LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
ModusOperandi (Offline)
JF Regular

11-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
Wha...? Excuse meee??!! A piece of paper? Man, is that why you went into university? Because you don't want to be seen as a dropout...? Seriously, I like to think people who choose to go to university is because they really want to acquire a specific knowledge in a specific field they can get nowhere else. Like people who have the dream of having a job they can only get by having a uni degree. It's about ambition and determination. And for God's sake, it's not just a piece of paper.
Lol, no need to be excused when you're voicing your opinion. Yes, that's why I went to University. And yes, you go to learn about your chosen discipline (as I stated) and then some. However, it is still a piece of paper that only displays you went, paid and suffered through college. As hippy and cliche as this may sound, it's just another addition to the long list of societal norms. It's a piece of paper that doesn't, in any way or form, represent skill/level or knowledge as far as I'm concerned. It just gives you a leg up because you somehow sat through the edumacations. A group of people who haven't even stepped in college could probably run circles around you in programming, 3d/2d animation, game design, illustrations, geographical awareness, political awareness, medical knowledge, all forms of engineering etc. But in the end of the day, that piece of paper will "supposedly" make you the better candidate for no other reason than the fact that you have it...and even then, it's a gamble...since some people might value something more than that paper. That piece of paper, or even your transcript for that matter, doesn't measure what you can/cannot do. Some people are gifted in theory, some are gifted in practically. Some just meander through college, some sweat their butts off.

I'll be walking the podium and receiving that paper by the end of this semester; and, walking with me, will be some of the most stupidest people I've ever known alongside some of the smartest people I've had the opportunity of meeting.

Like I mentioned in the disclaimer, "the experience is not universal." Some people might read more into their degree, some people, like me, do not.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

11-07-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusOperandi View Post
Lol, no need to be excused when you're voicing your opinion. Yes, that's why I went to University. And yes, you go to learn about your chosen discipline (as I stated) and then some. However, it is still a piece of paper that only displays you went, paid and suffered through college. As hippy and cliche as this may sound, it's just another addition to the long list of societal norms. It's a piece of paper that doesn't, in any way or form, represent skill/level or knowledge as far as I'm concerned. It just gives you a leg up because you somehow sat through the edumacations. A group of people who haven't even stepped in college could probably run circles around you in programming, 3d/2d animation, game design, illustrations, geographical awareness, political awareness, medical knowledge, all forms of engineering etc. But in the end of the day, that piece of paper will "supposedly" make you the better candidate for no other reason than the fact that you have it...and even then, it's a gamble...since some people might value something more than that paper. That piece of paper, or even your transcript for that matter, doesn't measure what you can/cannot do. Some people are gifted in theory, some are gifted in practically. Some just meander through college, some sweat their butts off.

I'll be walking the podium and receiving that paper by the end of this semester; and, walking with me, will be some of the most stupidest people I've ever known alongside some of the smartest people I've had the opportunity of meeting.

Like I mentioned in the disclaimer, "the experience is not universal." Some people might read more into their degree, some people, like me, do not.
I like you.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-07-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusOperandi View Post
It's a piece of paper that doesn't, in any way or form, represent skill/level or knowledge as far as I'm concerned. It just gives you a leg up because you somehow sat through the edumacations.

That piece of paper, or even your transcript for that matter, doesn't measure what you can/cannot do. Some people are gifted in theory, some are gifted in practically. Some just meander through college, some sweat their butts off.

My degree is currently....stuffed in a box somewhere in my wardrobe. At the back. Because no one wants to see it.

They want to know when, what and where I studied. Sometimes they want to know what grade I got. That's about it. Everything else I have ever been asked, EVER, concerning getting a job, has been about completely different stuff- past jobs, work experience, who I have worked with, personality, concrete skills like lists of equipment they could leave me with and find us both intact at the end of the day etc. 80% of which is all answerable by things I have done outside of my degree.

I walked to the podium and got a bit of A4 paper to say I'd studied Japanese and Psychology. It was a 2:1, just barely, with hons.

I understood, and still understand Japanese far better than my colleague who just missed out on a first. Because he did Understanding Manga and Japanese film while I did Business Japanese and Understanding Academic Japanese in Contemporary Texts. And a dissertational research project. Not all 2:1's are anywhere near equal, even in the same course.

I don't know; if I'd been to Harvard and got a 1st or something, maybe i'd be ringing the bells and nailing that sucker to the forehead of everyone who even looked my general direction and basking in it's Mida's glow. But I'm just josephine average; my degree does bugger all to differentiate me from the hordes- it just moves me from one class of horde to another.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

11-08-2010, 01:18 PM

One thing people forget about Higher education is the SOFT SKILLS...! People talk about a minority and make it sound like it's the majority. The truth of the matter is, that most people that go to Uni don't end up working in the field they studied. I know people that studied history and became bankers. I know people that studied Math and because journalists. I know people that studied Languages and became IT managers.

The reason most people go to uni is to learn soft skills. Whether they realise it or not. I'm doing a joint degree in Physics and Maths. One of the soft skills I'm acquiring is Analysis and Problem solving. Someone doing History or English for example would be learning Information gathering and summarising.

I'd recommend Uni for almost anyone, unless you have a specific idea of a career you want where it'd be better to get a different type of degree... For example, if you want to be an electrician, you're wasting your time and money. There are qualifications you need and a uni degree isn't one of them.

Suki, I too am doing my degrees just to have a piece of paper. Come January 2012, I will probably have a Masters degree in Math and Physics, a Financial Engineering degree and a bachelors in English and International relations. The only thing these degrees will do for me, is give me luggage and backup. Cos honestly, I HATE Math and Physics, so I don't want to be a researcher or a teacher. Finance was interesting to me, till the world decided to hate banks and bankers, which in turn is making the career not as well paid as it used to be. As for English, I doing it because every university I spoke to from English speaking countries, told me that I had to take a TOEFL exam because my University degree was in French. They totally ignore the fact that I spent half my life in England. So I though, f*** it. I'll do this degree, turn up for the exams and that's it.

If you've found something you're passionate about, you're lucky! A lot of us, don't have a clue so we just try to secure a good salary! And the best way to do that is degrees!

EDIT

MissMisa, what do you mean by;

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
This is sometimes a good thing as it will prepare you for the real world which isn't selective.
There's nothing more selective than the real world. Wherever I've done Internships and wherever I've worked, I've only seen competition and the fight to be the best (not to mention how hard it is to get the internship in the first place). I think the only place where that wasn't true was Gamestation and a reprographics company where people were like machines and had no prospects of advancing in the company. Place yourself in an environment where you have the opportunity to advance and earn more money, and you'll have so much competition that you'll find yourself working overtime just to keep your job!

Last edited by noodle : 11-08-2010 at 01:27 PM.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
ModusOperandi (Offline)
JF Regular

11-08-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I meant, sometimes, you have to work with people you deem stupid, people you don't get on with, people who are just abrasive... Uni prepares you for that kind of thing. I mean, you can't select who you work with yourself.
MissMisa, I think having the ability to deal with people is mere common sense and doesn't really require a paid education

As for your other points, a person can make it into the industry via portfolios and demo reels, but will more than likely trail behind a less skilled individual with a degree.

While I support education (as I've explained twice already) in general and am glad to hear you're making the most of your time in college, I see no merit in that document that only acts as a "right of passage" in the professional world. I used to think this was the document that would set me apart and yada, yada, yada...but the more closer I get to the culmination of my undergrad, the more I realize how useless it is in practicality. It holds no record of what you can/cannot do but still gives you a boost (as Columbine and the fellow before me posted) over the other person who doesn't have the education but is more experienced. A bit cynical? Yes. But unfortunately, that's how society works.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
11-08-2010, 05:51 PM

yep..
I'm still a student..
before, now, and always..

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#47 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-09-2010, 09:25 PM

sorry to say I have never been to University but th University of lIfe has taught me quite a lot.

I have always attended adult education evening classes etc but now the cost is prohibitve as I am on a very small pension.

I do belong to the U3A. which is the third Age trust-- University of the third age.

It is self supporting and as many people who have retired have many skills and much knowledge-- they pass it on.

Usually classes start in people homes-- then if too popular they extend to using Halls etc.

U3A is a marvellous organisation-- so many different subjects are covered and the cost is miniscule compared with adult education fees.

I believe it is almost worldwide, maybe when YOu retire----------------- You might be glad to also join it and to share your knowledge etc.

We belong to two music groups------------ making music with our recorders. I have been keen on Early Music for many years--------we have a large recorder ensemble with all sizes of recorders-- plus what we call a HOTCH POTCH ORCHESTRA-- where any instrument is welcome and we are fortunate to have a wonderful conductor and have attempted many well known pieces-- such as Mozart, Bach, Sibelius and dozens more.

Anything is possible with the U3A.

There is a section here if you scroll down to international U3A's. It's on adobe so I cannot copy it onto here. But it seems that yes they do have it in Japan-- so thats good.