LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Mickeyblueyes (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Mickeyblueyes
Hosto - 06-15-2010, 05:22 PM

Hi Everybody,

I am interested in knowing if a foreigner can become an HOSTO.

Are there any specialized agencies for that?

Thanks + ciao

Mickey
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-15-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyblueyes View Post
Hi Everybody,

I am interested in knowing if a foreigner can become an HOSTO.

Are there any specialized agencies for that?

Thanks + ciao

Mickey
Just go into the place and ask for a job. There are no agencies...
I do know a foreigner who worked as a host, and he quit after one day.

Why do you want to be a host?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

06-15-2010, 05:31 PM

Whoa, What happened to that person?

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-16-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
Whoa, What happened to that person?
Yeah, MMM. I am curious to hear that story.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-16-2010, 05:02 AM

My friend really wanted to be a host. He got into a host club in Osaka, but realized that despite being a handsome American man, he was the lowest man on the totem pole. He spent the night filling glasses and cleaning ashtrays and never was given the opportunity to even speak to a customer. That's why he quit.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

06-16-2010, 05:58 AM

Whoa, erm, Thanks for sharing, poor guy . . .

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-17-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
My friend really wanted to be a host. He got into a host club in Osaka, but realized that despite being a handsome American man, he was the lowest man on the totem pole. He spent the night filling glasses and cleaning ashtrays and never was given the opportunity to even speak to a customer. That's why he quit.
If he quit after only one day of that, was he unclear about the business he was trying to become part of. or were his expectations bordering on delusional? While those duties are not what he was looking for, they are customarily what the new guys are responsible for.

Like any business, there is a pecking order and when it involves any kind of sales, the new employee has to "learn the ropes" before being allowed to deal with customers. Can you imagine the legal liabilities the owners take with trainee hosts, aside from the risk of a foreigner accidentally running off customers before they have been around long enough to see how things really work?

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-17-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
If he quit after only one day of that, was he unclear about the business he was trying to become part of. or were his expectations bordering on delusional? While those duties are not what he was looking for, they are customarily what the new guys are responsible for.

Like any business, there is a pecking order and when it involves any kind of sales, the new employee has to "learn the ropes" before being allowed to deal with customers. Can you imagine the legal liabilities the owners take with trainee hosts, aside from the risk of a foreigner accidentally running off customers before they have been around long enough to see how things really work?
I am sure his expectations were bordering on delusional. He wanted to be a star from day one, and soon realized that would not be the case. It wasn't nearly as glamorous a job as he expected.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am sure his expectations were bordering on delusional. He wanted to be a star from day one, and soon realized that would not be the case. It wasn't nearly as glamorous a job as he expected.
I wish I could remember the name of a documentary I saw a few years ago because its a pretty realistic picture of the industry, without getting into too much of the sordid aspects.

It shows the "glamorous" image and then the life the average guys live behind the scenes, including those same crummy jobs around the club that they have to do when customers aren't asking for them. It was very clear that the one man they followed in part of it was the exception to the rule with his very high standard of living that was about to allow him to retire comfortably in his early 40s. The shocking part for me was the amount some hosts actually bring in (aside from trinkets & undeclared earnings). Some of the women have far more expendable income than most I know.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

06-17-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I wish I could remember the name of a documentary I saw a few years ago because its a pretty realistic picture of the industry, without getting into too much of the sordid aspects.

It shows the "glamorous" image and then the life the average guys live behind the scenes, including those same crummy jobs around the club that they have to do when customers aren't asking for them. It was very clear that the one man they followed in part of it was the exception to the rule with his very high standard of living that was about to allow him to retire comfortably in his early 40s. The shocking part for me was the amount some hosts actually bring in (aside from trinkets & undeclared earnings). Some of the women have far more expendable income than most I know.
The Great Happiness Space documentary? I'd be interested to hear if there was another one out. That one, whilst insightful, is a bit out of date now. The club they filmed it in doesn't even exist anymore.