JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
The Return of Hayabusa - 06-14-2010, 11:13 AM

This is something which has received painfully and surprisingly little news coverage both inside and outside of Japan...
Hayabusa has finally completed it`s mission and returned to Earth. Now all that is left is to check and see if it succeeded in collecting a sample or not. But after all it`s been through, even if there is no sample - no one will hold it at fault.

The story of this little machine quite honestly brought me to tears... (For some reason, stories of machines somehow just managing to scrape by in an almost dead state in an attempt to "survive" is a serious weak spot for me.) Pretty much everything that could go wrong DID go wrong, so Hayabusa sort of scraped by doing it`s best with severely limited (and leaking at that) fuel, resources, countless broken pieces and a number of malfunctioning systems.... And managed to make it home. It`s a testament to just how far the engineers thought ahead about potential failures and how much they invested into "self repairing" mechanisms.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

06-14-2010, 08:44 PM

Really? Hmmm, an inspiration to humans, the classic "never give up" , not even machines do now! That's awsome! Thank you for bringing this up! I can see where the tears would come from . . .

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Neffiline (Offline)
JF Regular

06-15-2010, 05:28 PM

There he is: Hayabusa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

n____n

I think it's awesome it's finally coming back! I too, wish there was move coverage.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

06-15-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
This is something which has received painfully and surprisingly little news coverage both inside and outside of Japan...
Hayabusa has finally completed it`s mission and returned to Earth. Now all that is left is to check and see if it succeeded in collecting a sample or not. But after all it`s been through, even if there is no sample - no one will hold it at fault.

The story of this little machine quite honestly brought me to tears... (For some reason, stories of machines somehow just managing to scrape by in an almost dead state in an attempt to "survive" is a serious weak spot for me.) Pretty much everything that could go wrong DID go wrong, so Hayabusa sort of scraped by doing it`s best with severely limited (and leaking at that) fuel, resources, countless broken pieces and a number of malfunctioning systems.... And managed to make it home. It`s a testament to just how far the engineers thought ahead about potential failures and how much they invested into "self repairing" mechanisms.
I also cried when I had to isolate the Incg.0 from my F. Equation.

Edit: Hayabusa

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.

Last edited by JasonTakeshi : 06-15-2010 at 08:41 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-15-2010, 10:41 PM

It was on the national news here. Pretty neat light show.