JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
PumaMan (Offline)
New to JF

What's it like for an American to live in Japan? - 09-09-2010, 07:40 PM

Just curious how an American living in Japan is viewed by the general populace. Maybe it's an almost impossible thing to know since I'm sure Japan could be as varied culturally as different parts of the US. But if anyone has some personal experience with living in Japan, I'd like to hear it. I'm not that interested in vacations or other short tourist-like trips -- more interested in those that live and work there. Or those that are retired there.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-09-2010, 10:40 PM

It depends on what kind of American you are. Japan's image of America is blond hair, blue eyes, and really white. If you are Asian-American, you are Asian (and maybe even Japanese on first sight) and will be treated differently. Basically, if you aren't white then you're not American until you explain to them that you are American. Likewise, if you are white, you might be considered American (even though there are white people all over the place). This is why it always helps to know Japanese-- if you can explain this stuff then they will usually understand.

As far as how 'Americans' are viewed, I think in general Japanese people like Americans a lot. Some people have different reasons than others. Personally I'm really into music, so the people I end up talking to seem to be into America for the music. Older people like older music (like bluegrass and stuff like that) and the Beatles (even though they're not American) and younger people might like newer music like Coldplay or whatever.

Where I live, agriculture is huge, so if you talk to really old people you sometimes run into guys who went to America to study about farming, and brought back some of their impressions of America back then. So they have memories of really nice and polite families from back in the fifties... something that has probably changed about America.

Other people might just like America because they like whatever American culture is in Japan-- it's kind of like people who like Anime/Manga in America I would think. Like maybe they watch 24 or full house and just like the 'foreigner lifestyle' and way of speaking and all that. It's kind of vague to me, but there seem to be a lot of people like that.

I'm not so sure about people retiring in Japan. I remember MMM (a moderator here) said that in order to live here you usually have to work here.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-10-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaMan View Post
Maybe it's an almost impossible thing to know since I'm sure Japan could be as varied culturally as different parts of the US.
This couldn't be much further from the truth. Japan is one of the most racially and culturally homogenous countries on the planet. The whole concept of multiculturalism is basically unknown here. Not saying that's a bad thing it's just how it is.

I live in an area though where there has been a significant inlux of foreigners over the last 10 years from numerous countries but mainly Australia, Canada, New Zealand, US and UK. The ski resort we live at has seen a property development boom which saw our region have the highest rates of increases to housing prices in all of Japan (by a long way). Which is quite a feat for a rural area of Hokkaido where in general the economy is going backwards. It is also one of the few rural areas in Japan where the number of jobs have steadily increased.

There has been 100's of millions of dollars invested into the region, mainly from foreign individuals and companies and there has been a reasonable amount of resentment from some locals. No more than I would expect in any country though where a whole lot of foreigners came in and bought up the place. Most of the locals appear to be pretty happy though as the influx of foreign investment has meant growing opportunities for them as well. Also many Japanese had been hanging on here in businesses that were barely breaking even and owning property that they wouldn't have been able to sell for more than what they bought them for back in the boom years. This recent boom allowed many to sell up and realise profits that they could only have dreamed about if not for the foreign led boom to property prices.

This area is somewhat unique in Japan in my opinion and an interesting experiment in multiculturalism that has been working pretty well so far. The majority of foreigners here have nothing to do with english teaching and have bought property and settled in for the long haul, if not forever. Many are married to Japanese nationals and there's been one hell of a baby boom over the last few years. The Japanese media are often here up here documenting the phenomena which is Niseko. Will be interesting to see how it all evolves over the years.

Last edited by GoNative : 09-10-2010 at 06:18 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

09-10-2010, 06:16 AM

The Japanese tolerate us, just like anywhere else you have a minority who doesn't speak the native tongue of the country they reside in.

With that said, I tend to get dismissed by other gaijin more than I do Japanese. I've had it all from the Japanese; weird stares, ignoring me, or just plain being nice and striking up a conversation with me.When it comes to other foreigners, however, 9/10 times they'll give you an evil glare as if they're the only gaijin that are allowed to be in Japan and you're ruining their uniqueness.

This has just been my experience living in Tokyo so far.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#5 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

09-10-2010, 06:22 AM

Must be a big city attitude. Or just people thinking their cool for not acknowleging other gaijin or something. Up around these parts everyone always gives you at least a nod or a wave. But then just about all of us know each other or see each on a regular basis. There's only a few hundred of us who live here permanently.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-10-2010, 08:41 AM

what about non-americans? surely there are people from Europe and around the world who also live there?

Here in UK we have had to get used to seeing many people from around the world--generally we accept except for those who are racist.

I think its great to have people from around the world--

Travel is easier than it used to be. surely Japan willeventually accept gaiijin if they want good relationships globally.

The thing is that whereever we go-- we need to try to fit in with the ways and culture of that country--not expect the country to change for US.

The AMerican Occupation must have had an impact-- and the American military presence?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-10-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
.When it comes to other foreigners, however, 9/10 times they'll give you an evil glare as if they're the only gaijin that are allowed to be in Japan and you're ruining their uniqueness.

This has just been my experience living in Tokyo so far.
I tend to ignore other foreigners - mainly because 9 times out of 10 they are doing something I do not want to be connected with. ie. Speaking loudly in English, acting like a total idiot, talking dirty to their Eikaiwa school girlfriend, etc.

Long term foreigners in Japan who don`t really do that type of thing tend to be very nasty to me if for some reason we do talk. Speaking Japanese well and not pulling the "I`m foreign so treat me better than everyone else because of cultural differences!" card at every turn apparently really makes some of them angry.

There are exceptions, of course, but it seems like the majority of foreigners in Japan for longer than a vacation either a) See it as a playground where they can get drunk and pick up girls or b) Hate it with a passion and make sure that everyone around them knows. Normal people leading normal lives are a real rarity.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

09-10-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I tend to ignore other foreigners - mainly because 9 times out of 10 they are doing something I do not want to be connected with. ie. Speaking loudly in English, acting like a total idiot, talking dirty to their Eikaiwa school girlfriend, etc.

Long term foreigners in Japan who don`t really do that type of thing tend to be very nasty to me if for some reason we do talk. Speaking Japanese well and not pulling the "I`m foreign so treat me better than everyone else because of cultural differences!" card at every turn apparently really makes some of them angry.

There are exceptions, of course, but it seems like the majority of foreigners in Japan for longer than a vacation either a) See it as a playground where they can get drunk and pick up girls or b) Hate it with a passion and make sure that everyone around them knows. Normal people leading normal lives are a real rarity.
I agree with keeping the distance from obnoxious foreigners. I just keep bumping into people with the holier-than-thou attitude here.

You're right about the two caricatures as well. I don't understand how disgruntled people here can get along in Japan. I'm not someone who says things like "Well if you hate this country then why don't you leave??" because there are honestly a lot of things that aren't that great here, but that doesn't mean I go and bash the entire country whenever I can. That's like a past time for foreigners here; bash Japan with other foreigners.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

09-10-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
what about non-americans? surely there are people from Europe and around the world who also live there?

Here in UK we have had to get used to seeing many people from around the world--generally we accept except for those who are racist.

I think its great to have people from around the world--

Travel is easier than it used to be. surely Japan willeventually accept gaiijin if they want good relationships globally.

The thing is that whereever we go-- we need to try to fit in with the ways and culture of that country--not expect the country to change for US.

The AMerican Occupation must have had an impact-- and the American military presence?
I don't know if this is a troll post or not, but I'll have a go.

Basically, here in Japan, if you're a gaijin then you're American until proven otherwise. That's a Japanese generalization, not a western one.

Going to Japan as a foreigner is not like a Brit going to America or and American going to England. In these cases, you can get along fine besides an accent and a different measurement system. It will always remain difficult to assimilate in Japan because of the language and cultural differences.

And I don't know what the military has to do with not sharing a common language or cultural beliefs.

You say that in the UK you accept everyone yet your intolerance and ignorance say otherwise.

(#10 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-10-2010, 12:15 PM

I take exception to you saying my post was a troll post--

I personally accept people from around the world into my country.

too many immigrants IS causing problems because we are such a small country and it causes many problems having to deal with too many immigrants.

Youknow there are other people in the world apart from Americans.

Maybe Americans think they are better than anyone else-- I take people individually-- I love to meet many people regardless of race etc. people are individuals-- some are decent-- some are not.

Please do not generalise about us and I'll try not to generalise about You.

you cannot always believe everything you read and hear about us.

I have not been to Japan-- I only know a few japanese personally and of those I am very fond.

No doubt as you are now living in Japan you will become a fountain of knowledge about everything Japanese.

I respect Nyrororin because she lives in Japan and is married to a Japanese and she tells how it is,

I know this thread was about Americans living in Japan but what about Others from other natiions. Surely Japan wishes to do global business and no doubt many from the UK Buy Japanese goods. so surely it is worthwhile trying to get to know other nationalities.

Please do not call me a troll again-- I object very strongly.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 09-10-2010 at 12:18 PM.