LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-09-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
The officer was upset but even he had to admit that it is a great thing to live in a country where you can approach a uniformed and armed man of authority and politely ask him to leave your shop.
Where are you reading the officer was upset?

Crooker says he has mixed emotions about being asked to leave. During his tour of duty in Iraq in 2004, he grew an appreciation, he says, for people's willingness and freedom to challenge authority. In Iraq, says Crooker, people would never confront an authority figure. So in one sense he says he was slightly humiliated and disappointed. On the other hand, Crooker says, he's appreciative of a country that allows people to question who ever they want -- concerning what ever they want.

Quote:
In many places that would be the equivalent of asking to be harassed, beaten or even arrested. Rather than pitying the officer or mocking the cafe owner (and it's a co-op so everyone who works there is an owner), look at the action as a sign that people can exercise their rights without fear of brutal reprisal. It is a great thing.

I also trust that the cafe knows it's demographic. The people who are boycotting it are not their clientele in the first place, their regular clientele is happy about the cafe's choice and their actions may cause people of like mind to now patronize them to show support. Their sales may increase.

Assuming the police in Portland are good people, they will still respnd to calls from that address because they are professionals. Even if they disagree with the cafe it doesn't mean they wish harm on the cafe.
I agree with the rest of your post, for the most part. I don't agree with the fact that they took the police officer's money before asking him to leave, though.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-09-2010, 07:06 AM

I don't mean upset as to cause emotional distress but as in to force something out of it usual position. To cause an upset.

Sorry for being unclear.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-09-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I don't mean upset as to cause emotional distress but as in to force something out of it usual position. To cause an upset.

Sorry for being unclear.
But the officer addressed exactly what you are saying in the article I quoted in the OP.

I hope you read it all the way through.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
kunitokotachi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-21-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryInJapan View Post
I agree to an extent, because there are to Manny corrupt cops..Not necessarily that they break the law...But they're morals and way of handling things lack to compassion for people as they used to in the good ol days.I'm talking about pre-70's era.

Now cops throw around they;re power more often than not when its not necessary.

There still are good cops out there, I think that was a little extreme to kick him out just because he is a cop.
1. I'm a little interested in your definition of corrupt? Can you elaborate?

2. Pre-70's era was the good ol days? Not even close. Policing used to be so out of control that a 14th amendment was needed to incorporate the protection guaranteed in the bill of rights and applied to state law enforcement. It was thought before this that the safeguards in the US Constitution only applied to federal law enforcement so at that time federal law enforcement officers could ask state and local officers to do searches for them without probable cause.

3. "Now cops throw around they;re power more often than not when its not necessary." Are you really sure about this one? You know there is something called the "Steps of de-escalation?" It's a guideline that explain what level of force is necessary for each situation. However, steps can be skipped depending on the situation at hand. There isn't a one size fits all when it comes to this.

宣告されてから弁論しても手遅れである。
(#35 (permalink))
Old
kunitokotachi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-21-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
Unlike in other industries, for those in law enforcement it's easier to get away when they break the law, so there is a difference.
I agree, it might seem foolish of him, but if he feels safer when there are no cops around, then that's his choice.
You are assuming and I'm sure that being that you are not a legal expert or well versed in the criminal justice system that it is highly likely that you occasionally mix up the differences between criminal behavior, status offenses, deviant behavior, violation of departmental policies, and actions that can lead to a civil suit.

Many people do this unfortunately.

宣告されてから弁論しても手遅れである。