JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: How much do you believe in what you see on TV?
I believe almost everything. (100%) 0 0%
I believe parts of it, more than half.(>50%) 4 19.05%
I believe a few parts, at least a quarter.(>25%) 5 23.81%
I believe a few parts, at most a quarter.(<25%) 9 42.86%
I don't believe almost anything to none I see on TV. (~0%) 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
How much of what you see on TV do you believe? - 11-19-2010, 09:55 AM

I was just wondering how much everyone believes in what it sees on TV, in TV shows, documentaries, news bulletins and anything else, including movies.
I'm asking this cause i saw on other threads how much impact has the TV on a humans thinking towards different things, countries and others.
One example is: a lot of people know about Cuba that is a bad bad country, however, the medical service available per person is much better than anywhere else in the world.
Another one: The movies theme "terrorist in USA" has to be about the religious believes, beside this, they are always depicted to be of arabic origins, and many people believe that so much, that they are blaming anyone of those origins/believes to be terrorists.
Third example: the common type phone Iphone and its "rage" in the market, after its marketing campaign it's considered to be a unique item in the world, by enough people for Apple to have record breaking sales.

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?

Last edited by protheus : 11-19-2010 at 10:06 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-19-2010, 10:03 AM

Television is always 100% accurate, true and unbiased! Period.

Seriously though, I think most people with some degree of intelligence, know what to believe and when to call bullshit.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
File0 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-19-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
Television is always 100% accurate, true and unbiased! Period.

Seriously though, I think most people with some degree of intelligence, know what to believe and when to call bullshit.
haha
Well said! That's why I never watch TV - don't even have one (you can get enough bullshit from elsewhere). I stopped watching it 3 years ago along with smoking...
I love films though, but not because I want to educate myself properly.
I think you have to be very careful with every bit of media, especially with news channels and documentary. lol
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-19-2010, 11:57 AM

What do you believe in movies? Movies are fiction, so there's nothing to believe, really. If the movie is based on fact, then it is based on fact, not entirely fact.

As for everything else, one has to take it on a case by case basis. News can be biased toward the nation or political view based even on the station you are watching. (i.e. FOX)

Some of those who use television to further their causes can, and sometimes do, alter the perception by omitting facts not in their favor, so those have to be taken with a bit of skepticism.

Documentaries about nature are about all I really believe and the BBC and NHK do some tremendously good documentaries.... Has anyone seen Wild China? It's a six-part series about the flora and fauna in China by the BBC and CCTV. Awesome!

In all, one really can't believe 100% of what's out there.... IMHO
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
11-19-2010, 12:27 PM

I believe a lot of what I see on TV, yet am knowledgeable enough not to be 'brainwashed' by what I see. I think these days are better in media than the days of political propeganda during the cold war etc.

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
11-19-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
What do you believe in movies? Movies are fiction, so there's nothing to believe, really. If the movie is based on fact, then it is based on fact, not entirely fact.

As for everything else, one has to take it on a case by case basis. News can be biased toward the nation or political view based even on the station you are watching. (i.e. FOX)

Some of those who use television to further their causes can, and sometimes do, alter the perception by omitting facts not in their favor, so those have to be taken with a bit of skepticism.

Documentaries about nature are about all I really believe and the BBC and NHK do some tremendously good documentaries.... Has anyone seen Wild China? It's a six-part series about the flora and fauna in China by the BBC and CCTV. Awesome!

In all, one really can't believe 100% of what's out there.... IMHO
I have to agree with you there. NHK's documentaries are amazing. I also saw that Wild China documentary. Then I saw it was repeated a few months later, so I watched it again. lol. I don't watch a lot of documentaries, but what I do watch seems to be most fascinating

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
11-19-2010, 01:39 PM

You guys cannot begin to imagine how much manipulation goes on in the media field. It's a business before it's anything else. They don't care much about being true to the facts as long as they get a high audience score. That how it is with private channels. Public broadcasting has a different policy, if you're gonna trust anything you see on the TV make sure you're getting it from a public channel.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#8 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
11-19-2010, 02:31 PM

I take everything with a grain of salt, but keeping from being "brainwashed" or just overall lied to is a LOT harder then some of the comments in this thread point out.

You can always be distrustful of what's put on TV, but until you actually take time to break things down (such as a movie, commercial, etc.), analyze it, and research the things it's telling you and what they mean/what they do/etc., you really will never know how much bias and lies are in the media.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-19-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
Either a hell of a lot of people out there don't even have some degree of intelligence or intelligence isn't that great an asset in being able to call bullshit because there's a ridiculous amount of people out there these days who believe all kinds of bullshit. People still believe in gods, ghosts, astrology and all sorts of other ridiculous crap. Little wonder they'll also believe in ridiculous crap from the media...
(#10 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
11-19-2010, 04:58 PM

You sometimes have to take even what they say on the news with a pinch of salt. I don't believe majority of what's reported unless it's like ''Bomb attack'' or something like that.. We've had wayyy too many incidents where the press blew stuff up to be something huge. Especially in a case we had about 'muscle dogs' (pittbulls, American Staffordshire, american bulldog etc) where the press made it seem like ALL socalled 'muscle dogs' were SO mean and SO brutal. This all resulted in a ban of the mentioned breeds - even legal breeders who got papers on their dogs have to almost tie their dogs down like a crazy person if they go somewhere - simply because morons don't know how to deal with them.. So yeah.. I don't believe most things I hear and see on TV.

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast