JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Greetings from 京都! (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/33301-greetings-%E4%BA%AC%E9%83%BD.html)

Akihiko 08-11-2010 07:09 PM

Greetings from 京都!

Hey all! I'm an exchange student that's currently in Kyoto. It's about 4am 'cause I can't sleep, but oh well.

My interests vary, from art (I draw, play piano, guitar, and sing a little. Though I'm not all that good at singing :3), teaching Japanese, stuff like that!

I've been trying to get a community up as well, but I am no avail. The fruits of my efforts have yet to bear. But I'm confident that over time it will grow into the successful community I dream it to be! I'm glad to be a part of this wonderful community!

僕は名前はエスキュカイルです。宜しくお願いします!

MMM 08-12-2010 02:12 AM

Where in Kyoto are you staying? What school are you at. I like Kyoto a lot, but August is just hell.

WesternInk 08-12-2010 03:12 AM

Hello, Akihiko! I will be in Kyoto starting from September 13th, also as an exchange student. I'll be there for an entire year, attending Ritsumeikan University and living in Kamigyo ward.

MMM 08-13-2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesternInk (Post 823622)
Hello, Akihiko! I will be in Kyoto starting from September 13th, also as an exchange student. I'll be there for an entire year, attending Ritsumeikan University and living in Kamigyo ward.

Very cool! Congratulations!

Akihiko 08-13-2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesternInk (Post 823622)

Murasakino High School :3

MMM 08-13-2010 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akihiko (Post 823841)
Murasakino High School :3

Oh! A high school exchange! That is incredible. What's it like wearing a high school uniform every day?

Akihiko 08-13-2010 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 823844)
Oh! A high school exchange! That is incredible. What's it like wearing a high school uniform every day?

I actually start attending it next week. But I imagine it'll be fun

MMM 08-13-2010 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akihiko (Post 823845)
I actually start attending it next week. But I imagine it'll be fun

Oh, I see. So are you at your host family's house now?

Akihiko 08-13-2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 823846)
Oh, I see. So are you at your host family's house now?

Yeah. They're pretty decent. Just got out of my buddy's house and went there. I should be staying for a minimum of one semester.

MMM 08-13-2010 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akihiko (Post 823849)
Yeah. They're pretty decent. Just got out of my buddy's house and went there. I should be staying for a minimum of one semester.

That's cool. So does summer break end this week?

samokan 08-13-2010 01:24 AM

that is soo cool, i love kyoto but not in summer :D

although lots of event in kyoto in summer. the burning of the kanji in the mountain should be happening soon.

ahhh i miss kansai so bad..

MMM 08-13-2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samokan (Post 823855)
that is soo cool, i love kyoto but not in summer :D

although lots of event in kyoto in summer. the burning of the kanji in the mountain should be happening soon.

ahhh i miss kansai so bad..

Yeah, what I don't miss is the weather there. Always a few degrees hotter than Osaka in summer, and a few degrees colder in winter.

samokan 08-13-2010 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 823856)
Yeah, what I don't miss is the weather there. Always a few degrees hotter than Osaka in summer, and a few degrees colder in winter.

oh yeah winter , its freaking cold there compare to osaka too.

MMM 08-13-2010 06:19 AM

Yeah...how is the weather over there, Akihiko?

Akihiko 08-13-2010 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 823932)
Yeah...how is the weather over there, Akihiko?

It was rainy when I arrived in July. very rainy. now it's kind of mild. How's the weather where you're at MMM?

MMM 08-13-2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akihiko (Post 823935)
It was rainy when I arrived in July. very rainy. now it's kind of mild. How's the weather where you're at MMM?

We are about to enter a mini heatwave where I am, in the Pacific NW. Not looking forward to it. Though it is more mild here than it is in much of the US. Kansai is often in the 90s and very humid this time of year, so be thankful if things are mild now.

You have been there since July and haven't started school yet? That's a bit unusual.

manganimefan227 08-13-2010 06:40 AM

You are very lucky . . .Have a great time!!

Columbine 08-13-2010 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 823940)
We are about to enter a mini heatwave where I am, in the Pacific NW. Not looking forward to it. Though it is more mild here than it is in much of the US. Kansai is often in the 90s and very humid this time of year, so be thankful if things are mild now.

You have been there since July and haven't started school yet? That's a bit unusual.

I imagine the exchange kids might run on a different schedule to the main school so as not to clash with the US school timetables. Especially as OP is only there for 1 term.

Ah, I miss Kansai 懐かしい夏菓子夏河岸 8[

MMM 08-13-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 823965)
I imagine the exchange kids might run on a different schedule to the main school so as not to clash with the US school timetables. Especially as OP is only there for 1 term.

Ah, I miss Kansai 懐かしい夏菓子夏河岸 8[

I understand what you are saying, but the Japanese school schedule is April to October, then October to April. Starting in the middle of August seems difficult to me, but I am sure they find some way to adjust.

Columbine 08-13-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 823966)
I understand what you are saying, but the Japanese school schedule is April to October, then October to April. Starting in the middle of August seems difficult to me, but I am sure they find some way to adjust.

I know the term dates, but that's how our schedule was run. We started last week of August and then worked over the break through till Xmas, then we got a month off through January. Sucked coming back second term though as of course, there were hardly any Japanese students around for half of it!

I guess it depends on the high school and how many exchange kids they take in. Either way, most high school exchanges don't require any kind of Japanese fluency, so it's not like they have to slot the kids suddenly into the set curriculum half-way through the term; they have their own lessons. Also gives the Japanese kids and teachers a chance to settle in before the excitement of foreign visitors. Certainly at my school here in England they don't even like doing school trips before half term.

MMM 08-13-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 823973)
I know the term dates, but that's how our schedule was run. We started last week of August and then worked over the break through till Xmas, then we got a month off through January. Sucked coming back second term though as of course, there were hardly any Japanese students around for half of it!

I guess it depends on the high school and how many exchange kids they take in. Either way, most high school exchanges don't require any kind of Japanese fluency, so it's not like they have to slot the kids suddenly into the set curriculum half-way through the term; they have their own lessons. Also gives the Japanese kids and teachers a chance to settle in before the excitement of foreign visitors. Certainly at my school here in England they don't even like doing school trips before half term.

How many weeks were you in Japan before school started?

Columbine 08-13-2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 823974)
How many weeks were you in Japan before school started?

I arrived really late, so barely even one. We were all also college-age, so less fuss and control over where you stayed at first, or when you arrived. Provided you were there for induction at the start of term, that was about it.

MMM 08-13-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 823975)
I arrived really late, so barely even one. We were all also college-age, so less fuss and control over where you stayed at first, or when you arrived. Provided you were there for induction at the start of term, that was about it.

I have been a part of a few exchange programs, and that seems more normal. I wonder what the OP is doing all day while he waits for school to start.

Akihiko 08-13-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 823978)
I have been a part of a few exchange programs, and that seems more normal. I wonder what the OP is doing all day while he waits for school to start.

Sitting inside hoping that everything goes well for the next week. Also, I take long walks to nearby shrines and pray for good luck.

MMM 08-13-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akihiko (Post 824078)
Sitting inside hoping that everything goes well for the next week. Also, I take long walks to nearby shrines and pray for good luck.

Cool. Is your house close to the school?

Akihiko 08-14-2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 824084)
Cool. Is your house close to the school?

There's a bus stop near by

MMM 08-14-2010 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akihiko (Post 824105)
There's a bus stop near by

Oh, so you have to take a bus to school? Early mornings...

So it's a good thing you found this site. Lots of people experienced with Japan here.

What kind of cultural issues have you run into with your host family? Do you have a host brother or sister (likely brother) going to the same school?

Akihiko 08-14-2010 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 824111)
Oh, so you have to take a bus to school? Early mornings...

So it's a good thing you found this site. Lots of people experienced with Japan here.

What kind of cultural issues have you run into with your host family? Do you have a host brother or sister (likely brother) going to the same school?

Yeah. But they're shinto. And I know it's not really a religion, I consider myself shinto. So no conflicts thus far. They're really cool :3

MMM 08-14-2010 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akihiko (Post 824114)
Yeah. But they're shinto. And I know it's not really a religion, I consider myself shinto. So no conflicts thus far. They're really cool :3

I bet they are happy you have declared yourself as Shinto, as well. They must have a kamidana in their home if they are that religious.

You didn't say if you have a host brother or sister. I bet it might be a bit boring if there isn't someone there your age.

Nyororin 08-15-2010 09:20 AM

Why is it that I find this conversation so ... oddly amusing?

Qayin 08-15-2010 10:01 AM

こんにちは Nice to meet you here.

Sashimister 08-15-2010 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 824404)
Why is it that I find this conversation so ... oddly amusing?

JasonTakeshi 08-15-2010 02:31 PM

Meh. My post got deleted.

So I just make this one.

Sashimister 08-17-2010 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi (Post 824446)
Meh. My post got deleted.

Wonder what you said.

JasonTakeshi 08-17-2010 11:46 PM

What a coincidence! I live right next to where you are.

Wanna meet up?

Edit: Once again silenced!

manganimefan227 08-18-2010 01:17 AM

Nyororin: It's scary O_O

Sashimister 08-26-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manganimefan227 (Post 824815)
Nyororin: It's scary O_O

Don't be afraid. OP won't hurt you because he lives in Kyoto! :mtongue:

Doesn't matter if he didn't know what time it was in Kyoto when he posted a while ago. If he says he lives in Kyoto, he lives in Kyoto.