JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

Your Favorite Period in Japanese History - 10-01-2010, 05:21 AM

What is your favorite period (era) in Japanese history and why?

Mine would be Showa (1926-1989). To me, it's the most dynamic era in terms of economic, social, technological and cultural changes and advancement. We went from literally the ruins of WW2 in 1945 to most of what we have now in only a few decades, and that is just beyond imagination even when I myself witnessed first-hand the last half of the Showa era and all of the currect Heisei era (1989 - present).
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

Send a message via Skype™ to MuRaSaKiiNkI
10-01-2010, 06:16 AM

I like the 昭和時代 (Showa Era) also, for mainly the same reasons, but it's also tied with the Heian Era (794-1185) 平安時代, literally meaning "peaceful era."

I like the Heian Period because many of the Japanese arts (literature, theatre, and painting) flourished during this time, and the country was relatively tranquil (the war and bloodshed happening afterward during Feudal Japan). I think of this era like the European Renaissance, many aristocrats and "high art." Buddhism gained increasing dominance, and the rise of the samurai class also began in this period. The only thing I don't like about this period is, like feudal Britain, only a few people out of thousands had any money...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-01-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuRaSaKiiNkI View Post
The only thing I don't like about this period is, like feudal Britain, only a few people out of thousands had any money...
Not much different in modern Japan to be honest!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Qayin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-05-2010, 05:58 AM

I like almost the same as you, but for me it's 1945-1995. I love it because it's very fantastic that the Japanese can repair their country and become one of the top economic country in just a short time.

I love Japanese cars of that time period too, especially around 1975-1994, those cars are affordable, reliable and very solid. I still drive my 6 gen Mitsubishi Galant, and wow it's still better than many brand new cars nowaday.

Japanese economic miracle is what I love about Japan. Japanese cars rule!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-05-2010, 05:57 PM

For me it's a toss up between the Heian era and the Meiji era. For me the literature and culture of the Heian era are pretty interesting; it's also one of the few I really feel I know anything about having struggled through The Tale of Genji. I think in a world context Meiji-era Japan is quite unusual. I mean you go from this long, long period of closed 'feudalism' to this really intense period of just 44 years where virtually everything completely changes; sudden booms in international economic status, technology, just this crazy race to change Japan and the clash of titans between the remnants of Tokugawa's Japan and the reformation-ists. Turbulent stuff.

Although having said all that, haniwa from the kofun era never fail to make me smile.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
wawaza (Offline)
New to JF

The Jomon period - 12-13-2010, 05:02 AM

I especially like the funky Dogu sculptures from the neolithic Jomon period.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27E - Dogu Heart Shaped Head - 2.jpg (125.0 KB, 16 views)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

12-13-2010, 05:33 AM

The current period is my favorite period, social wealth and and an increasing contrast between old and new. Artistic developments and appreciation are thriving, I love it.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

12-13-2010, 09:46 AM

Meiji to present and Sengoku jidai are the most interesting to me from a historical perspective.

Jomon jidai up untill Heian jidai from an anthropological/archaelogical perspective.