JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Tell me how great japanese train is (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/34038-tell-me-how-great-japanese-train.html)

mariko0721 09-27-2010 05:46 AM

Tell me how great japanese train is

hello.
I am japanese who live in USA.

I think japanese transportation (train) is greater than other world.
Don't you think so??

I have some opinion from foreigner.

WingsToDiscovery 09-27-2010 06:07 AM

It's prompt and it's clean, but that's about it.
I've already had three suicide delays and one emergency break slam due to inclement weather and it's only been a little over a month.
It's also uncomfortably packed in the mornings.
Nothing to put on a pedestal.

MMM 09-27-2010 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariko0721 (Post 830654)
I think japanese transportation (train) is greater than other world.
Don't you think so??

What other world?

Qayin 09-27-2010 03:35 PM

I think he means "other countries" or something like that.

I tried the normal train once or twice, and they're fantastic. It's very clean, and the passengers is very disciplined. Very fantastic. It made me feel like <haha, I'm a babarian from "the other world">.

JohnBraden 09-27-2010 04:35 PM

Compared to the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority), the Yamanote line is vastly superior. At least the trains run on time, they are ample and clean, and I don't remember hearing the conductor speak like he/she was at a bar. Our trains are littered, full of unpleasant people who constantly bug you and are constantly speeding up and slowing down because the conductor doesn't know how to keep a pace to save his/her life....

x2cool 09-27-2010 05:12 PM

I have never taken a train before, except for the subway. And to me it doesn't seem that bad. We don't really have trains here in LA, sure sometimes you get bothered by people asking for money or people star at you funny, but I would rather go through those small inconveniences than have to go through this... YouTube - Japanese train station during rush hour

JohnBraden 09-27-2010 06:57 PM

The smart thing to do when navigating large stations in Tokyo is to go there off-peak hours! At least tourists can afford that! If you have to work, then my sympathies. I had no problem walking Shinjuku station.... YouTube - Shinjuku Station

Qayin 09-27-2010 07:15 PM

Yeah, at non-rush hour, you can even sit anywhere you want.

Just avoid the train and the expressway in rush hour.

MMM 09-27-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x2cool (Post 830718)
I have never taken a train before, except for the subway. And to me it doesn't seem that bad. We don't really have trains here in LA, sure sometimes you get bothered by people asking for money or people star at you funny, but I would rather go through those small inconveniences than have to go through this... YouTube - Japanese train station during rush hour

No one will ever ask you for money on a train in Japan.

And these "train stuffing" videos were made only at certain stations in Tokyo, and during rush hour. Twenty minutes later it is completely fine.

Nyororin 09-28-2010 12:16 AM

The train pushers are literally at only a couple stations for less than an hour. I would even go so far as to say that they`re possibly better known outside Japan than in.
Japanese people who do not ride that train offer the same type of cringing and shocked reactions as people outside Japan do when seeing videos of it.

Even on some of the more crowded looking trains, they could alleviate part of the problem if more people would actually move away from the doors if they`re not getting off for several stations. About half the time, you can find a relatively non-crushed spot if you fight through all the people packed around the door and stand in the aisle. Of course then you have to fight back through them to get off, but if you`re travelling to a station beyond the one where most of them get off it`s worth it.
But people stupidly linger by the door making it nearly impossible to get on (this happens even if there are seats open and the aisle is completely empty) because... people are standing by the doors. The thinking tends to be that "If I don`t stand by the door I might not be able to make it off at my station because of all those people standing by the door!"... So the problem is born.