04-22-2010, 05:18 AM

We usually change shoes indoor but not off shoes
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Hotch (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Hotch Send a message via Skype™ to Hotch
04-22-2010, 05:41 AM

It is a good habit I think, at least the floor will be kept clean. But in China, especailly in country side, people all in shoes indoor. Some people live in cities, change their shoes when they indoor.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
hadron (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to hadron
04-22-2010, 06:21 AM

here you usually put off shoes in the first room after you have entered the house or flat, this is the room dedicated to this purpose, and therefore it is called "antechamber" or "entrance hall". it is usually equipped with shoe case where you will put your shoes, and there are also hangers for your coat and other stuff good for preparation to leave the house, like large mirror to see how you look . the host might offer you wear the inside shoes (cannot find right translation in dictionary) if he got a spare, simple shoes used only at home so your feet don't get cold

main reason why you don't leave your shoes in front of doors is because you may not find them there once you finish your visit

there are some homes where they don't require your shoes off at all.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Blitzwing85 (Offline)
マーク - 戦士

04-22-2010, 08:45 AM

I've always thought it was more talked about in Japan because they do it for more cultural or traditional reasons? Rather than simply not wanting to dirty the floor. Maybe i'm wrong but that was what i thought.

Where as in many other countries it's still done, but mostly just so you don't feel like you're being igorant to others.

End of the day the world is a filthy place, and i wouldn't want someone walking around on my expensive carpet with dirty shows on!!!
I have a hallway as others have mentioned with a coat hanger and shoe rack and matress...plus wooden flooring for easy cleaning.
I expect guests to remove shoes here as i would in their house.

But certainly shoes are always left on anywhere else. Except obvious hygeine contious places such as swimming baths etc.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
wolfrainvn (Offline)
Baka baka

Send a message via MSN to wolfrainvn Send a message via Yahoo to wolfrainvn
04-22-2010, 03:38 PM

From my perspective of an asian, i think i know it is why such an important issue. I think i it meant more than just to not dirty the floor, it meant the respect of the visitor for the house and the house's owner.

This is a personal experience, when i was i kid i remmerber my parents always tell me to take off my shoes when entering somebody house. This one time i was visiting my friend house who is also asian, i forgot to take off my shoes and he scolded at me " Oi man, take off your shoes, gee asian no respect!!!" It's funny how he said it, that 's why i still remembered it.

So yeah, i think respect and customary are the most approriate explanation why Japanese making such as fuss about it. LOL.... i know this cause i know how asian feel about respect and disrepect.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

FOR THOSE WHO BELEIVE THAT HEAVEN REALLY EXIST, THERE IS A WAY TO HEAVEN

My JF Family
Brother of ToKyObOxRoBoT, Nightmare
Cousin of Jo_Kittie
Great Grand Father of lollijenn
Uncle of Hentaro
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

04-22-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfrainvn View Post
From my perspective of an asian, i think i know it is why such an important issue. I think i it meant more than just to not dirty the floor, it meant the respect of the visitor for the house and the house's owner.

This is a personal experience, when i was i kid i remmerber my parents always tell me to take off my shoes when entering somebody house. This one time i was visiting my friend house who is also asian, i forgot to take off my shoes and he scolded at me " Oi man, take off your shoes, gee asian no respect!!!" It's funny how he said it, that 's why i still remembered it.

So yeah, i think respect and customary are the most approriate explanation why Japanese making such as fuss about it. LOL.... i know this cause i know how asian feel about respect and disrepect.
Yes. As a kid being brought up in a prodominantly Asian household, I developed strict manners. When I was offered something, I usually wouldn't accept it unless it was an obligation; I had to always honor the elders, even if they were mad at me (or vice versa); I always spoke formally to strangers or seniors, unless idicated not to: Those sort of things. They sound more harsh than they really are. I think all cultures have variants of these basic principles, and some form of appreciation thereof; not just Asians.

I was in Australia and Hawaii back then.
It's funny, when I came to live in mainland U.S, all the adults were amazed by how polite I was. I never really got it, at the time. I even got teased at school for my formal langauge -- not to mention my Aussie accent.

Last edited by Jaydelart : 04-22-2010 at 08:00 PM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

04-23-2010, 03:55 AM

I take my shoes off when I go into other people's homes and my own of course. It is more personal I believe and the obvious benefit of not getting the carpets dirty.

As a side note wearing no shoes is much more comfortable anyway.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
wolfrainvn (Offline)
Baka baka

Send a message via MSN to wolfrainvn Send a message via Yahoo to wolfrainvn
04-23-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
Yes. As a kid being brought up in a prodominantly Asian household, I developed strict manners. When I was offered something, I usually wouldn't accept it unless it was an obligation; I had to always honor the elders, even if they were mad at me (or vice versa); I always spoke formally to strangers or seniors, unless idicated not to: Those sort of things. They sound more harsh than they really are. I think all cultures have variants of these basic principles, and some form of appreciation thereof; not just Asians.

I was in Australia and Hawaii back then.
It's funny, when I came to live in mainland U.S, all the adults were amazed by how polite I was. I never really got it, at the time. I even got teased at school for my formal langauge -- not to mention my Aussie accent.
You lived in Australia, which state, i now live in South Australia, i migrated to Australia about 6 years ago. And Yes, aussie do have funny accent, i think it's the best english accent cause it is more laidback and relax.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

FOR THOSE WHO BELEIVE THAT HEAVEN REALLY EXIST, THERE IS A WAY TO HEAVEN

My JF Family
Brother of ToKyObOxRoBoT, Nightmare
Cousin of Jo_Kittie
Great Grand Father of lollijenn
Uncle of Hentaro
(#19 (permalink))
Old
JojoBizarre (Offline)
JF Regular

04-23-2010, 01:40 PM

Same here, I always take my shoes off, except at a friends house, he doesn't want us to take our show off, maybe it's because he is in the process of renovating his house!!!

Blame the others!
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

04-23-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfrainvn View Post
 So yeah, i think respect and customary are the most approriate explanation why Japanese making such as fuss about it.   
When did we ever make such a fuss about it? It's all too natural to us that we don't even discuss it.