LinkBack Thread Tools
(#61 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

01-26-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Glad you liked it Real James. [...] without them there would be no moral compass.
Yeah I did like it a lot
Really looking forward to seeing sooky stop being extra baggage and start to pull her weight a little...

Speaking of the moral compass, that's the part that feels a little too preachy to me about most tv shows these days.
I wonder if a show with a different kind of morality would work, like where vampires are loyal or whatever to each other, and other such virtues or vices applied only to each other. As if humans were to them what cows are to us, we hardly apply our morality to cows. Well... as if humans were sexy cows that can fight back a little and stir the pot lol.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#62 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
01-26-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I think it would be hard to do the show without Bill, the vampire trying to be good, and Sookie, as without them there would be no moral compass.
Yeah I know, since they're the main plot generators. But they're annoying, so cheesy. Especially Bill. He's just... plain simple. He was much better off when he was killing people at random with that Lorena chick.

I wrote an hypothetical script for the first episode of Season 4, for my TV Fiction Writing class. It came out pretty good, surely better than anything Alan Ball came up with for the actual episode which is coming out sometime in June this year.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#63 (permalink))
Old
tohruchan7 (Offline)
ur so cute no matter what

01-26-2011, 09:09 PM

Ive Been Getting Bored With Televison For Over A Year Now. Its Irritating Whenever I Watch It Theirs Always Reruns.

HUMANS ARE COWARDS IN THE FACE OF HAPPINESS. IT TAKES COURAGE TO HOLD ONTO HAPPINESS.
(#64 (permalink))
Old
macki06 (Offline)
New to JF

01-26-2011, 09:10 PM

its nice to know that a lot of guys here, enjoy watching trueblood as well...
i got hooked up with the series from the first episode, and my first impression was, the social tension that they were faced with reminded me of mutants and humans fighting for their rights like in X-men.

but then, a few episodes into the series, humans selling V and preying on weak vampires were introduced, and the so, i thought it was an interesting addition to the morality issues.

and the season 2 finale, with the maenad and the cow was just pure awesome... i thought the lighting was perfect, was very dramatic.

and yeah, i agree,.. that louisiana vampire queen is just pure win... when she said, she was gonna make eric's fangs for necklace, was just too cool.

Bing Bang theory... sheldon cooper's character is just genius... i meant, the idea behind him being one and a little crazy.
(#65 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-26-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
Yeah I did like it a lot
Really looking forward to seeing sooky stop being extra baggage and start to pull her weight a little...

Speaking of the moral compass, that's the part that feels a little too preachy to me about most tv shows these days.
I wonder if a show with a different kind of morality would work, like where vampires are loyal or whatever to each other, and other such virtues or vices applied only to each other. As if humans were to them what cows are to us, we hardly apply our morality to cows. Well... as if humans were sexy cows that can fight back a little and stir the pot lol.
I think it is hard to argue that True Blood is preachy in any way. All shows have a moral compass, whether it is Sesame Street or Jersey Shore. It is where that compass lies that will determine who watches it. It is interesting you would say American TV is too preachy now, meaning the moral compass is set too high, as most complaints I hear in the media are saying the opposite.

Generally for a show to work, there has to be a character the audience can relate to. On True Blood it starts as Sookie, and eventually Bill is as well. On Arrested Development it is Michael. On Seinfeld it is Jerry. For me, there is no one on Jersey Shore I can relate to, therefore it isn't something I enjoy watching. For me, the moral compass of that show is set too low for me to enjoy it. Does that make sense.
(#66 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

01-27-2011, 03:39 AM

Quote:
For me, the moral compass of that show is set too low for me to enjoy it. Does that make sense.
That makes a lot of sense.
To be honest I haven't seen a show like the one I ask for (or Jersey Shore) so I can't really say if it would work for me either. But I do get irritated at times with the moral compass getting in the way of the realism and practicality of the character's motives, which makes me think I'd enjoy a show more if there were less of that.

I say it's too preachy because I often find myself saying "Who would do that?? Anyone who had just been through that would let that fucker die!". It's like morality supersedes character authenticity otherwise the fcc will shit on your head.

The other thing that I could go with less of is product placement, but True Blood is great for having very little of it, and unlike morality I do consider product placement to be a necessary evil, if I dare call morality evil lol.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#67 (permalink))
Old
Aquiella (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Aquiella Send a message via Skype™ to Aquiella
02-21-2011, 02:41 AM

I think I see what he means... Not much on TV anymore that is particularly interesting. I'd have to agree with that. I rarely watch tv anymore, (and I have cable) simply because it's hard to find anything that'll hold my intetest for very long. Even the kids shows and cartoons are either raunchy or dumbed down. Not much is clever comedy anymore, just bathroom humor. There are a few shows here and there that are good, but overall, it's crap; in my opinion.

I mostly watch anime on the web or play videogames. My brother is the one who searches out the good stuff, as he and I have simmilar tastes. I only have cable because my mom and sister enjoy it.

I think what he means is that anime and stuff come from japan and air on japanese television, so it's more likely to have lots of interesting programming.

~Aqua

If you'd like to add me in a messenger program, make sure to tell me who you are and where I'd know you from!
---
"If you can't take a joke, put a piece of duct tape over your mouth and keep your hands away from the keyboard." -Jateshi on DeviantArt.com
---
I Have a Tardis
(#68 (permalink))
Old
Rinai (Offline)
JF Regular

02-21-2011, 04:51 AM

Oh god. I love Jersey Shore, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, Sex and the City, Degrassi, Desperate Housewives, Chealsy Lately, Housewives of New Jersey ect. But seriously. This channel's been showing Jennifer Lopez movies all day. Usually Sundays are the worst day for me to get on the T.V. when I can... which is usually the only day I can. So I stopped watching T.V. for a long while. Getting back to that though. I really like watching the British channel. I like my Doctor Who and British Law & Order.

*plooka plooka*

Rin no talk. 私の一番な色は何ですか。「Day--」 黒沼爽子と翔太くん。いつでも/もじもじ-- 30