JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
LadyElectric (Offline)
New to JF

08-24-2010, 06:55 AM

Hey Toasty! The key is to keep in mind that Every Situation Is Different! My boyfriend is in his first year as a JET CIR working in a government office, which is different than most JETs (who go there not knowing much, if any, Japanese or much about the culture and end up teaching in classrooms)...if you plan on continuing your Japanese Language studies this is a more elite position that could be a wonderful opportunity for you. The program has only been growing, so I imagine that in 5-7 years it will still be a strong establishment of cultural relations

For now, if you find any chance to travel there in the near future...grab it! There are lots of short term summer language exchange camps and other learning/working/cultural opportunities that immerse you in culture while you're there.

Everyone here is very helpful...I've followed the application process and all info seminars since last November...and if you'd like any more info or have questions for a JET who is there currently (I'll get you in contact if you'd like), don't hesitate to contact me!

*KEY* get to know yourself...push your boundaries because so much of the outcome of your experience depends on who you are and how you handle new or challenging situations. A positive outlook is crucial, and while there is a massive support system in place for all JETS, past and present, this advise applies to anything you do in life...but especially if an international lifestyle is your goal
(#42 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-24-2010, 07:03 AM

Actually the program may be on the chopping block. It is not growing, but peaked around 2002. Since then there have been less people hired year by year. I have heard many CIR positions have been cut, as well.

I hate to tell you, but the government is looking at dropping the JET program. It is quite expensive with questionable results for the children taught.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Toastyzeus (Offline)
JF Regular

08-24-2010, 07:05 AM

Cool, you stated "pretty intimidating after studying Japanese for just four years", are you fluent in Japanese now?

(Sure looks like it, 10,126 posts on a Japanese forum lol)

I am going to assume you have been/are still on the JET programme, if so for how many years did you stay on it?

Did you learn Japanese while on the program?

~~I feel a little rude asking so many questions :3
I hope you don't mind, thanks.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
Toastyzeus (Offline)
JF Regular

08-24-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyElectric View Post

For now, if you find any chance to travel there in the near future...grab it!
Hehe, well I have been studying basic Japanese every night and I am/should be going to Japan in 2012 if all goes well. Me and anywhere between 5-25 other people should be going to Japan, each staying with a different host family.

Quite a unique experience, so I hear.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-24-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastyzeus View Post
Cool, you stated "pretty intimidating after studying Japanese for just four years", are you fluent in Japanese now?

(Sure looks like it, 10,126 posts on a Japanese forum lol)

I am going to assume you have been/are still on the JET programme, if so for how many years did you stay on it?

Did you learn Japanese while on the program?

~~I feel a little rude asking so many questions :3
I hope you don't mind, thanks.
Please feel free to ask whatever you like.

If anyone non-Japanese tells you they are fluent in Japanese, take it with a grain of salt. I can communicate in Japanese, written and spoken, but I would not call myself fluent.

I was in the JET Program in the mid 90s for three years.

I learned more Japanese living there for three years than I did at University study for four years, but the foundation I got at University made it possible for me to really expand on my learning. I also lived in Kansai, which is has a terrific dialect that doesn't appear in any textbook in the US. It took me probably 6 months to a year to get accustomed to the dialect.

But no, I did not "study" Japanese while I was there, but I did learn it much better, to the point when I came back I was a teacher of Japanese for several years, and then went on to translation.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-24-2010, 07:32 AM

I think MMM's post about JET looking for people who can survive, if you know what I mean, in Japan for a few years.

Sometimes you see people really struggle for a year and can't wait to get home by the end of their stay, which I think is what they're trying to avoid.

What I've seen a lot of instead of JET is Inerac (i think that's how it's spelled). I've heard good and bad things about it but really don't know much about it. I think you should be very careful about choosing a company to work for in Japan.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-24-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyElectric View Post
The program has only been growing, so I imagine that in 5-7 years it will still be a strong establishment of cultural relations
I also must agree this is totally wrong, the program has been in its decline for the past few years, and I predicted it to be gone or something different in 5-7 years. I am not sure who told you this, but they have been misinformed.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-24-2010, 05:32 PM

Yup. JET is on the chopping block.
Save the JET Program - Sign the Petition | Change.org

If you want to find a job and pursue a career in Japan, you can't beat the IT field. With 2 - 3 years of experience and JLPT 2, you can find a ton of openings.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
tohruchan7 (Offline)
ur so cute no matter what

book?? - 08-24-2010, 05:40 PM

wow i just started reading this book for my english class and im pretty sure the author did this program so if you feel like reading here it is, it talks about his experience: Learning to Bow by Bruce Fieler
(#50 (permalink))
Old
Toastyzeus (Offline)
JF Regular

08-25-2010, 06:17 AM

Very cool, I hope my trips to Japan (In the future) Will also expand my knowledge of the language and the country

Maybe one day I will be able to communicate with you all in Japanese :3 hehe