JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
swordmaster3 (Offline)
New to JF

host family kids - 06-02-2010, 02:18 PM

So im going to stay with a host family in japan for a month. Sadly, their kids are old and do not live with them. My mom told me to change families, she believes a family with kids my age will improve my language learning. Should i change families or not?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
mackerel (Offline)
New to JF

... - 06-02-2010, 04:09 PM

I belive you don't necessarily need to do that. I think how effectively you learn a language depends not on who you talk to but on how hard you try to communicate with others. Older people tend to be more obstinate than younger people but they know far more things about Japan so if you are willing to take their ways of living and thinking, you will be able to get much more.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-02-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordmaster3 View Post
So im going to stay with a host family in japan for a month. Sadly, their kids are old and do not live with them. My mom told me to change families, she believes a family with kids my age will improve my language learning. Should i change families or not?
In my personal experience, there isn`t really a difference. In fact, having kids of a close age to you might actually work to the opposite. Without kids there, all the time can be dedicated to talking to you. With kids, well, there is likely to be an expectation of you teaching the kids some English... And a lot more conversation that doesn`t include you.

Also, there is nothing saying you`d share any interests or get along with them at all. Imagine living with the exact opposite of someone you`d normally hang out with.

I`ve seen a LOT more homestayers who had a bad experience because they didn`t get along with the kids than the parents...

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Cypsis (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Cypsis
06-11-2010, 07:15 PM

my sister is going to Japan for a month too ( and stays in host family). but her host family has same old (I think same old or maybe +-1 year) daughter.
I believe same old children makes staying easier, but it really does not make a that big change ^^
Ganbatte on your stay! ^^

A Girl with a dream