JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

japanese schools - 09-01-2010, 02:22 PM

Discipline in schools is not a bad thing | The Japan Times Online

about discipline in schools. Is this JAPAN? I thought the schools were very strict?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

09-01-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Discipline in schools is not a bad thing | The Japan Times Online

about discipline in schools. Is this JAPAN? I thought the schools were very strict?
Depends on the school, the area, the kids, the subject and the teachers. I've heard some JETS describe this very scenario. I've heard others say they've seen kids being exceptionally rude and then get a whallop for their trouble. I've heard others where the kids generally behave well. Mostly it's somewhere in the middle; a few bad eggs and a bunch of ordinary kids who might be good as gold one day and then maybe forget themselves another. The article is pretty much centered on English classes, so who knows, maybe it's just the way English is taught that means they particularly act up in those lessons. Other subjects may be handled differently. Certainly in the UK i've seen a Year 9 class be perfectly OK throughout a whole day of classes, right up until music class, where they hated the curriculum and loathed the teacher (who had no control) and so transformed into foul little monsters accordingly.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

09-01-2010, 03:45 PM

wow...that text was ..lets say powerfull.
so its not allowed to send out a child if hes disturbing? how about simply putting in journal F for a "leassons work"...after some 3 F's he should shut up, dont you think?

for us teachers simply said "if you dont feel like learning, simply walk out. i wont put any bad grades, simply show up for exams." thats it - and it worked...sometimes we acutally said that "yea. we will probably go, we know this material that you are teaching today so in order not to get bored and mess with others we are leaving" and simply went outside.

best thing was that there were not any cases of skipping all the leasons because after few tries they uderstood that they are falling behind fast.

P.S music..yea we also lost our minds when we had it...sooo boring. we were mosnters at music leassons. at one time our teacher actually announced war against our class....yeap. and we just kept loughing..horrible
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Qayin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-01-2010, 06:29 PM

It's like in my country 10 years ago.

One day the govt' said "You can't hit your students!" (To hit students with a stick is a norm in Thailand for a long time) then, you guess it right? Students become spoil brats (inc. me) because "no one can hit me, and I don't care about attitude score so why should I hand in my homework hahahaha."

You know sometimes especially some brats, to scold them is not enough (sometime to hit them still not enough!)

Oh my! please don't bring children rights issue without invent new effective punnishment system. That just increase the number of idiots in the society
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-02-2010, 12:30 AM

First - the Yutori system of education fell out of favor (for these reasons) and is being phased out. This guy is getting the tail end of it. They are already in the process of figuring out a different approach.

Second - the peer regulation system works surprisingly well in the end, you just need to know how to get the system up and running.

Third - English class (particularly conversation) tends to be THE class to blow off and act up in. This is usually because no matter what you do or say, chances are the teacher won`t understand it and just kind of smile and ignore you.

Teachers are indeed free to scold their students (there is no policy against it but if a teacher is afraid of parental complaints they may not choose to do so.) They`re also free to come up with disciplinary plans. If a teacher doesn`t do this, it`s due to their own shortcomings and laziness.
The most effective systems I have seen involved a cool teacher who didn`t act angry, but who would punish the entire class for the misbehavior of one student. Sure, you can keep acting like an idiot. Here, let`s have a round of applause for (name) who has earned all of you an extra page of test next week.

Peer glares work much better than scolding.

Quote:
I have calmly rubbed off the obscenities written on the board while students laugh and shout "I hate English!"
You missed out on a serious teaching chance there, sir. I know the guy who wrote the article will never read this, but think how cool he would have looked if he`d turned that into a lesson.

In general I would say that students are well behaved. I think it`s particularly true if you have been in a classroom outside of Japan - I have noticed there are a LOT more complaints about dealing with students from people with no prior teaching experience... And far more about curriculum from those who do have the experience.

As for the great rosy glasses people see their own pasts and educations through - I am willing to bet that one time so-and-so was hilarious in class and you couldn`t stop laughing was a sheer hell for whoever was teaching. You just don`t remember it as such.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-02-2010, 12:27 PM

I was in many different schools in UK as a child-- children can always suss out a weak teacher-- and can be extremely cruel to them--

There used to be caning in UK-- or the Belt in scotland and I believe Public Schools were extremely strict--

I hear nowadays that so many teachers are unhappy by the modern system, no real discipline allowed-- which is silly-- all children need to know their boundaries--.

A good teacher usually inspires their pupils and the children respond with respect.

I had been under the impression that Japanese Schools had discipline and

were enthusiastic pupils.

I suppose if the writer of the article was teaching English-- that Nyrorin is so right--- If they could not understand what he/she was saying they would most likely play up.

I believe good teachers are born rather than made.