LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-26-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass View Post
Crap, are you serious? It can't possibly be as bad as America right? Every damn TV show here is about how good celebrities look and which celebrities got fat over the holidays.

Maybe it's the celebrity culture I hate here and how much being good looking and popular is valued here.

I really hate being born here in America because I refuse to buy $1000's of dollars on clothes each year and $1000's of dollars on plastic surgery. I was hoping Japan would be better. I guess maybe not.
9_9 a good proportion of TV shows in Japan have panels of celebrities there simply to look good and pass commentary on the video. Even things utterly unrelated to why they're famous. You get people in Japan who are famous simply for being good-looking. Magazine idols, etc. Not modals, note, idols. And Japanese women can be ruthless when it come to extra weight, with themselves and with other people.

And shopping is HUGE in Japan. Brand names, designer gear, it's all very much in demand, and by men too, not just women.

As for plastic surgery, yes, it's relatively popular. According to some stats, Japan has about 42K procedures per annum, landing it in 4th after the USA, Mexico and Brazil, but Japan's rate is higher than the USA if you take it by per capita (33.6 over 30.7). Generally non-invasive procedures are favored over major body work.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

05-26-2010, 10:17 PM

If you feel that all (or even most) American women are 'shallow' then of course none of them are going to like you.

Oh yeah: And as mentioned, Japan is SUPER focused on looks. Idols are very popular, singers sometimes don't really need to be able to sing as long as they look cute, and a billion other things that everyone has mentioned.

Last edited by MissMisa : 05-26-2010 at 10:20 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
05-26-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I am really surprised there are so many people here to jump up and defend America. Are you guys really unconvinced that this is the shallowest place on earth? Hollywood culture is practically worshiped here. Being intelligent, or even acting like you have common sense is ridiculed. This has to be the worst non third-world country on earth.

And yes, of course, there are honest caring women here and there are some superficial shallow men here. I know that. There are jewels and exceptions in every society. I have dated women who were honest and non-shallow. I'm not putting down every single woman in this country.

The issue I have is the culture itself and the sheer amount of superficial women here. I realize Japan is not an oasis but I was looking for something better than here.
Have you ever heard of Visual Kei?

It's an entire Japanese music style based on appearance. And if you Google it, you will find that it is very, very popular. Girls of all ages fill VK artist's concerts with open eyes and closed ears. They are there because the artists are "OMG HAWT!" (though there are a few good bands out there, don't get me wrong).

Japan is as superficial, if not more, than America, and VK is only the tip of the ice burg of superficiality. Your problem isn't that you're just not "hot" enough, it's more than likely that you have bad social skills.

There are unattractive guys with girlfriends, and there are attractive guys without girlfriends. It isn't about looks, it's about how you come off to someone. Don't go tossing the blame on America when it's yourself you need to work on. As MMM said, it will only follow you, even if you decide to fly to the moon.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
05-26-2010, 10:49 PM

Why do these thread constantly pop up sigh

I think you need to step back and take a long look at yourself, did ever consider you yourself might be the problem. Im not sure how old you are but considering the title of this thread i suspect your pretty young. You my friend need to get out and experience the world and once you do i highly doubt this irrational logic of yours will still hold water. You picked the wrong country to admire if you say your fed with women being superficial.

The grass is not always greener just like shorter or a little taller.

Last edited by Sinestra : 05-26-2010 at 10:58 PM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-26-2010, 10:57 PM

I don't think you can rate a country as superficial or not. Certainly there are people that live to follow the fashion and gossip of celebrities any where in Japan, the US or anywhere world. But for every person that follows that stuff obsessively, there are more that couldn't care less.

I just reread this:
Quote:
I really hate being born here in America because I refuse to buy $1000's of dollars on clothes each year and $1000's of dollars on plastic surgery. I was hoping Japan would be better. I guess maybe not.
What in the world are you talking about. I don't know a single person in the US who spends that kind of money or has any interest in spending that kind of money on clothes or plastic surgery. It is safe to guess you live in Los Angeles, or some other big city in California or maybe Florida? That is not how most of the country, much less the world thinks. Instead of moving to Japan, why not move north a state or two.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

05-26-2010, 11:04 PM

MMM why bother? This sounds like personality and confidence problem to me. How many of these kind of post have we seen here and they all bear the same resemblance.

(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-26-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
MMM why bother? This sounds like personality and confidence problem to me. How many of these kind of post have we seen here and they all bear the same resemblance.
My initial instinct was to erase it, but then I remembered Brass was dating a single mom. I think that kind of hypocrisy was worth having out in the open.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

05-26-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
My initial instinct was to erase it, but then I remembered Brass was dating a single mom. I think that kind of hypocrisy was worth having out in the open.
I guess i just dont patience for this crap threads anymore. My trip to Japan is coming up in Aug maybe i should take some pictures for him if he thinks Japan is any less superficial and obsessed with beauty and trends than any other country.

I didnt know about the mom thing wow thats all i can say.

(#19 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-26-2010, 11:47 PM

There are shallow people everywhere, men and women. You attract the same type as yourself. Change yourself if you want to meet different types of people.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Brass (Offline)
JF Regular

05-26-2010, 11:55 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to get your guys panties in a bunch. I thought this forum would be somewhat sympathetic to my feelings on America but I guess I was wrong. I guess I watch too many movies and TV shows about "traditional japan" of that makes any sense and I am brainwashed as to what the reality is.

I still want to visit Japan but I guess moving there isn't really the cure to my ailes from society. Maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't exist outside of a third world country. Ideally I would probably like to live in the Japanese countryside or maybe in a small urban center with a Japanese wife (inb4haters). And no I'm not looking for some traditional submissive Japanese housewife or some kind of japanophile fantasy, just normal wife to start a family with.

And yes I do live in Southern California and yes I am the dude that posted the thread awhile back about dating the single mom. I'm no longer dating her per say, but still see her every now and then (her choice, not mine).