JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

about japanese culture - 06-16-2010, 09:00 AM

As an English woman I am very interested in Japanese culture and history.

I read a lot about the culture of giving and exchanging gifts.

I wonder if this is still happening now.

I have a copy of the Chrysanthemum and the SWORD which is interesting but also more recent books.

There is talk of extremely long working hours. Is that still the case?

My japanese friend tells me that often she would work overtime till midnight. It was usual she says.

I wonder if younger generation still work these long hours.

ALSo th elong school day then the extra cramming. Does this still go on?

I hope there are some japanese people who can tell me.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JTM (Offline)
おしゃべり野郎

06-17-2010, 04:47 AM

The act of gift exchange is definitely still a long held tradition that is adhered to and is almost like protocol when working with business partners, co-workers and bosses. When going on trips (especially to foreign countries), bringing back gifts for family, friends and mates at work is almost a given (considered by the Japanese "joshiki"/common sense). Sometimes even the cost of the gift may need to be consideraed especially when giving gifts to "sempai" (superior).

The long working hours and Japanese "samurai" mentality when it comes to work and that is often times exaggerated in movies is thankfully a thing of the past as many "salary man" (office workers) don't work as hard or long as their predecessors and in fact work comparable hours to those of their counterparts in US or Europe. As with any country, you do have your overachievers and/or dedicated workers who still put in the long hours but many are starting to spend more time with family or social obligations and so we don't see as many "giving up their life" for work. The younger generation in particular are opting not to be "tied" with one company for the rest of their life and are more willing to work for different companies to get more upward mobility.

As for "juku" (cram schools), Japanese kids still go to those to improve upon various studies (usually English or Math) to prepare for High School (and college) entrance exams but I think the trend now is more for private tutors or other self-directed type of studying. Most of the Juku are private/company establishments so the tuition for those schools are a bit pricey and depending on the ambitions of the kids, some opt to go through other avenues to study for the exams. At the time when Juku schools thrived in the 80s and 90s, there was no internet, so studying was a bit more rough but now with computers and the internet it is a bit easier for students to find the help they need to help them prepare for those high school and college exams.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-17-2010, 01:52 PM

domo arigoto for your kind information. my japanese friend is always giving us gifts although I ask her not to. Yes we help her a lot and enjoy doing so, but wish that she would save her money. We care about her a lot.anything we do we do out of love.

I read about the japanese "ON" this sense of obligation.

One book I read even said that a baby in the womb is born with obligations to all those who have gone before.

It does seem strange to me although of course we do give gifts on special occasions but do not expect something back unless its Christmas maybe.

I give things to show affection and appreciation but there is no sense of obligation. At least not for me.

Do you know of a recent publication that may be more up to date with modern Japan?

I often wonder about the trouble in 0kinawa over the American Base.

I have been trying to learn some basic hiragana and kana but rather slow progress. Japanese calligraphy is so beautiful and a real art.

I so admire the way children are taught the written language, difficult as it seems to be.

thanks again for your kindness. babs in UK.

We met a couple of charming students and they stayed here over christmas. They were so kind and thoughtful lovely girls who now have returned to Japan.