JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-10-2010, 12:26 PM

Basically, here in Japan, if you're a gaijin then you're American until proven otherwise. That's a Japanese generalization, not a western one.

really? So what must they make of others. maybe we are all from another planet entirely?

I wonder why my Japanese friend longs to stay here in UK? if we were anti Japanese-- would she be welcome and still wish to stay.

Generalisation is Not good-- and sadly too many of us have the wrong information or knowledge about other nationalities.

why do so many immigrants wish to come here?

I used to hate the Japanese because of the terrible atrocities during the war.

It took getting to know individuals that has altered my perceptions and that is why I have been doing a lot of research-- but I know that unless I actually Lived in Japan-- I will never know what its like to be gaiijin or foreigner there.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-10-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
The Japanese tolerate us, just like anywhere else you have a minority who doesn't speak the native tongue of the country they reside in.

With that said, I tend to get dismissed by other gaijin more than I do Japanese. I've had it all from the Japanese; weird stares, ignoring me, or just plain being nice and striking up a conversation with me.When it comes to other foreigners, however, 9/10 times they'll give you an evil glare as if they're the only gaijin that are allowed to be in Japan and you're ruining their uniqueness.

This has just been my experience living in Tokyo so far.

Yes but How Long have you been there? Two weeks?

Here it depends if one lives in a village or large town or even a City. In the Cities one expects to see many people from global countries.

I suspect that anyone who maybe dresses differenty will get looked at whereever they are.

I wonder if you were staying in a village etc that things would be different.

Also any clubs you may frequent?

when I was young I never saw anyone from another land. even black people were a novelty-- but now we are more multi cultured-- and I love it.

Religion is usually the biggest obstacle.

Anyway-- do enjoy your time in JAPAN and Do what you are there for?

Working there must be different from being a student I should imagine.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
PumaMan (Offline)
New to JF

09-10-2010, 02:23 PM

Thank you all for your responses.

I spent a year in Switzerland for my job and living and working there was quite a bit different than being a tourist for a week or so. Now, Switzerland loves for foreigners to come there and retire, ie. spend money and not work. Working in Switzerland is another story and a tough sell -- the laws there make sure that the job you are going to do cannot be done by (available) Swiss people.

I also believe that learning the native language is the number one priority for living and/or working in a foreign country.

Last edited by PumaMan : 09-10-2010 at 02:26 PM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

09-10-2010, 04:44 PM

I take exception to you saying my post was a troll post--

Don't bash America for no reason and I won't call you a troll.

You know there are other people in the world apart from Americans.

Well yeah, I'm in another country if that means anything.

Maybe Americans think they are better than anyone else-- I take people individually

That's a generalization. No one ever said this in this thread. Are you insecure?

Please do not generalise about us and I'll try not to generalise about You.

I haven't said a single thing about the UK. You called Americans war mongerers, which we're all not, and accused us of occupation.

You cannot always believe everything you read and hear about us.

Once again I never said anything about England.

No doubt as you are now living in Japan you will become a fountain of knowledge about everything Japanese.

That would be cool.

I know this thread was about Americans living in Japan but what about Others from other natiions. Surely Japan wishes to do global business and no doubt many from the UK Buy Japanese goods. so surely it is worthwhile trying to get to know other nationalities.

I don't get why you're so insecure about this. Someone just said "What's it like for an American?" This thread could just as easily be useful to anyone from the west, but I don't think it's too outlandish to say that there are actually some topics that differ between the UK and America that could merit a different response depending on where you're from. If you care that badly, start a "What's it like for a UK person in Japan?" thread.

Working there must be different from being a student I should imagine.

Not really. I have a job here as well as go to school. All I had to do was get a work permit.

Really? So what must they make of others. maybe we are all from another planet entirely?

No, just until they ask where you're from. Even without speaking I've had people ask me here if I was from America, where I could just as easily be Canadian or English.

Please do not call me a troll again-- I object very strongly.

Don't insult another country for no reason and you won't be called a troll.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-10-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70
The thing is that whereever we go-- we need to try to fit in with the ways and culture of that country--not expect the country to change for US.
This is something that a LOT of foreigners in Japan need to realize - It is extremely popular to want everyone to do things the way they like it, as it was done in their country... Without realizing that their way is familiar, but familiarity doesn`t necessarily make it a better way.

Quote:
The AMerican Occupation must have had an impact-- and the American military presence?
The occupation was long enough ago that I don`t really believe it has any impact on people now. The American military presence is confined to bases in very specific areas - most certainly not all over Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
Basically, here in Japan, if you're a gaijin then you're American until proven otherwise. That's a Japanese generalization, not a western one.
I don`t find this the case at all. In fact, even though I am originally from America - I can`t really think of anyone who has assumed that I was. Most everyone asks politely where I am from. In fact, the only place I have had people assume I might be from is Brazil. (Has happened a couple times, but is a mystery as I don`t think I look particularly like I am from there...)
Other foreigners though tend to assume that you`re from the same place as they are, and if you`re not can be quite unfriendly.

Quote:
It will always remain difficult to assimilate in Japan because of the language and cultural differences.
If those were the reasons, it would be fairly easy to assimilate. You can have absolutely no problems with culture and speak the language perfectly but still be unable to assimilate. Appearances and the (most often true) stereotypes about language and culture build a wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70
I know this thread was about Americans living in Japan but what about Others from other natiions. Surely Japan wishes to do global business and no doubt many from the UK Buy Japanese goods. so surely it is worthwhile trying to get to know other nationalities.
Japan is not nearly as unaware of other nations as WingsToDiscovery has painted it. In terms of general knowledge about the world and other countries, I would definitely say that the base level of knowledge is above that in the US for example. People often say that everyone in Japan assumes foreigners are American, but that simply has not been my experience over 10+ years of living here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery
I haven't said a single thing about the UK. You called Americans war mongerers, which we're all not, and accused us of occupation.
Where was this said? The only mention of occupation in this thread is a valid one, as the US DID occupy Japan for some time after WWII.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-10-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
The occupation was long enough ago that I don`t really believe it has any impact on people now. The American military presence is confined to bases in very specific areas - most certainly not all over Japan.
I said something about the American occupation in another thread so I want to chip in on this. It was purely in a context of a political discussion, and I agree with Nyororin. I don't think people have a beef on it today unless maybe they are like 80 years old.

Also, people assume you are an American because the majority of non-Asian looking people are American in Japan. So, sorry if it annoys you but please give them a break.

Last edited by cranks : 09-10-2010 at 06:13 PM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

09-10-2010, 06:27 PM

come on. a*hole turists or foregin residents are everyware.
we have lots of guys here from the uk who come to pick up girls. some of them thought it would be fun to "piss on our monument of freedom" and now most of us think they are all pricks when the truth is (at least when i was in nottingham) they are nice people.
on the other hand there are also lots of a*holes from our country who go to uk or other places and act like jerks.

but when it comes to general thinking then the worst are russin turist. specially in warm climat zones - egypt, turkey.. when i was there you can immedeatly tell them apart by the way they act. just damn - like, they have absolutley no idea what it means NOT to be in the center of the world.

P.S i actually like that everything is different and the pople act differently. thats usually, i think, why people visit the place.

P.P.S japanese still hold grude against americans? for example i love germans tourists despite some things that happened... - specially old folks who come sight seeing and simply end up in the bar having talks like for 10 hours straight. they must be best tourists to have and fun to talk.

Last edited by evanny : 09-10-2010 at 06:30 PM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-10-2010, 08:45 PM

"The AMerican Occupation must have had an impact-- and the American military presence? "

Dogsbody wrote the above:

"The occupation was long enough ago that I don`t really believe it has any impact on people now. The American military presence is confined to bases in very specific areas - most certainly not all over Japan." NYRORIN.

Surely the Occupation did have a huge effect on Japan and the japanese.

some may forget it-- but I imagine there are many descendents of the armed forces and Japanese women from that time and as OKINAWA seem to have to bear with an ongoing military presence that must also have an effect.

somewhere on this thread someone mentioned that there are many children born/ American/ Japanese---

Someone also mentioned the special relationship between America and Japan.

America won the war so the American influence must have had strong repercussions and many changes than pre war when the soldiers etc were willing to die for their Emperor.

I am in my seventies but memories can last. THe younger generation may not understand the result of ww2.

I also strongly feel that history should never be forgotten because how else to avoid the same thing happening over and over.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 09-10-2010 at 08:59 PM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-10-2010, 08:55 PM

excuse me-- I did not accuse Americans of being war mongers. I mentioned the Occupation at the end of WW2 and all the changes that were made. Plus the military presence in Onkinawa

I think maybe you need to do some research on the history of the war.

I was a child then---------in UK.

you cast aspersions on the UK-- not all of us are racists and NOT all make fools of themselves in other countries. I personally despise any of those who do and give a bad name to Britain

So Wings-- what are your plans to stay in Japan? I hope you have a wonderful time.

Considering many Europeans are White-- why on earth should the Japanese think they are automatically American?

We in UK are allies of America.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-10-2010, 09:12 PM

I don't want to start a war on this but I did feel to ask the question was limiting the thread to just the AMERICAN point of view.

I took exception to that question. Insecure-- At my age not at all-- .

I think a better question would be for any foreigner living or working in JAPAN would have been appropriate because this forum does have many AMERICANS on it-- but also it is global.

No doubt there are many Americans in JAPAn after all the military presence in OKINAWA or elsewhere.

Maybe there are more work opportunities for AMericans as I believe you don't need a visa like we would have to obtain.

SO maybe its not such a big deal or difficulty for Americans relationship with JAPAN-- but what about the rest of us? Hence possibly a large American presence? Yes I could ask about UK presence inJAPAN but far better to cover everyone who lives or works there.