JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
itokyoo (Offline)
New to JF

What are my chances to be a western model in Japan? (Tokyo) - 06-17-2010, 06:21 PM

Hi Japan experts!

I'm exploring the possibilities to live in Japan for 6 to 12 months. I have found a free place to stay in Tokyo and in return I help the guy to translate his social media pages and business stuff to English, Dutch, French etc. I think this is a chance in a lifetime.

The only downside is I have to buy my own food and I don't get paid. But I'm still very grateful that he offers me a place to stay without paying rent. I know Japan and especially Tokyo is an expensive place to live. As I only have enough money for the ticket to Tokyo I need to make some money to buy food and money to explore Japan. On some other websites I read some articles that Japan likes Western models. Some people say I should give it a go but I honestly don't know. Does Japan really want western models? What are the requirements? What are they looking for in a western model? What types of model jobs are available for western people? So many questions ha. I'm a 22 year old guy by the way and my height is 1.86m and my weight is around 70kg. I need your opinions.

Here are some pics:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8202602/001.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8202602/002.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8202602/003.jpg

I would do anything just to have some money for food and train tickets etc. Since I really have no clue if I'm suitable I thought why not posting my questions on a forum full with Japan experts

I appreciate all replies. Other suggestions to make some cash are also appreciated.

Oh and I'm also wondering what you guys think of this opportunity should I do it? Although I have already decided I still want to hear your opinions.

Best Regards
Mike
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-17-2010, 06:54 PM

Under what visa would you be traveling to Japan. A tourist visa is good for only 90 days.

You are fluent in Japanese? You said you will be translating in exchange for rent. It just wasn't clear to me that would be from Japanese.

Do you have professional head and body shots and a portfolio. Do you have an modeling agency with an office in Tokyo?

What sort of modeling experience do you have?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JTM (Offline)
おしゃべり野郎

06-18-2010, 01:42 AM

This sounds a bit suspicious. I'd question that type of living arrangement. Unless you're staying with a good friend or relative, I find it hard to believe that a stranger would be willing to put you up for half a year, rent free in exchange for translation work especially if you haven't done translation work previously.

I agree with MMM, I would think that just as in other countries you need some sort of agent or agency representation to work as a magazine/commercial model. Have you done modeling in the past or is this your first time? If foreign female models are having a hard time finding work in Japan, I would think it would be even that much more difficult for a male model just starting out.

While it may have been true in the past, foreign models are not all that uncommon in Japan and there are dozens of tall, mixed and exotic caucasian models living and working in Japan and most are fluent in Japanese or have lived there for quite a while so you have a lot of competition.

I think you should reconsider or have some sort of backup plan in place because Tokyo is one of the most expensive cities in the world to live and you will need a lot of money to make ends meet even if you have a rent free room.

Last edited by JTM : 06-18-2010 at 04:54 PM.