JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
NinaLee (Offline)
New to JF

Take A Look - 06-18-2010, 07:27 AM

So, Jan from Japan added me on facebook a few months ago and he is pretty intent on telling me everytime he signs on that I should be a model in Japan. Do you think I could be a model in Japan? Take a look at my pictures in the link below and let me know what you think. I have no modeling background what-so-ever but it cant be that hard!

Nina Lee pictures by naz14 - Photobucket

*Nina
http://www.wix.com/NinaLee/NinaLeePhotography
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-18-2010, 07:29 AM

You have ink, so "can't be that hard" just went to "very very difficult".

I am curious, why do you think breaking into the modeling industry in Japan would not be difficult?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-18-2010, 07:34 AM

Foreign models in Japan usually start out as underwear models.

You have tattoos. This makes modeling underwear pretty much hopeless.

Maybe if you were in Japan already, with some valid reason for your stay and plenty of time to wait around for the slim slim chance that some company would choose to use you rather than the countless half-Japanese models from childhood, or the other countless foreign women without tattoos... you might have the tiniest tiniest chance of being used for something somewhere.

Best bet is an unpaid extra in something after investing US$1000+ in a portfolio.

Modeling is not something that "cant be that hard". Particularly if you want to make any money.

But... I doubt you`ll read this, as your first post is just advertising your site. I only bothered to reply because there have been a few posts on modeling recently.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
NinaLee (Offline)
New to JF

06-18-2010, 07:43 AM

Haha of course I will reply back :P Idk, I was just curious cause he like.. really doesnt stop bothering me about it. I also know NOTHING about japan really so your guys' information is helpful. And boo, tattoos are beautiful! They shouldnt be shunned in all modeling!

Im a photographer anyways... dont get me wrong, I love to be infront of the camera too but.

I was just curious

*Nina
(#5 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-18-2010, 02:50 PM

First of all, modeling is hard, especially when you make it your career.

Secondly, are you aware of all the modeling scams that have been going on for decades? The standard ploy is to ecourage someone with marginal or better looks to go into the business, usually followed by signing a contract for far more "training" and bogus respresentation with higher than normal percentages being back by the person who recruits you than you will ever see for yourself. I suggest you check this person out or at least ask them for details about what they know of the industry, whether it be in Japan or elsewhere.

I modeled part-time when I was in high school and college and it was a lot of fun, but it was rarely easy. It can be highly stressfull and even physically demanding if you are doing photographic work. Holding an awkward pose is far more difficult than it looks. And the scam artists were always lurking at shows, on campus and in malls; just waiting for the eager teenager with stars in their eyes.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

06-18-2010, 08:51 PM

I modeled as a kid. It was so easy!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-18-2010, 09:04 PM

That's one of my little known facts. I did a little bit of Fischer Price type modeling stuff when I was just a toddler. Never did anything other than that, but I personally think I'd make a great TV personality. Maybe I'll try out for something at NHK.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JTM (Offline)
おしゃべり野郎

06-18-2010, 11:37 PM

This is similar to another thread question that was asked:

What are my chances to be a western model in Japan? (Tokyo)

You need some sort of agent or agency representation to work as a magazine/commercial model in Japan.

While it may have been true in the past, foreign models are not all that uncommon in Japan and there are dozens of tall, mixed and exotic caucasian models living and working in Japan and most are fluent in Japanese or have lived there for quite a while so you have a lot of competition.

I think your Facebook friend is just flirting with you or has some type of hidden agenda.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-19-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM View Post
I think your Facebook friend is just flirting with you or has some type of hidden agenda.
I think this is important. Considering he approached you on FB, this is pretty suspect. You would need to pay for professional shots, but if he is asking for a dollar from you upfront, then forget it. It is likely a scam.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
NinaLee (Offline)
New to JF

06-19-2010, 04:38 AM

I dont think hes trying to recruit me... he just thinks Im hot haha. He's probably just a creeper...but whatever I guess. Im too short to be a model anyways unless theres a place that accepts 5'5 girls :P

*Nina