(#131 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
09-16-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuchimu View Post
I'm not an American living in Japan - I'm Japanese living in America, but I've seen enough of the former to say the answer depends on the person.

Some Americans are going to have a great time while some are going to regret their stay.

Knowing both cultures pretty well, My word of advice to an American going to Japan is:
1) Learn as much as possible about manners and etiquette. Manners are important in Japan and are different from U.S.

2) Learn to read the atmosphere and brush up on your social graces. It's impossible to read and remember every dos and don'ts from a book, so good people skills helps smooth things over.

3) Japan is a group oriented country rather than an individual oriented country. Make good presentable Japanese friends, specially of the same sex as yourself. From everything to getting a job or finding an apartment, not only can they help you by word of mouth, but they give you credibility.

These three things should help you the most into integrating into Japanese society and start opening up doors for you.

Final not: If your going to Japan for the girls, then leave the average girl alone. you'll just add to the bad foreigner gossip and hardly score anyway. The Japanese girls that want foreign guys go out of there way to seek them out; military bars, sports bars etc... where foreign guys hang out, that's' where they go. The ones I saw at the Nagasaki Navel base bar were very pretty but they didn't want to have anything to do with me since I'm Japanese.
One of the best post and directly informative ones iv read in a while. I think this alone will help those who seek to not just to visit Japan but perhaps reside there.

Too bad my Japanese social etiquette and manners are better than my verbal skills lol. Still working on that.

(#132 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-17-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Too bad my Japanese social etiquette and manners are better than my verbal skills lol. Still working on that.
I'd argue that is a very good thing. It's better to have an understanding of etiquette and manners and those kinds of things before you open your mouth.

That first post by chiuchimu was a good one for sure... I think it's been overlooked in favor about this conversation about clothing, which to be honest is not nearly as important as the contents of that first post.