JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MeIsKevin (Offline)
JF Regular

11-14-2010, 10:41 AM

I know what you mean, it's okay to like japan, but being over-obsessed is just too much.

Especially here in Sweden, weeaboos are mixing Swedish with Japanese, saying kawaii, desu and other words just to believe they can speak japanese.

I HATE weeaboos, they're embarrassing ._.

All goto my Yewtoob account and add me as friend!
HTML Code:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnimatorRM/
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-14-2010, 10:47 AM

If you're on this site then you're a weabo including myself.

It's just a slur against those that have an interest in Japan.

Doing what you're doing would be like trying to define n*****s as seperately from black people.

It's a pointless discussion

Last edited by MMM : 11-14-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Unneeded racist epithet starred out
(#13 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

11-14-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I couldn't disagree more. There are plenty of people here (including myself) who don't subscribe to the aspects that define one as being a weaboo.
To make a comparative analogy, you're saying that everyone who plays video games, recreational or hardcore, is an otaku.
Or that anyone who reads comics, whether recreational or hardcore, Japanese manga or Western graphic novel, is an otaku.

The word itself (with the definition) was purely created as a way to distinguish those who may have some sort of interest in Japan VS those who wish they were Japanese (and lived in Akiba and had a JP GF and ate ramen every day and blah blah blah).

The word "weaboo" is designed to point out the extreme, not just those who have an interest.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography

Last edited by WingsToDiscovery : 11-14-2010 at 11:57 AM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
11-14-2010, 11:51 AM

I constantly got on about Japan to my friends, & I know its too the point it annoys them. But as you say in the first post, KungMartin, I like other countries too. Maybe not as much, but...

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

11-14-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:

It's just a slur against those that have an interest in Japan.

Doing what you're doing would be like trying to define n*****s as seperately from black people.

It's a pointless discussion
I would have to disagree there Ronin. There is a difference between normal folk, and weabos. The term weabo is mostly used for the type that live in the fantasy world, thinking Japan is this utopia, where everyone is in love with anime, and that life there is this dream come true. People who believe that, have the title thrown at them.

I can't recall once, where I've said to someone "I'm interested in Japanese culture, and it's history, as well as other parts like the music." and been called weabo in return.

Perhaps that's just me.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -

Last edited by MMM : 11-14-2010 at 06:44 PM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
KungMartin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-14-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post
I would have to disagree there Ronin. There is a difference between normal folk, and weabos. The term weabo is mostly used for the type that live in the fantasy world, thinking Japan is this utopia, where everyone is in love with anime, and that life there is this dream come true. People who believe that, have the title thrown at them.

I can't recall once, where I've said to someone "I'm interested in Japanese culture, and it's history, as well as other parts like the music." and been called weabo in return.

Perhaps that's just me.
That's a whole different story dude, that's kinda like racism, lemme explain.

I have two different friends groups, one group enjoys Japan (not weaboo style), the other group couldn't care less about Japan. Some friends in this group are even to the point where they hate everything that's Japanese, and diss Japanese people just for being Japanese, and people who love it (whereas they aren't racist in any other way, just specifically against Japan). I just think that's racism in a way, and it's retarded. I guess I just accept it because they're awesome people past that detail.

What I mean is that the people who called u a weeaboo just because u think Japan is interesting, are people like the ones I just described...

pz ! <3
(#17 (permalink))
Old
KungMartin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-14-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
I constantly got on about Japan to my friends, & I know its too the point it annoys them. But as you say in the first post, KungMartin, I like other countries too. Maybe not as much, but...
Just widen ur horizons, enjoy everything life has to offer, trust me dude u'll enjoy life more. And it's not only about enjoying other countries, it's about... just enjoying everything that can potentially be enjoyed. There's so much more to life than u might think, some people I guess just need to realize that =P

It's all good to like everything Japan has to offer, but variety is key to true enjoyment=) I guess it might be a personal oppinion, but who doesn't think variety tops monotonousness?=S

Also, u'll save urself from being frowned upon (not that it should necessarily matter, but hey, who LIKES being frowned upon?) =PP

pz ! <3

Last edited by KungMartin : 11-14-2010 at 12:36 PM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

11-14-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

Perhaps that's just me.
lol... listen to yourself.

Who actually believes those things.

I mean I've met people that are a little bit too over enthusiastic about Japan for my liking also.

But to someone who has no interest in Japan at all and that has contempt for people who are interested in Japan... then WE are the Weabos to them.

It's relative.

For example.. I don't understand those people that listen to Japanese music almost religiously yet they can't understand the lyrics. For me that just doesn't make sense. If I were to be contemptuous towards them then I would call them Weabos. (Although I don't understand why you would listen to songs that you can't understand, I don't really hold contempt towards these people but that was just an example)

It's just a slur and the fact that none of you can agree on a particular definition or establish a line one must cross in which to become a weaboo is evidence of this.

The fact that nobody can look at themselves and honestly say they're a weabo is further evidence of my point.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 11-14-2010 at 01:21 PM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

11-14-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
The fact that nobody can look at themselves and honestly say they're a weabo is further evidence of my point.
Well I've already received a reasonable amount of derision from people on this forum for deciding to live here without really being into Japanese culture at all. Don't think I could be considered a weaboo could I? I've never read even one manga in my whole life and I've lived in Japan for almost 7 years!!
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

11-14-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Well I've already received a reasonable amount of derision from people on this forum for deciding to live here without really being into Japanese culture at all. Don't think I could be considered a weaboo could I? I've never read even one manga in my whole life and I've lived in Japan for almost 7 years!!
The fact you live in Japan makes you a weabo to someone out there.

But like I said.. it's a slur and I imagine only a racist would think of you or someone in your situation as a weabo.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 11-14-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Closed Thread