LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-31-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It sounds like for you the problem is not that the American dramas are too realistic and gritty, but you are looking for something more uplifting, which your television stations are not programming.
Hmm, I guess. I will say my complaint has never been that American dramas are boring, like OP, and I haven't really been limiting this to just American TV. My crit. applies just as much to shows produced in the UK. Perhaps it's just that the light-hearted American TV we import tends to be sitcommy rubbish like Hope and Faith, and then we don't make much light-hearted uplifting drama either. Or at least nothing that isn't trying ~painfully~ hard to be funny and failing.

I'm pretty familiar with what's available on SKY (which offers 100s of channels) but its a lot like more of the same old stuff. My parents and my aunt has it, so there's more choice with things like film and documentaries, but even then the best produced dramas tend to be on the Beeb anyway.

I guess what I'm really trying to get at is I get jaded with the variety of shows available in the UK and Japanese shows, for all their faults, are at least ~different~. And I can at least usually pick out something that is actually thematically aimed at grown-ups which isn't having to resort to swearing, violence or sex to do so. Mostly I have to wait for a seasonal period drama to get that kind of thing on British TV.

Oh man, I'm 23 and turning into a Grumpy Old Woman aren't I? :P
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

08-31-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I think it depends what you like. I find American TV kinda cheesy sometimes - we get all the cheesy sitcoms. And chat shows, we get stuff like Sally and Ricky Lake (which I think is really old). And Judge Judy haha. (I like that show.) And then ours is like super depressing and gritty. That's why I think stuff like Dr Who does well, and more recently Sherlock (which is awesome IMO.)

I have a freeview box which basically has BBC, ITV, some news channels, a couple of music channels, re-run channels (my brothers are obessessed with Dave, they show basically Top Gear and comedy panel shows). Then there are the channels that I never look at, like the shopping channel.

The BBC in generally tends to be pretty good, IMO.
Sherlock <3 See, now that was good. I hope they do another run of that. I think the BBC, when it gets its act together, does some really stupendous stuff. Trouble is, for my taste it's pretty few and far between. I think you nailed it pointing out Dr. Who and Sherlock doing well, it's cause it's like highly savvy entertainment that can also be tea-time fun for all the family. I want more of that. And yeah, some of the gritty British dramas can be really, really well made. Just deeply depressing.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-01-2010, 12:53 PM

we have had marvellous American series in the past-- Dallas, other similar saga's plus "ROOTS" which was tremendous. "Rich Man poor MAN," book by Irwin shaw-- Centennial-- based on James A Michener novels. what a great writer he is/was.

No doubt that when America chooses they can produce fabulous series.

UK also produced superb sagas such as Upstairs Downstairs, the FORSYTE SAGA-- Many of our past authors wrote wonderful classic stories.

We don't get enough drama here now-- too many flaming cookery programmes.

also as mentioned by others, many American comdedy sitcoms etc are brilliant.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
09-01-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
we have had marvellous American series in the past-- Dallas, other similar saga's plus "ROOTS" which was tremendous. "Rich Man poor MAN," book by Irwin shaw-- Centennial-- based on James A Michener novels. what a great writer he is/was.

No doubt that when America chooses they can produce fabulous series.

UK also produced superb sagas such as Upstairs Downstairs, the FORSYTE SAGA-- Many of our past authors wrote wonderful classic stories.

We don't get enough drama here now-- too many flaming cookery programmes.

also as mentioned by others, many American comdedy sitcoms etc are brilliant.
Isn't Dallas the show that is notorious for explaining off one seasons as being the dream of one of the main characters? (The name is familiar but I'll admit I've never seen dallas or the show I"m talking about, which could be one in the same).

Also, I agree. My favorite TV shows right now are comedies and sitcoms. How I Met Your Mother is probably my favorite sitcom on air right now. As far as comedy in general, though, I've been a fan of the Colbert Report for years. I'm not sure how other people feel about that kind of punditry, but I like it.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-05-2010, 05:37 PM

I stopped watching American TV when "American Idol" appeared. Now all I watch is Japanese TV from the video store or downloaded of the web.

American made movies are still at the top.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
pumpum (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-05-2010, 11:55 PM

there are too many various shows too agree or disagree with the op. some shows are good some not in any country and then also it depends on personal taste.

There have been some really good tv series from america and some really good movies from asia.

Personally i would like to see like a a big brother type reality show where all contestants were boyband members who actually had to kill each other to survive and win, with the ending twist that the winner would also be executed live.

The things that come to those who wait are the things that are left by those who got there first !
(#27 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

09-06-2010, 03:56 AM

I don't watch too much TV . . .Compared to classics you could say it's degraded a little. However there are some good shows for anyone's taste . . .I have a handful of shows I don't mind watching.

If you don't comepletely shut out something before exploring all of it, you may find something you really like.

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
01-04-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
I feel that American TV shows, try too hard to be realistic, and this makes them boring. They take themselves way too seriously (of course note ALL shows), and this is the reason why I watch almost only Asian shows.

Does anyone here share my sentiments?
Definitely not me.

I think American TV shows are by far the best you can find out there, the main reason being that the best production companies are all in LA willing to take chances and go big. You watch any episode from any show produced in the US and it's like incredibly well shot. Take CSI for instace, it has such amazing cinematography. You guys can't even begin to imagine how many qualified people it takes for a show to look that great. And it takes money too. A lot. Like, I reckon it takes over $100000 for a CSI episode to be made. Not many companies can afford that. So that's how all the best directors and scriptwriters end up there. They know that's where their ideas and projects will make their way to the screen. Sorry but it's not even up to debate, best TV shows are the ones produced in America (or by American studio companies).

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#29 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

01-04-2011, 03:36 PM

well I am proud of many of our BBC programmes. especially the drama and nature plus documentaries.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post programmes - 01-05-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
well I am proud of many of our BBC programmes. especially the drama and nature plus documentaries.
They say, japanese NHK BS channels also provide very good nature programmes and documentaries.
As for british TV production, I was recently hooked on "Survivors". Waiting for the next season.