JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Mother's Day in Japan (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/31875-mothers-day-japan.html)

nobora 05-08-2010 06:44 PM

Mother's Day in Japan

:pompoms: How is mothers day celebrated in japan and how do you plan to celebrate it?

Caerula 05-08-2010 07:36 PM

For all I know, they celebrate it like sons and daughters in other countries. They present their mothers flowers - red pinks for example - with an „okaasan arigatou". Some pamper their mothers in cleaning the whole house. I also red, that others give them a back massage or present them a wellness-weekend :)

MMM 05-09-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caerula (Post 811368)
For all I know, they celebrate it like sons and daughters in other countries. They present their mothers flowers - red pinks for example - with an „okaasan arigatou". Some pamper their mothers in cleaning the whole house. I also red, that others give them a back massage or present them a wellness-weekend :)

I would like you to cite your sources about cleaning the house and giving your mother a massage.

Caerula 05-09-2010 01:17 AM

Surely, but it´s written in german language:

Japan: In Japan wird der Muttertag heutzutage der amerikanischen Tradition folgend am zweiten Sonntag im Mai gefeiert. Wie anderswo auch bekommt die Mama Blumen, meist rote Nelken, mit dem Dankesspruch „okaasan arigatou, Danke Mutter“ geschenkt – aber keine weißen, da die an Bestattungsfeiern erinnern. Manche verwöhnen ihre Mutter, indem sie das Haus säubern, oder mit Massagen, wozu es auch ein Lied gibt, in dem es heißt: „Mutter, lass mich Deinen Rücken massieren“. Andere schenken ihrer Mama gar einen Hotelbesuch inklusive Massage und Schönheitspflege.

source: Wie andere L

:)

xHikariXCutenesSXAmex 05-09-2010 01:24 AM

I think Mother's day is pretty universal. This is only my opinon, but love for your mother is something everyone shares. Even if they do have to be in your business, tell you what to wear and what to listen to. And still, they cook and clean for us despite our protests and obnoxious rude behavior. Give mothers a hand. :pinkclap:

Caerula 05-09-2010 01:38 AM

Yes, that´s right :)

@ MMM: here is a translation of the german text:

Following the American tradition the mother´s day in Japan is nowadays celebrated on the second Sunday in May. Like in other countries, the mother receives flowers as a gift, very often red pinks, with an „okaasan arigatou” Thank you, mother – but no white pinks, because they remind of funerals.
Some pamper their mother by cleaning the house or with massages. Therefore exists a song: "Mother, let me massage your back". Others present their mother a visit in a hotel including wellness-programs.

MMM 05-09-2010 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caerula (Post 811393)
Surely, but it´s written in german language:

Japan: In Japan wird der Muttertag heutzutage der amerikanischen Tradition folgend am zweiten Sonntag im Mai gefeiert. Wie anderswo auch bekommt die Mama Blumen, meist rote Nelken, mit dem Dankesspruch „okaasan arigatou, Danke Mutter“ geschenkt – aber keine weißen, da die an Bestattungsfeiern erinnern. Manche verwöhnen ihre Mutter, indem sie das Haus säubern, oder mit Massagen, wozu es auch ein Lied gibt, in dem es heißt: „Mutter, lass mich Deinen Rücken massieren“. Andere schenken ihrer Mama gar einen Hotelbesuch inklusive Massage und Schönheitspflege.

source: Wie andere L

:)

It doesn't say anything about cleaning the house, and I think only a child would give a massage to a mother. Otherwise it would be kind of creepy.

xHikariXCutenesSXAmex 05-09-2010 02:00 AM

It's your mother dude. It's only creepy if you make it creepy.

Nyororin 05-09-2010 05:29 AM

The massage and housecleaning thing is totally normal for kids. The classic gifts from children are "cleaning" and "massage" tickets - little hand drawn tickets that can be cashed in for cleaning tasks and massages. Also, washing mom in the bath is a pretty common one too.

The massage alone is pretty normal. It`s not even something really big and special once you`re an adult, which is why it sort of fades away as a "gift". Giving mom a back massage is nothing special and can (and is) done pretty any time.

Adults tend to give flowers or other gifts. This year`s gift to mother-in-law is a new TV for her workroom. Last year it was 3 months of cakes. The year before a clock and flowers.

manganimefan227 05-09-2010 12:17 PM

I'm writing her a story, need's more working on!