JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nachtschatten (Offline)
New to JF

Literature - 03-19-2007, 11:17 AM

greetings,

I haven't found any topic on literature, so I would like to start one.
Who's your favourite author? Have you read books that you want to recommend or are you searching for something?

I read a lot of german novels, but thats not really of use here. I especially like Paul Auster as an american author. Or H. P. Lovecraft, who wrote horror stories and was a genius in creating a tense atmosphere, but at the same in drawing beautiful pictures.
An one author, who really fascinates me, is Haruki Murakami. Does anyone know other authors, who let reality and dream melt together and put so great emphasis on feelings and relationships like him?
I would also like to read more novels with a japanese background, maybe even some that take place in history.

Feel free to talk about it and have a nice day.

Unhappy is he to whom the memories of childhood bring only fear and sadness. Wretched is he who looks back upon lone hours in vast and dismal chambers with brown hangings and maddening rows of antique books, or upon awed watches in twilight groves of grotesque, gigantic, and vine-encumbered trees that silently wave twisted branches far aloft. Such a lot the gods gave to me - to me, the dazed, the disappointed, the barren, the broken.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
bossa (Offline)
New to JF

03-19-2007, 02:08 PM

"Lizard" written by Banana Yoshimoto
Banana Yoshimoto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(#3 (permalink))
Old
WarumonoKyo (Offline)
JF Regular

03-19-2007, 02:10 PM

My favorite author is Stephen King
:]
Hes my hero. I love his work.
Im currently reading The Tommyknockers
its quite confusing and boring...

but im only half way through it. its so long oO

But i really really love Pet Cemetary

OH and Edgar Allen Poe is like DA BOMB XD
The Tell Tale heart is just so fucking amazing.

Worthless people live only to eat and drink; people of worth eat and drink only to live.

-Socrates
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GreenEyes (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to GreenEyes
03-19-2007, 02:32 PM

Haruki Murakami is my favourite author
(#5 (permalink))
Old
InsaneDoll (Offline)
trve metal pygmy

03-19-2007, 03:51 PM

I couldn`t get into Haruki Murakami ..but I`m going to give him another chance ..maybe I didn`t read the right stuff.. I like Ryu Murakami (no, they`re not related), Kobo Abe, Agneta Plejiel, Patrick Suskind, Amelie Nothomb, Mircea Cărtărescu, Mario Vargas Llosa, Peter Beagle, F. M. Dostoievski, Stephen King, Pascal Bruckner, John Kennedy Toole, Oscar Wilde, Frank Herbert, Gabriel Garcia Marquez and many more.

I recommend reading:
"Lord Nevermore" by Agneta Plejiel
"The perfume" by Patrick Suskind
"A fine and lovely place" by Peter Beagle
"Crime and punishment" by Dostoievski
"In za miso soup" by Ryu Murakami
"Shining" by Stephen King
"Tanin no kao" by Kobo Abe
"Suna no onna" by Kobo Abe
"Moyetsukita Chizu" by Kobo Abe
"La ciudad y los perros" by Mario Varga Llosa
"Vivir para contarla" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
"Les vouleurs de beaute"
"The portrait of Dorian Grey" by Oscar Wilde
"Dune" by Frank Herbert
"The neon bible" by John Kennedy Toole
and all of Amelie Nothomb`s work
"El tunel" by Ernesto Sabato (I forgot to mention)

"I tell you what's really ridiculous - going into a bookstore and there's all these books about yourself. In a way, it feels like you're already dead."
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nachtschatten (Offline)
New to JF

03-19-2007, 04:06 PM

Suskind's "The perfume" has been translated into English. A friend told me about it some years ago, I bought and was sooo overwhelmed by the story.
I read a lot of books that are just good and often I read them just one time, but this one and Paul Auster's "Moon Palace" are for me works of a genius, simply because they got me for the rest of my life.

Unhappy is he to whom the memories of childhood bring only fear and sadness. Wretched is he who looks back upon lone hours in vast and dismal chambers with brown hangings and maddening rows of antique books, or upon awed watches in twilight groves of grotesque, gigantic, and vine-encumbered trees that silently wave twisted branches far aloft. Such a lot the gods gave to me - to me, the dazed, the disappointed, the barren, the broken.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
InsaneDoll (Offline)
trve metal pygmy

03-19-2007, 04:11 PM

I read "The perfume" every year ..I just can`t get enough of it ..I was listening to "Herr spiegelmann" by Moonspell and read the lyrics ..and they quoted Suskind so I got really interested.

It seems that I can`t get into romanian writers .. They must be the most boring ones I`ve ever read. Except for Cărtărescu.

"I tell you what's really ridiculous - going into a bookstore and there's all these books about yourself. In a way, it feels like you're already dead."