LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-19-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoomwithaMOOSE View Post
Besides they are really big on "honor" from what I hear and MOST guys (I said most guys not all guys) in the states just wouldn't make the cut.
Not sure they are that big on honor really. No more than pretty much any other organized criminal gangs and groups out there. Sure there is honor but like any criminal gang anywhere it's a fairly twisted sort of honor. I get along really well with the local Yakuza and have spent many nights drinking and chatting with them but they're still just criminals, little different to criminals anywhere in the world.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
10-19-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
sigh yuujiro im sure there was a more tasteful way to get that thought across without breaking out the N word which everyone thinks is ok to throw around nowadays. Regardless. suburbs are a different story all i see is a bunch of Caucasian middle class boys thinking their hard because they want to emulate a life style they know nothing about. I know some areas where "pathetic" would not apply and you would be lucky to make it out with your limbs attached.

Anyway im not sure why anyone would want to glorify this lifestyle i dont care what country you live in. Most people end up in this sort of life because they couldn't or wouldn't do anything to better themselves. A life of crime regardless if its a petty thief or a full blow crime syndicate should never glorified actually make something out of your life unless a life of crime hurting other, stealing from other and murdering is what you really want then by all means go for it.
A tasteful alternative? yes, there are other ways for me to have phrased that, but none of them would produce the same effect. I personally have very little respect for gangsters and as such sought to express it as accurately as possible.

I am one that chooses his words carefully. I don't typically throw words around meaninglessly and pointlessly.

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
10-19-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
Don't know how it is in the States, but here people generally respect the profession of garbage collector. Atleast in the places I've been.

They are the ones who clean the sh*t we make. That deserves some respect to say the least.

Or maybe you're associating respect with prestige.
Just because you 'deserve' something doesn't mean you'll always get it.
In this context, prestige and respect are nearly synonymous.
One doesn't go w/o accompanying the other.

I'm a chef. I understand the importance of the less prestigious jobs out there, and have come to respect them more for their work.

But atm, I'm stereotyping the typical american view point.

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-19-2010, 06:51 PM

Please get back on topic.

Please choose your words with more care. Derogatory words and racist epitaphs will not be tolerated. If you disagree, feel free to PM me.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

10-19-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Please get back on topic.

Please choose your words with more care. Derogatory words and racist epitaphs will not be tolerated. If you disagree, feel free to PM me.
It's "epithets" if I'm not mistaken, MMM. But yeah, this thread really went off the rails from the topic to "what annoys me about the modern business world" quite fast.

As for the topic:

I don't think the Yakuza are the Girl Guides. They don't hold membership drives as enough people come to them from local areas. Thinking that they do only shows confusion between reality and playing "Shenmue" and "Yakuza" games too much.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#26 (permalink))
Old
BakaTensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to BakaTensei
10-19-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
It's "epithets" if I'm not mistaken, MMM. But yeah, this thread really went off the rails from the topic to "what annoys me about the modern business world" quite fast.

As for the topic:

I don't think the Yakuza are the Girl Guides. They don't hold membership drives as enough people come to them from local areas. Thinking that they do only shows confusion between reality and playing "Shenmue" and "Yakuza" games too much.
you can never play to much shenmue...thats why they made shenmue 2! but yea, I've never heard of any none japanese yakusa members before. put sure if you really want to be part of a organised crime synicate you can always start your own gajin yakusa
(#27 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

10-19-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuujirou View Post
Just because you 'deserve' something doesn't mean you'll always get it.
In this context, prestige and respect are nearly synonymous.
One doesn't go w/o accompanying the other.

I'm a chef. I understand the importance of the less prestigious jobs out there, and have come to respect them more for their work.
But atm, I'm stereotyping the typical american view point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
Don't know how it is in the States, but here people generally respect the profession of garbage collector. Atleast in the places I've been.
There should be more people like you in the States.

And this is the end of my off-topic.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Dayanx (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Dayanx
10-20-2010, 03:09 AM

There seem to be many similarities between all forms of organized crime. Due to the operational security likely had in a family- they usually start off as a family system, with a patriarchal hierarchy. Some form of military influence is also apparent, whether it be the Italian Mafiosi's beginnings with the Roman culture's patronus tu cliente, or with Japanese rogue ronin.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-20-2010, 05:13 AM

Here is the photo of the top 95 Yakuza bosses of Yamaguchi-gumi (which controls 70% of all Yakuzas in Japan)
http://blog-imgs-43-origin.fc2.com/r...ouryokudan.jpg

You can see half of them look just like salary men out there on the street and they actually are. A lot of them are more like crooked, unscrupulous business men who don't have any conscience. So I'm sure they would love to have foreigners who were like ex-Goldman and Sacks traders who got kicked out for their shady business, but in reality, the prerequisite for being Yakuza is to go to prison and foreigners will get deported if they are convicted of a serious crime, so practically Yakuza jobs are limited to Japanese and Koreans with a special permanent residency.

Last edited by cranks : 10-20-2010 at 05:15 AM.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

10-20-2010, 07:31 AM

No one wants to be a garbage collector or slaughter house worker, the people who do such jobs do so because they have few/no other options. Sure these jobs are important, but do you or any of your friends wish to do either of these jobs? Probably not.

Gangsters become gangsters because they too have few options in life, due to upbringing or lack of education. Since they don't have the education or training to be productive members of society, they make their living doing scams, running drugs and prostitutes, or loan-sharking. The only people who respect gangsters are other gangsters, because they are too narrow to appreciate anything outside their own very limited world.