LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
minimah (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to minimah
Maid Cafe? - 07-12-2010, 12:30 PM

Hi there,

My friends and I are looking to find employment in a maid cafe - we've heard much about them and I've personally been scouted by some on a previous trip to Singapore but we were unable to stay, no matter how tempted by the offer we were.

We are students, currently located in Melbourne, Australia, and would love it if anybody, Japanese or not, currently living in Melbourne would point us to a currently running a maid cafe or even plan to build one up theirselves We would more than gladly come and work for you, with utmost enthusiasm!

What with so many anime/manga fans in Australia, and not having any maid cafes currently set up, this maid cafe would be a nation-first and would surely attract a steady fanbase who would be willing to indulge in this new culture, just as we really want to indulge in working at such a cafe. It would surely attract a lot of attention and business and continue to thrive as others have done before!

If you want to discuss this or want any other further information, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Last edited by minimah : 07-12-2010 at 12:37 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JTM (Offline)
おしゃべり野郎

07-12-2010, 08:43 PM

Did a quick search and it does look like there is one "Maid Cafe" in Australia, although I'm not sure if it is still in business or not:

Aussie Maid Cafe - Tahmoor

You might want to check it out to see what it is like just to be cautious about whether or not it is legitimate food/snack establishment or a sleezy sex-club.

I'm still on the fence about whether Maid Cafes would work outside of Japan as it might be a hard sell to those who are not familiar with the gimmick or Japanese trend (outside of Japanese anime/otaku fan boys).

There was one in Canada but it had to shut down, I'm presuming due to lack of customers:

Maid Café in Canada Shuts Down (Updated) - Anime News Network|AU

Working at a Maid Cafe might seem like fun (wearing all the frilly, cute costumes) but you'll need to steel yourself against all the stares, unwanted sexual advances and possible harassment you're bound to get.

You should visit an actual Japanese Maid Cafe (if you haven't already) to see what they are really like before you and your friends decide on it:

Best Tokyo maid cafés | CNNGo.com

There are also YouTube videos that show what a typical Maid Cafe looks like:

YouTube - "Tokyo Eye" - Maid Cafes Part 1

70s と 80s年代 の 日本映画, CM, J-POP, TVドラマ と アクション刑事ドラマ 大好き!