JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Qayin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

I know this's silly, but how is HIV situation in Japan? - 10-24-2010, 03:38 PM

I'm not sure, but compare to other country, Japan's HIV story is a bit quiet.

Is this mean Japan has lower infection ratio than other country? or their sex ed system is good?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
10-24-2010, 05:12 PM

Interesting.

I'd say it's only logic the HIV rate is low among conservative countries. It would be really good if this was due to an appropriate use of contraceptives such as condoms.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-24-2010, 06:23 PM

What do you mean "conservative countries"? Do you think Japan is a "conservative country"?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

10-24-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
What do you mean "conservative countries"? Do you think Japan is a "conservative country"?
con·ser·va·tive

adj.
1. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.
2. Traditional or restrained in style: a conservative dark suit.
3. Moderate; cautious: a conservative estimate.

Yes, according to these definitions above, I do think Japan is a conservative country. Then again, I have not been there myself nor am I an all-things-Japanese expert, so I might be wrong, but at least this is how Japan is seen by many people, because -let's face it- the most traditional aspects of Japan is mainly what attracts people into visiting this particular country, and I am pretty sure the Japanese tourism industry wouldn't have it any other way...

(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-24-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
con·ser·va·tive

adj.

Yes, according to these definitions above, I do think Japan is a conservative country. Then again, I have not been there myself nor am I an all-things-Japanese expert, so I might be wrong, but at least this is how Japan is seen by many people, because -let's face it- the most traditional aspects of Japan is mainly what attracts people into visiting this particular country, and I am pretty sure the Japanese tourism industry wouldn't have it any other way...
1. I guess I can understand from the impressions the media might give you of Japan, but having lived there, I wouldn't call Japan a "conservative" country. There are "national values" and social norms in Japan, but it is not a country where the majority of people follow any religious values.

It is interesting you bring up "change" because that is one of Japan's fortes: adoption and change. The ability of Japan to hold onto history and at the same time adapt to change is very unique (to overgeneralize).

2. Style wise as well, Japan holds onto the traditional while also being on the cutting edge.

3. These aren't the first words that would come to my mind when describing Japanese culture.

If Japan really was sexually conservative, places like love hotels would go out of business.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

10-24-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
There are "national values" and social norms in Japan, but it is not a country where the majority of people follow any religious values.
Who said anything about religious values? Traditional does not imply having strong religious convictions. I never said Japan was the religious kind of conservative.

Quote:
It is interesting you bring up "change" because that is one of Japan's fortes: adoption and change. The ability of Japan to hold onto history and at the same time adapt to change is very unique (to overgeneralize).
I didn't bring up "change", it was in the definiton I quoted. And ok, each and every single word used to define the term CONSERVATIVE does not apply to what would be an accurate picture of Japan nowadays, but whatever, I will not argue with you if you want to deny that there are certain aspects of the Japanese culture that can be labeled as conservative. To me it is a fact, and therefore this MAY be ONE of the many reasons why it has a low HIV rate.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-24-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about religious values? Traditional does not imply having strong religious convictions. I never said Japan was the religious kind of conservative.

I didn't bring up "change", it was in the definiton I quoted. And ok, each and every single word used to define the term CONSERVATIVE does not apply to what would be an accurate picture of Japan nowadays, but whatever, I will not argue with you if you want to deny that there are certain aspects of the Japanese culture that can be labeled as conservative. To me it is a fact, and therefore this MAY be ONE of the many reasons why it has a low HIV rate.
I am not trying to get into an argument.
Well we are talking about sexuality, right? The question is why does Japan have such a low HIV rate (if that is in fact the case).

You introduced the idea that Japan is conservative, therefore they have a low HIV rate. I am just trying to flesh that thought out a bit.

Generally sexually conservative countries or areas are also very religious. It doesn't really matter what religion it is.

I think if the HIV rate in Japan really is very low it is because the majority of Japanese never have sex with anyone but other Japanese. Japan is an island country, so that itself gives a level of protection.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-24-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
con·ser·va·tive

adj.

I agree with you that Japan is a conservative country, and traditional/family values (though not really based on religion here) do tend to run deep, especially outside of the bigger cities, and may in fact have an impact on the low HIV rate, though there is probably other factors involved.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-25-2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
I agree with you that Japan is a conservative country, and traditional/family values (though not really based on religion here) do tend to run deep, especially outside of the bigger cities, and may in fact have an impact on the low HIV rate, though there is probably other factors involved.
I would think the low amount of HIV in the country can be directly correlated with the low amount of chances for HIV to be introduced into the community.

I guess I am not seeing what these conservative traditional family values are that are keeping Japan HIV rates low.

Japan has a HIV rate of 0.1%, compared to America's 0.6%. I would hardly say Japan is 6x more sexually conservative than America is. That's a hard argument to make, I think.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-25-2010, 03:44 AM

Quote:
In my experience of near 7 years here I have a complete opposite point of view. I believe it's the inability of Japan to change which is causing many of the issues we have here in terms of the economy.

I agree though that probably the main reason that HIV rates here would be low is because of the relatively closed borders and that most Japanese do not sleep around with foreigners all that much.