JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-14-2010, 01:30 PM

You may be right. As I said earlier I hadn't even heard of the term weaboo previously until being active on this forum. I was blissfully unaware that there were all these people out there in other countries who idolise this country. It's been an eye opener.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

11-14-2010, 01:56 PM

Good points, I take back my arguments.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#23 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

11-14-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
The fact you live in Japan makes you a weabo to someone out there.

But like I said.. it's a slur and I imagine only a racist would think of you or someone in your situation as a weabo.
I can't agree with this. In relative terms, by your logic you could never give any kind of description to a style or archetype because someone else could dismiss it as being relative. But we don't do this because we have to give the best description to fit certain definite characteristics that describe something or someone to distinguish it from something else.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#24 (permalink))
Old
KyokoUK (Offline)
Loving KuranUSA

Send a message via MSN to KyokoUK Send a message via Yahoo to KyokoUK Send a message via Skype™ to KyokoUK
11-14-2010, 05:27 PM

So...are all the Japanese who love American country music, wear western cowboy hats, or are big baseball fans or love American or English fashions...are they weeaboos too? Just wondering if this sword cuts both ways. And as a Japanese girl born and raised English and totally interested in learning everything I can about Japan from anime to ancient classic dance...does that mean I'm a weeaboo too? (yes, a little sarcistic but not in a mean way)

I Defied My Brain And Learned For Myself That Wheelchairs Are Not Always Forever...Music Was A Large Part Of My Healing...Let Music Heal Your Soul.

(#25 (permalink))
Old
KungMartin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-14-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
lol... listen to yourself.

Who actually believes those things.

I mean I've met people that are a little bit too over enthusiastic about Japan for my liking also.

But to someone who has no interest in Japan at all and that has contempt for people who are interested in Japan... then WE are the Weabos to them.

It's relative.

For example.. I don't understand those people that listen to Japanese music almost religiously yet they can't understand the lyrics. For me that just doesn't make sense. If I were to be contemptuous towards them then I would call them Weabos. (Although I don't understand why you would listen to songs that you can't understand, I don't really hold contempt towards these people but that was just an example)

It's just a slur and the fact that none of you can agree on a particular definition or establish a line one must cross in which to become a weaboo is evidence of this.

The fact that nobody can look at themselves and honestly say they're a weabo is further evidence of my point.
This guy is so stubborn =//

Yes, weeaboo is a slur (obviously), it's not a newsflash. Much like emo is a slur nowadays. And both are equally hated.

Someone who likes Japan among other things is NOT a weeaboo, get with the program dude, THEN come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I can't agree with this. In relative terms, by your logic you could never give any kind of description to a style or archetype because someone else could dismiss it as being relative. But we don't do this because we have to give the best description to fit certain definite characteristics that describe something or someone to distinguish it from something else.
This pretty much. Trust me, he's going to come back again and keep insisting that we should "look at ourselves and say that we're weeaboos". Is this guy like... butthurt by any chance?

Is he a former-weeaboo who snapped out of it, and now is trying to justify something?=S

It's like there's a discussion about not liking emos, and some dude enters and keeps insisting than anyone with long hair who listens to rock is an emo=// Rockers have long hair, emos have long hair, rockers listen to rock, emos listen to rock, there are a bunch of correlations, but are rockers automatically emos because of this? Don't think so

pz ! <3

Last edited by KungMartin : 11-14-2010 at 07:50 PM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
IonFortuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to IonFortuna Send a message via Skype™ to IonFortuna
11-14-2010, 06:18 PM

This is my first time hearing that word.

One problem I see with alot of people is they hate what they don't understand, understanding is important for everything.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

11-14-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
But you can't even give me those characteristics beyond "someone who thinks Japan is utopia and is obsessed with Japan" etc. Which is just an opinion rather than a description of someone or something.

And even if you did give me one. That would just be your personal opinion. I've already told you what I think a "Weabo" would be. I can't understand why someone would listen to music when they can't understand the lyrics.. to me those people would be "Weabos" if I was going to be contemptuous towards them.

I would agree with you if there was an accepted description. But there just isn't. As I said before.. trying to define the word Weabo is like trying to define the word nigger.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

11-14-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyokoUK View Post
So...are all the Japanese who love American country music, wear western cowboy hats, or are big baseball fans or love American or English fashions...are they weeaboos too? Just wondering if this sword cuts both ways. And as a Japanese girl born and raised English and totally interested in learning everything I can about Japan from anime to ancient classic dance...does that mean I'm a weeaboo too? (yes, a little sarcistic but not in a mean way)
Nah.. It's basically a one way thing.

And you are Japanese so it doesn't count for you either.

Someone said earlier that it was racist.. I sort of agree.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
11-14-2010, 10:21 PM

I think 'weaboo' only goes for the ones who actually believe that they will BECOME Japanese or that they ARE Japanese.. That they can become part of the Japanese country by reading manga, saying 'kawaii', wearing lolita outfits, listening to VK music etc. There's a huge gap between enjoying Japanese culture, inventions etc. and actually being a creepy-ass weaboo.

Quote:
I've already told you what I think a "Weabo" would be. I can't understand why someone would listen to music when they can't understand the lyrics.. to me those people would be "Weabos" if I was going to be contemptuous towards them.
LOL. According to that statement, I'd be a weaboo for liking Miyavi's music? Even for liking Korean music? Hahahaha.. that's pretty hilarious

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast

Last edited by NanteNa : 11-14-2010 at 10:34 PM.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-14-2010, 10:30 PM

Ronin>Despite the point you are trying to make about their being no official definition of the word, I think it could be said their is a majority understanding of what is considered to be a weeaboo. Generally an unhealthy/ridiculous/silly-immature/delusional obsession with Japan. There is a difference and I do not think it is too hard to draw the line. I mean, how hard it is it really to distinguish as sports car, or a sedan or whatever from all other cars? Or are they all just cars to you?
Closed Thread