JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
rhapthorne (Offline)
New to JF

Academic questionnaire about vulgarisms of different languages - 04-25-2010, 09:21 AM

Hi everyone,
I am new here, so let me say 'hi' and introduce myself a bit: my name is Dominik and I am currently writing MA paper on the cross-cultural (and also cross-linguistic) aspects of swearing. The main aim of the study is to investigate how different nations, cultures and languages use the indecent words, what is the attitude towards swearing in different societies and, most importantly, what are the tabooed areas in different parts of the world. Therefore, I decided to introduce my questionnaire here as the forums are visited by not only by speakers of different languages, but also by Japanese, who are of particular interest in my course of study due to their completely different attitude towards swearing, which it would be a very interesting phenomenon to academic investigation. Also, as soon as I get a sufficient number of responses I will post the results here to share the data with the forum readers. If you have any questions concerning the survey or the theory of vulgarisms in general - feel free to post it here, I've been studying this matter for several months so I think that I'll be able to provide answers and dissipate your doubts.

Here is the link:
http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-su...IDKGG_be87c18e

Thanks,
rhapthorne
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-25-2010, 02:16 PM

Hi. Just thought I'd wish you luck with your project. I clicked onto your survey, and thought I'd point out a flaw with the ages. You have for example '15-20' and '20-25', so anyone who is 20 could click either option, in which case you won't be getting accurate results as people of that age can go for either option. I'd suggest being more precise, such as '15-20', '21-25' etc.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

04-25-2010, 02:22 PM

Spam is a four letter word that can be used as a vulgarism as well.

Example sentence: "This thread is spam."

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jrisjerry (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to jrisjerry Send a message via Skype™ to jrisjerry
04-26-2010, 07:11 AM

I have clicked the page, it is intereting. But I have no interest to join in this course.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
04-27-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Spam is a four letter word that can be used as a vulgarism as well.

Example sentence: "This thread is spam."
So is "Koir".

Rhapthorne,
While the survey seems pretty limited I suppose the research is going much farther for the thesis. Its certainly an interesting aspect of etymology, and one a couple of good books have been written about. It was an entertaining diversion when I was an undergrad.

Good luck with the work.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.