JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Social crisis in Japan because of young peple. (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/32027-social-crisis-japan-because-young-peple.html)

14041978M 05-18-2010 08:33 AM

Social crisis in Japan because of young peple.

some thing

Sashimister 05-18-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14041978M (Post 812477)
My colleague a Japanese lady has recently told me that there is a social crisis in Japan due to the following: young people are so much unbound to the country, they do not want to work hard – why on earth – if they can work 4-5 month and then leave to another developing country and rest there using the money and do nothing; they do not want to have families, because it is again a type of boundary and responsibility which will only abuse; they do not want to have kids etc. I was wondering if young people in Japan are really like this? :confused:
Mark
:ywave:

That's way too much over-generalization. I would say less than 5% of young Japanese did what she told you they did.

clintjm 05-19-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14041978M (Post 812477)
My colleague a Japanese lady has recently told me that there is a social crisis in Japan due to the following: young people are so much unbound to the country, they do not want to work hard – why on earth – if they can work 4-5 month and then leave to another developing country and rest there using the money and do nothing; they do not want to have families, because it is again a type of boundary and responsibility which will only abuse; they do not want to have kids etc. I was wondering if young people in Japan are really like this? :confused:
Mark
:ywave:

Don't believe everything you hear.

Sinestra 05-19-2010 04:40 PM

I have read studies that do point out some of these things, but its way over generalized. Yes there is a problem with the amount of children born in Japan thats a fact because of how expensive it is to raise a child in Japan among other factors like the stigma of mental health treatment. But to classify an entire generation as lazy is another matter. Just like any country Japan is constantly changing though more slowly than some developing countries. There are bound to differences in how every generation views the world.

sarasi 05-19-2010 11:59 PM

The number of Japanese people who work for 4-5 months and then go to developing countries must be tiny, and hardly the cause of a "social crisis" here.

What has been concerning people is the number of young people who drift from low-paid job to low-paid job (inside Japan) without showing any signs of wanting to settle down- they're called "freeters", if you Google it you'll find lots of info. Also of concern are the hikkikomori and "NEET" people, mostly young guys.

The social issues Japan has at the moment and the differences between generations can't really be generalised about like the woman you spoke to did- it's far, far more complicated than that.

JamboP26 05-20-2010 09:32 AM

To be honest, as a young person, I think this sounds like 90% of young people all around the world. The number of times I hear "I can't be bothered with this." I'd say its a global thing rather than confined to Japan, but obviously the Japanese way of life is more organised the other nations, so 'problems' will be clearer to see.