LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

08-15-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
So those that believe in the Islamic faith (23% of the world population) can't build a Community Center in New York City, one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world and the home of the UN?

THAT is insanity.
Nowhere did I say they shouldn't build in NYC.

To be more precise, I would like them to build a mosque, but am not particularly enthusiastic about the location (within the entire city) it is going to be built.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2010, 07:57 AM

Go do a Google map search of that area. You can even search out the old location of the Coat Factory to see where it is in relation to Ground Zero.

That tip of the island is what, 10-12 blocks wide? I'd like people to tell me with an area where land is limited, how many blocks away from Ground Zero does a community center in a diverse city have to be to not be considered disrespectful? How much distance before people who were not involved in the terrorist attack have to be before they can build a community center? Who gets to set that limit?

Has every other business, center and home in the area been vetted for sensitivity to the attack? Can you have a Muslim owned coffee shop two blocks away? Three? Right next door as long as too many Muslims don't gather there?

I can understand having strong and passionate feelings for the events of 9/11 but we can not set aside our founding principals. That would be complete hypocrisy.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-15-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
Go do a Google map search of that area. You can even search out the old location of the Coat Factory to see where it is in relation to Ground Zero.

That tip of the island is what, 10-12 blocks wide? I'd like people to tell me with an area where land is limited, how many blocks away from Ground Zero does a community center in a diverse city have to be to not be considered disrespectful? How much distance before people who were not involved in the terrorist attack have to be before they can build a community center? Who gets to set that limit?

Has every other business, center and home in the area been vetted for sensitivity to the attack? Can you have a Muslim owned coffee shop two blocks away? Three? Right next door as long as too many Muslims don't gather there?

I can understand having strong and passionate feelings for the events of 9/11 but we can not set aside our founding principals. That would be complete hypocrisy.
Good points

Jon Stewart made the same argument the other night.

How far is too far? Who gets to set that limit?

Municipal Land-Use Hearing Update - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 08/10/2010 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 08-15-2010 at 08:16 AM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-15-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
Nowhere did I say they shouldn't build in NYC.

To be more precise, I would like them to build a mosque, but am not particularly enthusiastic about the location (within the entire city) it is going to be built.
There are already two mosques within a few blocks of Ground Zero. What should we do with those places? Tear them down?

Are you saying the rule should be "No mosques in NYC"?

Should there be no Christian Churches in Waco TX, or OKC?
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Qayin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2010, 08:44 AM

They got rights to build a mosque and worship whatever they respect and we got to respect them too, but I don't like that they build it near G0. I think that it we cause more or less discomfort to the community around there. In my opinion if you build some religion building you can build it anywhere. All the followers can drive there no problem eventhough it's a little bit far, because they have faith. I think to build it near G0 so much is quite nonsense anyway.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-15-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qayin View Post
I think to build it near G0 so much is quite nonsense anyway.
Why?

Please explain that.

It is blocks from G0, and that means there are dozens of shops and buildings between the actual G0 and the location that is being proposed for this Islamic Cultural Center, which has been approved unanimously by the City Council committee in charge of these kinds of things.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

08-15-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
There are already two mosques within a few blocks of Ground Zero. What should we do with those places? Tear them down?

Are you saying the rule should be "No mosques in NYC"?

Should there be no Christian Churches in Waco TX, or OKC?
Leave them alone, no, I'm not saying that, and no, there should be.

Again, I'm not unhappy with the mosque being built. I have close muslim relatives and firmly discourage the ignorant misconceptions of the link between Islam and the extremist, terrorist factions. I am, however, unhappy with the decision to build in that specific location, despite the fact that people will be offended by it. I'm more disappointed with what seems to be an unwillingness to compromise for the sake of those who suffered losses during 9/11.

They don't have to build there. But I guess it has its purposes.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-15-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
Leave them alone, no, I'm not saying that, and no, there should be.

Again, I'm not unhappy with the mosque being built. I have close muslim relatives and firmly discourage the ignorant misconceptions of the link between Islam and the extremist, terrorist factions. I am, however, unhappy with the decision to build in that specific location, despite the fact that people will be offended by it. I'm more disappointed with what seems to be an unwillingness to compromise for the sake of those who suffered losses during 9/11.

They don't have to build there. But I guess it has its purposes.
You do realise that the attempts to have it NOT built are due to the ignorant misconceptions that you claim to discourage right?
(#29 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

08-15-2010, 09:06 AM

I'm a bit split on this... Being a Muslim myself, I witness pure ignorance everyday when it comes to Islam, even among my friends who supposedly take interest in my culture and belief. I'm generally the type of person that will never try to teach my belief to someone, and perhaps it's not good, but I usually prefer letting people do their own research. In reality, unless people see something on TV concerning the subject, they'll never go on google and research about it, hence the result of mass ignorance!

The point I'm getting at is that, this centre would be a great way to inform the types of people that I can't be bothered to inform, but at the same time, this centre will re-hatch all the negative sentiments a lot of these ignorant people have. So I guess, it's a good way to try to teach that the fundamentals of Islam has nothing to do with 9/11, but it's a risky way of doing it, because it might backfire and end up reigniting the discrimination that has been spread for the past 9 years. After 9/11, it was very tough for Muslims in America. I'm not speaking from personal experience, but there are two security guards at my building that lived in NY for 20 odd years, have a family, a home etc, but felt they had to move out of the US and come to France. They miss the US, the US is their home and they hope to move back one day, but controversies like this, will surely end up delaying the return to and openness of Muslims in America.

Last edited by noodle : 08-15-2010 at 09:09 AM.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-15-2010, 09:08 AM

Erm, I am of the opinion that this topic itself is seriously skirting the rules. As MMM joined in the discussion, I`ll step back and let him make the call - but we do NOT have religious related discussions on JF.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
Closed Thread