JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

New Law in the U.S. State: Arizona - 04-27-2010, 05:44 PM

Arizona has passed a law allowing police to ask for country legalization I.D. when stopped by authorities. Arizona has passed this controversial law because conditions have continued to worsen there and because the federal government has failed in their duty to secure the borders.

FOXNews.com - Arizona immigration conflict heats up

I applaud the Governor's efforts to uphold U.S.C. Sec. 1325.

"8 USC Sec. 1325

(a) Improper time or place; avoidance of examination or inspection; misrepresentation and concealment of facts

Any alien who (1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers, or (2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers, or (3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both."

Some groups are making this out to be racial. The president calls this "misguided".

How is this new Arizona law any different than U.K., Canada, Japan, Korea law on the subject?

What are your thoughts?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

04-27-2010, 05:50 PM

Quite a subjective law, and I find it self-defeating to put into prison for months to a year any person from a different country trying to enter the U.S. illegally.

Essentially: "Trying to enter illegally. Ha, we'll show you! Go to our jail for six months and don't have to worry about food, shelter, or clothing. That'll learn ya!"

Also, I had heard protestors against this law will show up at a Cubs/Diamondbacks baseball game today (or whenever the next game is). Should make for easy Nielsen points for the newscasts...

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#3 (permalink))
Old
peterv20 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-27-2010, 05:51 PM

it's fine,just don't break the law and you might be alright.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

04-27-2010, 06:09 PM

I don't carry around papers proving I'm an American, so I wont be entering new police-state Arizona any time soon.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
04-27-2010, 06:21 PM

Though i think immigration reform is needed. This is not the answer to the problem it only gives law enforcement the right to stop and question any person they believe to be illegal. Given the location of the state and what majority of americans believe ill give you one guess whos going to be stopped and questioned. Its not whites its not blacks and its not asians its going to be Latino's. Now i understand that since Arizona is on the boarder of course thats who they were look at it. But imagine being a Latino American you were born here and being stopped 3-4 times a week asking to show ID.

Not to mention that so many people are misguided about illegal immigration. People screaming they dont pay taxes and that they are taking advantage of the medical,welfare and other service in the county. Its just not true to qualify for any government aid you need to have SSN and many illegals who have fake one dont want the government examining their SSN so they dont qualify nor do they partake in those services. Also, majority of Illegals who have fake SSN actually pay higher taxes because they fear if they pay too little they will be examined or audited hence the government finding out they are illegal.

If you want to immigrate here i have no problem with that but you have to do it lawfully those who break the law and are caught need to be identified, finger printed and put on list and sent back to their home country not kept in jail with free food and shelter which will cost tax payers even more money. I believe in reform not the racial profiling which this law will undoubtedly create. I feel for Arizona residents since the Feds have done nothing to fix the problem but this is not right.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-27-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
I don't carry around papers proving I'm an American, so I wont be entering new police-state Arizona any time soon.
Police-state?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-27-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Though i think immigration reform is needed. This is not the answer to the problem it only gives law enforcement the right to stop and question any person they believe to be illegal.
What immigration reform did you have in mind?

The police must stop suspects with a primary offense as always; this hasn't changed. One must have identification in his or her possession when driving.

As for when not driving: Failure to provide identification to a police officer can be considered interfering with the officer's performance of their duties, which can get you in trouble. In any state you aren't required to carry an ID. However, the Supreme Court said that withholding ID from a police officer is not a protected activity under the 1st Amendment.

Quote:
Given the location of the state and what majority of americans believe ill give you one guess whos going to be stopped and questioned. Its not whites its not blacks and its not asians its going to be Latino's. Now i understand that since Arizona is on the boarder of course thats who they were look at it. But imagine being a Latino American you were born here and being stopped 3-4 times a week asking to show ID.
Until the illegal alien issue is solved, authorities must go after those who are thought to be illegals. The fact is the illegal aliens in that area are Hispanic; just as Asian illegals are in other places. If you are being stopped 3 or 4 times a week for a primary offense then this person has other issues.

This is the same double standard presented when additional searches when Americans have to fly; even domestically.

Quote:
Not to mention that so many people are misguided about illegal immigration. People screaming they dont pay taxes and that they are taking advantage of the medical,welfare and other service in the county.
They can use the ER and other government services without paying in the end. With millions of illegals doing this, it adds up. If a SSN is required, a fake one can be provided. Other forms of welfare other than cash are being used. Illegals don't pay income taxes if they are being paid under the table or provided an fake SSN.

Quote:
Also, majority of Illegals who have fake SSN actually pay higher taxes because they fear if they pay too little they will be examined or audited hence the government finding out they are illegal.
This doesn't make a lick of sense.

Quote:
If you want to immigrate here i have no problem with that but you have to do it lawfully those who break the law and are caught need to be identified, finger printed and put on list and sent back to their home country
Yet you don't want authorities to prove they are here legally by simply asking for ID if you are involved in questionable activity. How do you ID these illegals? What is you solution to the illegals that are here? Arizona isn't doing this for attention, they are doing it because they have to.

Many Arizonians welcome this and will consent to providing ID if they can get some control back, lower the crime rate and perhaps be able to help domestic employment.

Quote:
not kept in jail with free food and shelter which will cost tax payers even more money. I believe in reform not the racial profiling which this law will undoubtedly create. I feel for Arizona residents since the Feds have done nothing to fix the problem but this is not right.
Until the borders are secured, the U.S. has to jail those whom break MORE than just crossing the border illegally because they are dangerous and will just re-cross the border and repeat if they don't.

It is true that keeping dangerous criminals in jail is a drain on the system but what is the alternative.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

04-27-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjm View Post
Police-state?
Police state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Hey, you look brown. Prove that you are an American."
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-27-2010, 08:17 PM

It is state-government funded harassment.

If state governments want to reduce the number of illegal immigrants coming into their state there is a simple solution: punish the employers that hire them.

Hire illegals, and pay a fine. Do it again, and be shut down for a week, do it again and lose your business licence.

Instead chasing around those generally doing little more than try to make a better life for themselves and their families, why not take the much easier route to shut down those who hire them.

Instead of the police asking for papers in a police state, it should be the employers.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

04-27-2010, 08:27 PM

Don't be silly MMM. We can't punish business. How unCapitalistic!