JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jonny10 (Offline)
New to JF

3D Modellers - 06-01-2010, 03:11 PM

Hello

I and some friends will create a game for fun but we need a person with 3D skills to help us.

Anyone interested?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

06-01-2010, 06:36 PM

I doubt you'll find any '3D Modellers' that want to create a game 'for fun.' It's extremely time consuming and a real pain in the ass. You'd need a big team of talented modellers, and their time is probably best spent on their own projects.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jonny10 (Offline)
New to JF

06-01-2010, 07:16 PM

There are tons of indie teams that start just like us and get 3D modellers easily. Most of the times they get a future in videogames. This is the best way to start for a 3D modeller that want to work with videogames as a career. Also, we are looking for students or people that have 3D modelling as hobby. I think you don't understand the meaning of the term "indie".

Last edited by jonny10 : 06-01-2010 at 07:38 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
murdvic (Offline)
New to JF

Greetings - 06-01-2010, 09:25 PM

Hi There, I am a 3ds max hobby modeller.
I don't know if I am what your looking for but check out my video sharing site.

Vimeo. search under mmacanimation

there you will find our efforts so far.

also my finished production on youtube. type. dropship complete 2009.

let me know!!

Murdvic.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jonny10 (Offline)
New to JF

06-02-2010, 12:13 AM

Hi and thanks for your interest in our project.
We liked what we saw, especially the dropship demo. We would love such an opening for our game, since we're thinking about starting it inside a spaceship.
If you're interested in joining our team, send an application for ubergames.geral@gmail.com
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

06-02-2010, 01:24 PM

Of course I understand the term indie, it's just inevitable that you won't have time to make a full 3D game, since usually these people are in full time education or are looking for employment.

Of course it's important to expand your portfolio as much as possible, but with realistic goals. And MOST indie teams NEVER make it to any sort of gaming market, it's just the very lucky ones that do. You have to be prepared to work very hard for nothing, and it's difficult to do that when most people in this field have other stuff to do.

I'm a 3D Modeller in Maya, though I've just started out. I've spoken to many game design teams, including one indie company that have started out making flash games for the iphone. They recommended that NOBODY DOES IT, because it's so hard and time consuming, haha.

I'm not saying you'll never make it, but instead of trying to make a 'whole indie game,' why don't you start out making mods for games and move onto bigger projects when you are comfortable with your team and know that they are committed enough to pull it off?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
jonny10 (Offline)
New to JF

06-02-2010, 05:16 PM

We are college students and we have plenty of free time and know many other people who do, as well. Eheh, we're not trying to pull off the next Crysis, ffs. A 3D game doesn't have to be that time consuming, believe me. Wasting our time in mods won't make us evolve or learn as general game developers as much, or nothing at all. Saying in your CV that you have modded for a game has as much value as saying you made a RPG in RPG Maker. If we make a game using the engine I programmed in XNA, adding it to our portfolio will have MUCH more value. Luck? We just need a good team. Remember, Braid was created by 2 people and is one of the most successful games ever. Were they lucky? Not really, didn't have to.

"You have to be prepared to work very hard for nothing, and it's difficult to do that when most people in this field have other stuff to do."

We're looking for people interested in games, after all. Mostly, modellers as students or modellers. We don't want modellers that use their time making living rooms or houses for architecture purposes, I believe you can understand that. Nothing? This can even evolve into something commercial. If there were no indie teams like us, the game industry would be a LOT worse. Besides, indie games are the fashion now-a-days. Also, who wouldn't want to finish their degree with a GAME in their portfolio?
We wouldn't waste our time with Flash games for iPhone. Unity has much more potential. Besides, the iPhone is already saturated with lots of "Flashy" games and unless they pull off something innovative, I think they'll stay with that opinion.

We'll stay with our stand. We'll try to get as much talented people as we can, and then see what we can do it that, maybe even start with 2D games. Remember that the main function of every indie game developing team is to LEARN, EVOLVE, EXPERIENCE, not making money or wasting time for "nothing" as you say .
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

06-02-2010, 09:35 PM

By working hard for nothing, I meant no money.

Maybe it's different where you come from, but I'm at University and when I'm there I'm constantly busy doing my degree. I have free time in the holidays, but that means for most of the year I wouldn't be able to think about doing anything besides my degree and my part time job. I heard you guys have longer holidays and stuff, I don't know.

People in the industry have got jobs in game design from modding games, it's more likely to get in that way than making your own team. There are THOUSANDS of people trying to do what you're doing, listing they VERY few that have made it why doesn't prove your point.

I don't know how many game designers you've actually spoken to, but in a conference with Bethesda and Splash Damage they said they've hired a number of people who have just made mods in games. Like I said, the indie companies (which include Team 17 - who started out self publishing games, and are famous for Worms, Lemmings and the new Alien Breed. And also Hello Games, and indie company who are releasing a title called Joe Danger for the PS3 in a few days) I've spoken to advise you to take another route instead of 'setting up your own company.'

If you want to do it, it's a full time thing.

There is some 3D stuff I'm sure you'd be able to pull off, as long as it's not a big epic story fantasy RPG thing.

You can understand I hear a lot of people saying 'I WANNA MAKE VIDEOGAMEZ' and I just want to make sure they are realistic about it, and you don't seem to be one of those people, so I hope you make it. I was probably quick to judge you on that, and I apologise for it.

Also, there is a market for such things nowadays, with the rise of Xbox Live Arcade and Wii shop channel. So I hope that's a positive thing for you guys.

I agree it would be great to have a full finished game, I'm just questioning the likelyhood of that happening. Just wanted to offer other options that might be easier to start off with, that's all.

And don't be so skeptical about Flash games, look at how much Farmville is raking in these days!

Anyway, all I have to say is, come back in a few years and prove me wrong! Good luck with the project.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
jonny10 (Offline)
New to JF

06-02-2010, 11:29 PM

Money is really not important for us. There are other things with more value.

Yeah, probably it is different, since we have lots of free time and there are rarely students with part time jobs. Also, in our country there is nothing like game industry or game developers. Effort in order to be a pioneer at it is worth it, at least.

The game industry in general is becoming more and more saturated. Look at how much totally crap games are being released. Since when there is a really good game (not based on others) coming out? Evolution is not about copying and improving. It's about creating. We won't offer old ideas and we'll try new things instead.

“People in the industry have got jobs in game design from modding games, it's more likely to get in that way than making your own team.”

Sorry but that is a very wrong assumption and generalization.

Also, there are even more people trying to do mods for games they like, studying every detail of the game, how to import models into the game and such, wasting time in the end with one more of the tons of mods available and knowing nothing to few about game design. With indie, we not only have XBLA with XNA but there are hundreds of contests and competions for indie developers. Indie games are today's fashion. People no longer cry for the super graphics or super 20GB content. Players want FUN. They want GOOD games. They don't want to waste their time LEARNING how to play, they want to actually PLAY. These and more reasons make us a different, innovative and in many ways better indie team than your usual idea of indie team, believe me.

Why would we spend our time modding a game when we can use our own game engine and actually GET something? With our own game engine we can actually improve upon it, create something, not modify. Actually, this is on what most companies fail at the moment. They get something, modify it, say it's improved and sell it. We actually want to CREATE

Team 17 have some of the greatest games ever. Bethesda won't ever run from their “winning formula” so they might as well get modders for their RPG engine.
Other than that, what do companies get with more indie teams? Competion? New names to fear?
Look, we know it's hard, but everything worth getting always is. It might as well be hard in something we love.

It doesn't have to be a full time thing.

“There is some 3D stuff I'm sure you'd be able to pull off, as long as it's not a big epic story fantasy RPG thing.”

Don't worry, we won't make an Oblivion

I appreciate your apologies and no, we're not the “WE WANNA MAKE VIDEOGAMEZ AND BE RICH AS HELLZ” kind of people. We are very realistic and not seizing the opportunity (now that we have the free time) will be a really stupid thing to do. Soon we'll be working at full time in our boring as hell jobs and never get the time or spirit to risk it.

I appreciate your opinion and ideas but unless you want to take part in a mod team with us and assure us it will be 100% worth it in the end, we like our ideas better.

Sorry but Farmville is a stupid RPG-like brainless grind that offer no sense of achievement what-so-ever. I can't understand how people have “fun” playing it, honestly.

We'll try ^^. Thank you, mostly for your opinion
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

06-02-2010, 11:37 PM

Haha, well, considering you seem to have a good grasp of what you're doing, if you need 3D/Art people on the team, then you can consider me in if you like.

It's probably pretty hypocritical (and a massive turnaround) to offer my help after bashing indie games for the last few posts, but hey, it's worth a shot right? You've convinced me, haha.

I don't know what calibur of people you are expecting, I've only been modelling a few months, but been doing artwork much longer.

You can see a portfolio of some of my stuff here: sallysportfolio.tk
And here: MissMisa's Blog - Anime - Animation - Artwork

Anyway, if not I'll understand and wish you luck with the project.

Please update and let us know how it's going!~