LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-22-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
So, we're approaching December and with it comes the craziness that is having to think of what to get everyone for Christmas. I don't know about you guys, but every year I find myself struggling to come up with something good to buy, like, I spend HOURS trying to figure it out. Is it the same for you guys? Cause I don't know if it's just me, but this whole thing gets on my nerves. Especially when a friend tells you how happy she is cause she came up with a great idea for a present, then she asks if you've thought of something and GAAAAAAAH I have a sudden mood swing. That bad. And it is wrong cause buying stuff for your loved ones is supposed to be a happy thing, something you do out of joy, but I get all stressed up and end up just getting whatever just to get it over with. Cause honestly... parents? I mean, what is one supposed to get for their parents? Like they don't have everything they need already! So really, I could use some help. Words of inspiration. Fresh ideas. Anything.
I'm not sure what I do really; normally for me it's just a case of making observations about the people around me, so the people I struggle to buy for are the ones I hardly see much. Some people have been pretty straight-forward this year;

My sister's suddenly taken an interest in baking and she's moving into a new flat, so i've put together a little baking kit-rolling pin, pastry cutters, bake sheets, mixing bowl etc.

My cousin wanted a Gryffindor Harry Potter scarf, but didn't want to buy official merch. because it would be too blatant (she's 22, i can kind of appreciate this) so I'm knitting her one instead that's more muted and subtle. I also disclaim totally that I can knit. I can do one really easy stitch and I'm patient enough to do it a couple of thousand times. That's about as much as it takes to make a scarf.

I also club together with people. Like my Bro-in-law is really fond of cheese, so the parents have got him a cheese board and knife, and I'm going to do him a 1/2 dozen jars of chutney to go with it.

and yeah, things to do is always good. I got my mum a tea strainer one year for her birthday, but it came with a trip to take tea at the Ritz. My dad got her theatre tickets the same year, and my sister sorted out dinner, so my Mum had a really good day! Another year I took her to the local bird sanctuary because she'd said she'd never seen a kingfisher up close and she'd never been kayaking (you can do both there!). My uncle we mostly just sponsor to do what he loves- fishing and eating things.

Actually, one of the BEST presents I ever gave people were Christmas stockings. I made a whole bunch out of cheap red felt when i was about 18, filled them with random bits and pieces and gave them to all my friends; they LOVED them. A couple almost cried, and it was hilarious fun unwrapping it all. Nothing expensive either; copies of the Beano comic, bottles of bubble mixture, lollipops, chocolate coins, mini jars of jam, nuts, a satsuma, those bugs with sticky feet you can throw at a wall and they flop down it, popping candy, candy canes, bottles of nail polish or eyeshadow (£1 shops ftw), potato guns, socks, random confetti and beads, frickin' ROCKS i'd painted. Tinsel halos. comedy glasses. Whoopee cushions. stickers. cookies. party tooters and poppers. Silly hats. Loads of really, really dumb stuff, but the point was, no one had had anything like it since they were kids and it kind of recaptured a bit of magic. I gave them a badly-sewn sock full of tat, they went home all hopped up with Christmas. Doesn't work for everyone, but for a few people it's pretty much perfect.

I dunno, I really don't think you need to be an artist to make gifts; all you need is some imagination, a sense of fun, and the willingness to put in some effort.