JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
KungMartin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Korean/Japanese B-boying or popping?? - 10-16-2010, 01:58 AM

Bboying is cool (got a lot of korean friends who do this), but I personally prefer popping. Also this guy Hojin rocks at popping. Check this vid (u have to forward a little cuz there's another guy before him, hojin enters about 1:40):

YouTube - Hojin vs Zero

4:10 - 5:00, crazy!! (esp 4:35-4:38)

He's crazy good in this video too

YouTube - Korea Poppin Session III - CrazyKyo vs Hojin

Any of u guys have any good bboyer or popper??

pz ! <3

Last edited by KungMartin : 10-16-2010 at 02:18 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
10-16-2010, 04:32 AM

I b-boy a little, or at least, I used to. I seem to have run outta motivation and time. I think there were a few of other ex-members who had the same dancing interests. Like Vesperd, but he's gone now.

You have a video of yourself b-boying? =D

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KungMartin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-16-2010, 10:01 AM

^no=/ I don't bboy. Only got friends who are bboyers

pz ! <3
(#4 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)

10-16-2010, 10:56 AM

What about a popping or locking video you may have? And I'm curious, are there any distinctive features of Japanese or Korean hip-hopping?

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KungMartin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-16-2010, 12:43 PM

^What do u mean? Between Korean and Japanese, or between Korean/Japanese and like western world??

pz ! <3
(#6 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)

10-16-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungMartin View Post
^What do u mean? Between Korean and Japanese, or between Korean/Japanese and like western world??
Neither. I meant individually, between each and every style: Korean VS. Japanese VS. others.

Last edited by CoolNard : 10-16-2010 at 03:35 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
KungMartin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-16-2010, 07:20 PM

Well usually Koreans are generally better dancers than Japanese, don't rly know why. That's how I personally precieve it.

Compared to western poppers (if u watched the videos I posted) I think Hojin blows them out of the water

I mean, compare the Korean dancers in my video to these japanese poppers:

YouTube - U-Min (Japanese poppers)

I know that's more robot style, but compare that to the Korean poppers and they got so much more flow if u get what I mean. Especially Hojin, he's fucking intense

pz ! <3

Last edited by KungMartin : 10-16-2010 at 07:35 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

10-17-2010, 01:21 AM

There's a very big dance scene in Shinjuku. Mainly on the weekends, dancers of all different styles hit up this one office building courtyard that's only a couple minute walk from the station. Crews practice their routines and individuals work on techniques. Many people pull all-nighters to practice after the trains stop. A good friend of mine from America is a popper and he found this place so I've been going with him to check out the dancers. From what I've seen and what he's told me, there's a HUGE difference in western and Japanese dancing. Just watching him pop and a Japanese guy next to him do it looks like a completely different style.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#9 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)

10-17-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungMartin View Post
Well usually Koreans are generally better dancers than Japanese, don't rly know why. That's how I personally precieve it.

Compared to western poppers (if u watched the videos I posted) I think Hojin blows them out of the water

I mean, compare the Korean dancers in my video to these japanese poppers:

YouTube - U-Min (Japanese poppers)

I know that's more robot style, but compare that to the Korean poppers and they got so much more flow if u get what I mean. Especially Hojin, he's fucking intense
Woyeah, I've seen them, Hojin is the shit. *favorites link*. I think Koreans got the hip-hop culture going for them longer and deeper than the Japanese. It's in a lot of their MV's, too. That's why they seem so naturally predisposed to popping and the likes.

@WingsToDiscovery Thanks for the information, that's certainly a convenient place I'd check out, if I ever make it to Japan. I wonder how my own Asian style will fare against the Japanese. Do their moves look slicker than Western styles?

(#10 (permalink))
Old
KungMartin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-17-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
There's a very big dance scene in Shinjuku. Mainly on the weekends, dancers of all different styles hit up this one office building courtyard that's only a couple minute walk from the station. Crews practice their routines and individuals work on techniques. Many people pull all-nighters to practice after the trains stop. A good friend of mine from America is a popper and he found this place so I've been going with him to check out the dancers. From what I've seen and what he's told me, there's a HUGE difference in western and Japanese dancing. Just watching him pop and a Japanese guy next to him do it looks like a completely different style.
I guess ur right. I haven't seen a lot of Japanese poppers, mostly Korean so I can't judge japanese that well. But if I compare Korean poppers to Western, I think the Korean's (especially Hojin) has so much more flow and style if u get what i mean, so I guess at the end of the day it ends up looking very different because of this.

simply put Koreans are WAY better poppers than westeners^^

Japanese bboyers is different though. There are a lot of crazy good Japanese bboyers that I've seen, unlike poppers (and again there are also really good Korean bboyers)

But I think honestly popping requires a lot more technique and style than bboying, because bboying moves look the same no matter which person does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNard View Post
Woyeah, I've seen them, Hojin is the shit. *favorites link*. I think Koreans got the hip-hop culture going for them longer and deeper than the Japanese. It's in a lot of their MV's, too. That's why they seem so naturally predisposed to popping and the likes.

@WingsToDiscovery Thanks for the information, that's certainly a convenient place I'd check out, if I ever make it to Japan. I wonder how my own Asian style will fare against the Japanese. Do their moves look slicker than Western styles?
Dude check this video out

YouTube - Uk championship 07 Korea - Lia vs Hojin

The first one is a girl, and she's scary good for being a chick. But Hojin kills it in this one hands down!!!

Don't know why she won it, probably cuz she was a girl, and I bet shes hot =P

pz ! <3

Last edited by KungMartin : 10-17-2010 at 03:23 PM.