JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
KungMartin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Why are so many japan lovers weeaboos? - 11-13-2010, 07:44 PM

Like... I think it's fine to enjoy Japanese culture, Anime, J-rock, J-pop etc, but the so called "weeaboos" take this to a whole new level. It's like the ONLY thing they like, to the point that they couldn't care less about anything else, not even their own country, or even themselves, lmfao!

Like... why can't you like Japan AND other stuff too? And why can't you like Japan for other stuff than J-rock? Yes, j-rock and j-pop (hence the name I guess) is pop culture in Japan, but there are other cultures and styles that I bet are equally big (I'm not going to pretend that I've been to Japan, because let's face it most ppl here probably haven't).

I love Japan, I love their culture, I love their people (there's just something about them that's so awesome), but like... c'mon now.. u get my point right?=S

I guess /troll, but this is something that kinda really annoys me. I very rarely find a fellow Japan-lover on the internet who isn't a complete emo/weeaboo, which is kinda sad cuz personally I find them less interesting to discuss with. I'm not going to complain about real life, cuz I do have japan-lovers who are like me, more versatile in interests. And yes, I have noticed quite a few non-weeaboos here on JF, who I can identify myself with (who for the record are a majority in General Discussion, hint?).

And this isn't aimed specifically at JF, it's aimed at j-lovers in general. It's what I've gathered through experience.

I honestly can't wrap my finger around this=/

anyone?

pz ! <3

Last edited by KungMartin : 11-13-2010 at 07:46 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-14-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
We've had this discussion many times and my opinion is this:

Who cares?

I don't care if someone gets a little OTT about Japan, they aren't HARMING anyone, they might be mildly annoying at best. If people like this actually get to you, then you need to lighten up.
It depends on your situation IMO. Living outside of Japan, it's not a big deal at all, but when I lived in Japan, I lived with a fairly large community of foreigners, which included people of all types and motivations. The obsessives tended to be picked up more by the local media/ stereotyping machine, and anyone with more diverse or serious interests could easily find themselves having to answer for the obsessives, which can be highly embarrassing. Especially if the Japanese people they were talking to had only encountered this sort of person, or doesn't understand it at all.

So not harmful, per se, but limiting, and it can create a general stereotype for the motivations of students in Japan, so it can be limiting and somewhat of a stigma in the worst case.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

11-14-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Weeaboos in Japan would be embarassing, awful and potentially a lot worse, but I was going on the assumption that 99% of them will probably never make it and it'll be a fad that passes with time, haha.
Believe me, it's as bad as it sounds. Most weaboos won't get over to Japan because they're immature and just won't get their sh!t together, but there are quite a few that I've met who've slipped through the cracks at my college. They don't understand how awful they are and all of the Japanese students (which make up most of the school) can't stand them and literally laugh at them at times.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-14-2010, 01:02 AM

Maybe I have been lucky, cuz I have not met that many that were super annoying. I just thought they were regular dorks, of a slightly different variety.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KungMartin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-14-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
Believe me, it's as bad as it sounds. Most weaboos won't get over to Japan because they're immature and just won't get their sh!t together, but there are quite a few that I've met who've slipped through the cracks at my college. They don't understand how awful they are and all of the Japanese students (which make up most of the school) can't stand them and literally laugh at them at times.
Trust me, I know what it's like. I have a few Japanese friends here in Sweden (who go to Japan regularly), and they can't stand j-tards (as we call them). I can imagine how stupid weaboos would look if they actually went to Japan.

pz ! <3
(#6 (permalink))
Old
KyokoUK (Offline)
Loving KuranUSA

Send a message via MSN to KyokoUK Send a message via Yahoo to KyokoUK Send a message via Skype™ to KyokoUK
11-14-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
Maybe I have been lucky, cuz I have not met that many that were super annoying. I just thought they were regular dorks, of a slightly different variety.
I think you got right to the point there, they're just regular dorks. I love Japan because its part of my family's culture. Having been born a few generations after my great grandparents "went west" I find myself just a plain old English girl with almond eyes and I don't want to be only that, I want to study my culture and language and perhaps some day, travel to Japan on holiday. If those "dorks" want to really identify with "us" then let them identify with our Japanese, racist movement that perverted Shinto and helped make us the bad guys back in world war II. Let them identify with being rounded up and put into detention centers in the west during that time just for being Americans or Englishmen with the racial heritage of "The Enemy." Let them identify with our victims of the first atomic war in the history of the planet. Let them go to Japan and visit the OUR "ground zero's" which are much older and took more lives that hundreds of trade centers (and I'm not casting dispersion on that event what so ever, just making a comparison.) I could go on but I will only use these illustrations. Japan and Japanese culture is much more than anime, J-pop (which I love) or making "pilgrimages" to a wonderful country and lovely people which is NOT "The Holy Land" so enjoy Japan all you want to but for goodness sake, have a life also.

I Defied My Brain And Learned For Myself That Wheelchairs Are Not Always Forever...Music Was A Large Part Of My Healing...Let Music Heal Your Soul.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

11-14-2010, 04:45 AM

I must admit that even though I've been in Japan almost 7 years I had never even heard of the term 'weeaboos' prior to visiting this website. I never met anyone like that in Australia and haven't really met anyone like it working and living up this way. It is indeed a strange phenomena that I've only recently become aware of. Thankfully I'd guess most of them would concregate in the big cities if they do make it over here and won't ever bother us up here in rural Hokkaido!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

11-14-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungMartin View Post
weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos weeaboos

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

11-14-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Weeaboos in Japan would be embarassing, awful and potentially a lot worse, but I was going on the assumption that 99% of them will probably never make it and it'll be a fad that passes with time, haha.
Yeah, I mean high-schoolers, well who cares. High school kids get dumb and over-enthusiastic about everything; it's kind of the territory. The main problem with the fanatics who ~do~ get to Japan is that their often of the age where most people have toned it down or grown out of it.

It was incredible actually; about 600 foreign exchange students arrived in Japan, all complete strangers- by day 2 as if by magic, invisible social lines had been drawn- all the japanophiles had opted to live in the most expensive 'creature comfort' dorm D (western-style beds, private toilets etc) and went to cafeteria A at lunchtime and that is where they stayed- asides from certain classes and cycling past them all waiting for the bus, i almost never saw them again. Actually, that was amusing- the only japanese opinion i ever got on it was "They must be pretty clumsy- all the injured people seem to live there". and it was true! in one semester 6 or 7 managed to bust an ankle or toe or something- they all lived in that one dorm!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

11-14-2010, 10:24 AM

I've actually already met two weaboos who have gone home because they couldn't cut it here. They found out that coming to Japan means you're still going to have to live the same "grown up" life you would back home, but now you're in a foreign country and all of the complications that come with it. The first guy was just a straight up antisocial slob. He didn't shower, wore the same clothes every day, and just nested in front of his computer watching anime. He didn't last two weeks before calling it quits and flying back home. The other guy was a study abroad student who had done a semester in Japan before, but last time he had a bunch of study abroad weaboo friends to hang out with and play games and watch anime. This time he had to hang out with myself and the other new students except we're all socialites who go out and shop, party, and more. He was a nice enough guy but he felt like he just didn't fit in and decided to go home.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
Closed Thread