JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Technological breakthrough of Japan : LCD television (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/31693-technological-breakthrough-japan-lcd-television.html)

termogard 04-26-2010 12:35 PM

Technological breakthrough of Japan : LCD television

quote :

Liquid-crystal display televisions (LCD TV) are television sets that use LCD technology to produce images. LCD televisions are thinner and lighter than CRTs of similar display size, and are available in much larger sizes as well. This combination of features made LCDs more practical than CRTs for many roles, and as manufacturing costs fell,their eventual dominance of the television market was all but guaranteed.

In 2007, LCD televisions surpassed sales of CRT-based televisions worldwide for the first time, and its sales figures relative to other technologies is accelerating.

In 1988, SHARP Corporation introduced the first commercial LCD television, a 14" model.

Wiki

Nowadays, one could see LCD displays even in a cockpit of a combat fighter interceptor.......

seiki 04-26-2010 02:12 PM

Cool! I do not know where this thread will go but oh well.
I bought a lcd led tv in august and I love it any seat is a good seat with no glare or darkening of hte screen.

clintjm 05-19-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by termogard (Post 809858)
quote :

Liquid-crystal display televisions (LCD TV) are television sets that use LCD technology to produce images. LCD televisions are thinner and lighter than CRTs of similar display size, and are available in much larger sizes as well. This combination of features made LCDs more practical than CRTs for many roles, and as manufacturing costs fell,their eventual dominance of the television market was all but guaranteed.

In 2007, LCD televisions surpassed sales of CRT-based televisions worldwide for the first time, and its sales figures relative to other technologies is accelerating.

In 1988, SHARP Corporation introduced the first commercial LCD television, a 14" model.

Wiki

Nowadays, one could see LCD displays even in a cockpit of a combat fighter interceptor.......

It is unfortunate. The quality of a properly adjusted CRT is hard to compare to the average LCD. (Not to mention the input lag of LCDs). Big screen LCDs are just too expensive and fragile right now. Can't beat the space savings of the LCD.

Color purity can't be beat on CRTs.

ponkikki 05-19-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clintjm (Post 812659)
It is unfortunate. The quality of a properly adjusted CRT is hard to compare to the average LCD. (Not to mention the input lag of LCDs). Big screen LCDs are just too expensive and fragile right now. Can't beat the space savings of the LCD.

Color purity can't be beat on CRTs.

I entirely agree.

JayT 05-19-2010 07:57 PM

Uhh, last time I checked it was 2010 and there is no hype about LCD screens anymore. It's all about OLED now days. You came a little bit late...

seiki 05-19-2010 09:14 PM

That is exactly what I was thinking JayT. I can not tell if it was a failed attempt of trolling/spam.

clintjm 05-19-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayT (Post 812688)
Uhh, last time I checked it was 2010 and there is no hype about LCD screens anymore. It's all about OLED now days. You came a little bit late...

Last time I checked my LCD was in the trash because they are so fragile and can't do higher computer resolutions. Maybe when the price comes down on LED displays and they have proven to not be too fragile they do seem the way to go. For computers, a proper CRT is the way to go if you have a desk strong enough to hold.

If you have the cash to dedicate to LED, it seems the way to go as far as overcoming the limitations of LCD and the bulk size of CRT. I don't know how LED computer displays handle pixel dithering and lower resolutions; hopefully better than LCD.

How does your LED display work for you?

JayT 05-19-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clintjm (Post 812699)
Last time I checked my LCD was in the trash because they are so fragile and can't do higher computer resolutions. Maybe when the price comes down on LED displays and they have proven to not be too fragile they do seem the way to go. For computers, a proper CRT is the way to go if you have a desk strong enough to hold.

If you have the cash to dedicate to LED, it seems the way to go as far as overcoming the limitations of LCD and the bulk size of CRT. I don't know how LED computer displays handle pixel dithering and lower resolutions; hopefully better than LCD.

How does your LED display work for you?

Oh I do not have a LED Television, I was just stating that talking about a 'technological breakthrough' that's years old is somewhat out of place. Especially considering on how many breakthroughs are being made in different fields of science and technology these days.

I personally never watch television or do anything that requires one, it seems like laptops have taken over for me.

spicytuna 05-19-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayT (Post 812688)

Don't burst his bubble. He's probably working on his next announcement. An upcoming product from Apple that resembles a tablet.

JayT 05-19-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spicytuna (Post 812704)
Don't burst his bubble. He's probably working on his next announcement. An upcoming product from Apple that resembles a tablet.

You're insane, there couldn't possibly be such a thing :rolleyes: