'cats eyes'? Like a reflective surface to help road users see the boundaries of the road at night? I'm not too certain either, but from what you've described I'd guess at that. . .
(#3 (permalink))
Old
chubbyhubby (Offline)
New to JF

04-21-2010, 01:00 AM

Actually, these were non-reflective and made of either brass or stainless steel. Size-wise, they were only 1" or less in diameter and looked as if they were held in the ground with just a stud in the center. Some were round, and some were hexagonal, but all were either flush with the ground or only stuck up around 1/4". We also saw many of them in very nondescript areas, in various locations around temple walkways where there is nothing to mark out. Very puzzling to me...
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kunitokotachi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-21-2010, 01:36 AM

You should post a pic.

宣告されてから弁論しても手遅れである。
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-21-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbyhubby View Post
Actually, these were non-reflective and made of either brass or stainless steel. Size-wise, they were only 1" or less in diameter and looked as if they were held in the ground with just a stud in the center. Some were round, and some were hexagonal, but all were either flush with the ground or only stuck up around 1/4". We also saw many of them in very nondescript areas, in various locations around temple walkways where there is nothing to mark out. Very puzzling to me...
Without a picture, there are a couple of possibilities.

Depending on area, some are to mark the underground lines of water and gas pipes. By linking them you can easily find the path of the pipes. These are usually painted though, and embedded with a screw in the middle.

The more likely option from your description, however, are survey markers. Here is a good example. They vary quite a bit though, and can be in all different shapes. In the city they are usually long metal rods with a rounded tip and an indentation on the top to mark the center (it can look like a stud). They`re used as permanent markers for surveying the land, as boundaries and landmarks can change over time.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
chubbyhubby (Offline)
New to JF

04-21-2010, 02:45 AM

I kind of thought they were some sort of survey markers. But when I also saw them in very random locations on temple grounds, that made me wonder what else they were for. Underground utility markers make sense. Thank you.