LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-22-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Exactly. Unlike my small little dispatch "company" (really just one guy who negotiates with the BOE). We've all been here between two and five years, with no plans to leave, and with good teaching evaluations, and some of us had previous teaching experience.

It does matter who you hire. Gee, I wonder why.
Are you aware that under Japanese law you are only supposed to be contracted via your dispatch agency for only one year? And that after that one year your BOE is supposed to hire you and pay you directly? All ALTs who work for the same dispatch company for over a year are being screwed. Your dispatch "agency" is taking about 1/3 of your money, and probably kicking back a little bit to the members of the BOE. Your annual contacts are worded in a way to them appear legal, but in substance, they are not.

This is ALT dispatch agency teacher-scamming scheme is another matter which is going to have to be resolved in the future.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
jrisjerry (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to jrisjerry Send a message via Skype™ to jrisjerry
04-22-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Not going bankrupt, but the number of students has dropped and schools are closing. They are also realizing after so many years that just having college degree does not a teacher make.

Is there any problems on their teaching ways or the school rules, why the students reducing all the time?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-22-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Are you aware that under Japanese law you are only supposed to be contracted via your dispatch agency for only one year? And that after that one year your BOE is supposed to hire you and pay you directly? All ALTs who work for the same dispatch company for over a year are being screwed. Your dispatch "agency" is taking about 1/3 of your money, and probably kicking back a little bit to the members of the BOE. Your annual contacts are worded in a way to them appear legal, but in substance, they are not.

This is ALT dispatch agency teacher-scamming scheme is another matter which is going to have to be resolved in the future.
I know all about inaku. I've investigated rocking the boat, I am a member of a union, and have discussed a plan of action quite thoroughly with the union and my coworkers. I am aware of the legalities, my rights, and what the BOE should be doing.

I make more than some of the JTEs. At the moment, given my good relationship with the BOE and the person through which the inaku is set up, and given the facts that my Japanese is still not where I want it to be to change over to a Japanese teaching license, and am quite comfortable financially... There just isn't a reason yet for me to lead the charge.

Trust me, I am quite informed as to the dubious system in place. Due to the tiny size of the company, I am not inclined to consider it a problem personally yet. If I stay in Japan much long, and I intend to, I will expect direct hire.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#14 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-22-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Unfortunately, a few months ago the company which owns the Geos schools in Australia went bankrupt. Even though the company running the schools was an Australian entity, the bankruptcy damaged Geos' credit, making financing their operations through the year impossible.
So this just another event that stems from the bad global economy.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

04-23-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzone View Post
So this just another event that stems from the bad global economy.
Exactly. Countless businesses across Japan have closed down over the last 2 years, and many others have been downsized. Many factories have reduced their work weeks to 4 days, while salarymen at other companies have had their pay cut.

On the bright side, Japanese exports are up for the 4th straight month, but it'll take at least another year before the dust settles here and companies begin hiring/expanding again.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
jbradfor (Offline)
JF Regular

04-23-2010, 02:50 AM

Interestingly enough, many well-known English language schools in China are also closing: Problems at Kaien language school
(#17 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
04-27-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Not going bankrupt, but the number of students has dropped and schools are closing. They are also realizing after so many years that just having college degree does not a teacher make.
It does seem the system is being cleaned out; maybe for the better, maybe not.

A few weeks ago I sat through a recruiting presentation by one of the major companies still sending ESL teachers to the Pacific Rim from the U.S. since I am considering amping up my teaching cert. to do some ESL teaching in the U.S.

To say that I was stunned by the poor quality of presentation skills of one of their "exemplary .... experienced" teachers, is an understatement. If this was an example of who is teaching for them I would be embarrased to be associated with company. Had this person been one of my Speech 101 (Basic Public Speaking) students, they would be struggling for a passing grade.

I hate for economic to be the cause of restructuring an industry such as this, but when nothing else seems to be addressing the problems sufficiently this is frequently the result.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-28-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly320 View Post
Usually when companies go bankrupt, many people appear on the scene and say “that’s no surprise”.

Someone always knows that the deal is going down badly.
Actually it was obvious from about the middle of last year that Geos didn't have long to go- all the symptoms were there, and if you look at other Japan/ESL related sites you'll find that lots of people predicted it. Anybody who was surprised must have had their head in the sand for a long time.

I think people blaming the teaching quality for the collapse have it wrong though- just like Nova, it was largely poor management and a very flawed business model exacerbated by the economic downturn that caused Geos to go down, not the skills (or lack thereof) of the teachers. Just like with Nova though, you can be sure that the management will try to put as much of the blame for the failure as they possibly can with the teachers.