JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Korea Japan relations - 08-14-2010, 03:34 PM

So I saw a TV programme on Japanese TV tonight that was very interesting.

It was about relations between Korea and Japan.

An interesting statistic was given too.

A survey was carried out where Japanese people were asked whether they liked Korea, hated Korea, or had no particular feelings towards Korea.

The Japanese scored...

62% liked Korea
25% hated Korea
The rest (13%) had no opinion or no feelings of like or dislike towards Korea.

The same was asked to Koreans about Japan.

28& liked Japan
71% hated Japan
Just 1% had no opinion or no particular feelings of like or dislike towards Japan.

Its an interesting statistic but it kinda confirms for me, the tendency for Koreans to be ultra-nationalistic.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

08-14-2010, 04:40 PM

Here is a website with brief summary. perhaps Korans have good reasons no to like JAPAN as far as its history is concerned. The Japanese did use some Koreans to work for them on the Burmese railway and some of those Koreans were excessively cruel to the prisoners.

Japan-Korea Relations :: Japan Visitor
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
08-14-2010, 05:34 PM

Well I can kind of see why. The percentage of them liking Japan is probably higher now than ten to twenty years ago.
Its kind of some Japanese attitudes, too.
My boyfriend is Korean.
And one time we went to a party for international students. Our two Japanese friends joined us.
I met another Japanese guy, and was just chatting while my boyfriend was playing beer pong and talking to his senior Korean friends.
I told him I came along with my boyfriend and two friends. The guy pointed at my Japanese friends and asked if that was my boyfriend. I said no, pointed to who was, and explained he was Korean.

The Japanese dude called him "Josenjin"...Ack can't romanize it right, but that rude term it is for calling a Korean in Japanese nowadays rather than calling them "kankokujin"...and the guy said other insulting things. Kind of stupid really, seeing how he was only what, 170 cm and my boyfriend was more muscular, and 181cm...

My boyfriend wasn't happy, and when his father later found out the first thing he asked was, "did you kill him?"

I got a lot of Japanese friends who didn't mind me dating one of their own, or anybody else...but the moment I fell for the Korean one, I got a lot of shit from them.

(ironically enough, one of our Japanese friends introduced us.)

However, going back on subject
I don't normally blame Koreans for disliking them, but they are becoming openminded about the Japanese more. Its going to take awhile for those old wounds to heal, but I imagine the percentage will be even higher in the next 10 years, maybe.

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

08-14-2010, 05:49 PM

What group of people did they ask these questions? Teenagers, elderly, women, men etc?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2010, 07:13 PM

When the TV station made a similar program, it was an online vote.
There were many Japanese who disliked Korea by the online vote.
Because NHK was the left, NHK quitted an online vote.

I think that there were many a person and people liking Korea without interest before the Internet spreads.
Japanese knew the anti-Japan sentiment that the anti-Japan education and Korean in Korea had in information of the Internet, and the Japanese who had hostility have increased.

I do not understand till when a foolish argument repeats itself with the two countries.
It will be over before the sun becomes the white dwarf.

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

08-14-2010, 07:18 PM

Japan invaded Korea and most of East Asia. Rational or not, there is still a sense of hatred there, and not just by Koreans: by Chinese, Filipinos, etc.. And it doesn't help that Japan also has it's share of hate for whatever reason.

My great grandmother, who is over 90 years-old, lost her husband in the Philippines, when Japanese soldiers accused him of being a rebel. The reason for hate may be obselete these days, but we can only imagine the kind of things people have been through -- why they remember, and why they feel what they feel.

In my mind, all will settle through time.

Last edited by Jaydelart : 08-14-2010 at 07:56 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Atredies (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
So I saw a TV programme on Japanese TV tonight that was very interesting.

It was about relations between Korea and Japan.

An interesting statistic was given too.

A survey was carried out where Japanese people were asked whether they liked Korea, hated Korea, or had no particular feelings towards Korea.

The Japanese scored...

62% liked Korea
25% hated Korea
The rest (13%) had no opinion or no feelings of like or dislike towards Korea.

The same was asked to Koreans about Japan.

28& liked Japan
71% hated Japan
Just 1% had no opinion or no particular feelings of like or dislike towards Japan.

Its an interesting statistic but it kinda confirms for me, the tendency for Koreans to be ultra-nationalistic.
Is Kpop becoming Bigger than Jpop

i see you love to compare countries. you said that japan has bigger population than korea that makes j-pop more popular and implying it is better. you said that japan has bigger economy than korea and china that makes j-pop more popular and implying it is better. now you compare that japan is better sourced from a television survey that has a tendency of sensationalization. what is the point of this? you love japan so much that you should become a japanese.

i do not think you compare countries all day. no person would thinks every country is black and white unless you were a racist. maybe it is convenient to have black and white distinctions to all countries. that is if you were studying international relations and had personal biases.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
fubukishigo (Offline)
New to JF

:/ - 08-14-2010, 11:06 PM

Sounds like between us [ polish ] and germans. I think some of us just got hatred in their blood :/ - born from lineage of dislike...

井の中の蛙大海を知らず。
PL/UK
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

08-15-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
What group of people did they ask these questions? Teenagers, elderly, women, men etc?
They didnt specify so I assume it was a cross section.

The people they had in the studio for the conversation after all the stats were presented were all between the ages of 20 and 60.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

08-15-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
Japan invaded Korea and most of East Asia. Rational or not, there is still a sense of hatred there, and not just by Koreans: by Chinese, Filipinos, etc.. And it doesn't help that Japan also has it's share of hate for whatever reason.

My great grandmother, who is over 90 years-old, lost her husband in the Philippines, when Japanese soldiers accused him of being a rebel. The reason for hate may be obselete these days, but we can only imagine the kind of things people have been through -- why they remember, and why they feel what they feel.

In my mind, all will settle through time.
hmmm... I think this might go beyond resentment over the war and colonization but I agree that it contributes to it.

The show didnt touch on this... but I have a theory that intense nationalism in South Korea is to a large extent, the product of compulsory military service.

Its just my own theory though and I think its a good idea for a research grant if it hasnt been done (so anyone specializing in Korean or East Asian studies.... you are welcome )