JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

BACKPACKING. Travelling. - 12-30-2010, 10:58 AM

some of you have clearly ventured far afield in search of pastures or deserts new.

How difficult was it and for others who dream about leaving home and venturing on the exciting road air or sea to visit those previously dreamed of countries-- Has it made a difference in your life or lives?

what have you learned from meeting the residents in those places you have travelled to?

Would you encourage others to also travel-- really travel-- trek----- work on the way etc?

Do you have a better perspective about the reality for the people who dwell in these countries?

Is it wise for a woman alone to backpack?

Have you had adventures on the way?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

01-01-2011, 01:20 PM

Anyone here been back packing or have the desire to do so?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

01-01-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
some of you have clearly ventured far afield in search of pastures or deserts new.

How difficult was it and for others who dream about leaving home and venturing on the exciting road air or sea to visit those previously dreamed of countries-- Has it made a difference in your life or lives?
It wasn't ~that~ difficult. Backpacking doesn't have to be done in some far-flung third world country; you can backpack around your own country or other western countries and gain just as much. I mean, you want to go? Just raise the funds, do some planning and then just GO. It's not rocket science.

I think it's pretty useful for pre-uni students to go away and travel a bit. Makes them grow up somewhat and learn how to organize themselves. It can make a big difference, or it can be a waste of time and money. It depends on the person and the trip.

Quote:
what have you learned from meeting the residents in those places you have travelled to?
Backpacking's one of those things where you don't really knuckle down with the society you're visiting; not really. Basically you can't really manage that unless you actually ~live~ there for a while. Most backpackers keep moving around so you only get glimpses, or meet residents very briefly.

I'd encourage other people to go backpacking. It's a lot of fun and a cheap way to see a lot of the world.

Quote:
Do you have a better perspective about the reality for the people who dwell in these countries?
Not really. I went to Vietnam for 3 weeks. I still couldn't say I -really- know anything about how people live in Vietnam. A general idea. You go just to see things and most of the perspective you gain is about yourself and your own country.

Quote:
Is it wise for a woman alone to backpack?
Depends on the country. Some places it's not wise, but most places it's doable. And tend to one you'll join up with other backpackers anyway.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

01-01-2011, 05:53 PM

thanks for your reply Columbine.