JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
GreyWolf (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to GreyWolf
Lost posting - 06-18-2010, 10:03 AM

Somebody recently posted a question regarding what to say before and after meals in English - but I can't find it again. Can anyone help please?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-18-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolf View Post
Somebody recently posted a question regarding what to say before and after meals in English - but I can't find it again. Can anyone help please?
There's a search option at the top of the forum page, betweem 'New Posts' and 'Quick Links'. If you have time to shift through countless posts you can also search the Food section, which would likely be where the post in question is.

If you're asking what the Japanese say it's 'Itadakimasu' before, and 'Gochisosama' after. If you're actually asking what English is used before and after a meal, there isn't an English term for what to say before/after meals - some people pray before meals, but that's about it.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
GreyWolf (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to GreyWolf
06-18-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
There's a search option at the top of the forum page, betweem 'New Posts' and 'Quick Links'. If you have time to shift through countless posts you can also search the Food section, which would likely be where the post in question is.

If you're asking what the Japanese say it's 'Itadakimasu' before, and 'Gochisosama' after. If you're actually asking what English is used before and after a meal, there isn't an English term for what to say before/after meals - some people pray before meals, but that's about it.
I was going to reply to the post I'm looking for, as there are several instances of praying or "saying grace" before a meal and also after the meal particularly with formal dinners.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-18-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolf View Post
I was going to reply to the post I'm looking for, as there are several instances of praying or "saying grace" before a meal and also after the meal particularly with formal dinners.
Personally I've not heard anyone say grace outside of very religous families or commuinities, especially at formal events. Here formal events encompass people who may have a variety of beliefs so people tend to avoid saying grace in case it causes offence, grace seems to be a private thing said mainly only in a family environment. Of course that's just how it is in my local area, all countries/counties/states etc. are different.

Anyways - good luck in finding the post you're seeking